Strange foods that taste good

Newt

Or else the first marmite was meant to be vegimite.

My local carp love a bit of marmite on the outside of the bait. I enjoy it too but the stuff is so expensive here I only use it for bait flavouring.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Marmite thread on another forum I use, I was sure someone had said that they put Marmite in scrambled egg, so I tried it.

From a culinary perspective it was not a disaster but not great either, from a visual perspective it was like babies nappy on toast and much as I like Marmite I won't be doing it again.

I am genuinely interested in the Marmite toothpaste, who makes it?

Vegemite?............pffftttttt.

The Toothpaste......

marmite001.jpg

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Discovered in Waitrose this week, not sure if its limited edition or not.

There were only three there, so we got all three.

The boys at N4lly towers hate the stuff, but the ladies cant get enough of it.

marmite002.jpg

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Err. Presumably that second "Marmite" should have been "Bovril" - except of course that's veggie as well these days.

Doh! Yes, Bovril. And the good news is that they've gone back to the old condensed cow recipe - the veggie version was just like Marmite!

cooked it ln the oven for 2 & half hours, was still very tough, going to cook up the next one & then put it in a hay box overnight, see if that tenderises it any more.

Anyone else failed to cook this particular cephalopod ? Any tips ? other than basting in marmite.

Yeah. Cook it barely enough. It's like liver - slightly over-cooked and it becomes like rubber and then you're facing hours to re-tenderise it.

Cut into 2cm cubes, bunged on a skewer and flash fried or blasted on a bbq for a few minutes is about all it takes. The twiddly thin bits even less ...

mmmmmm :)

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Yeah. Cook it barely enough. It's like liver - slightly over-cooked and it becomes like rubber and then you're facing hours to re-tenderise it.

Cut into 2cm cubes, bunged on a skewer and flash fried or blasted on a bbq for a few minutes is about all it takes. The twiddly thin bits even less ...

mmmmmm :)

Looks like i need to go on a cephalopod hunt this weekend :huh::)

Looks like i need to go on a cephalopod hunt this weekend :huh::)

Oh - and in these parts they say you must whack the freshly-caught octopus on rocks 100 times, to tenderise it.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

A fine eating fish :thumbs:

I caught one fly fishing the surf in Turkey - it tasted OK, but not that great. There must be loads of different species though.

I got a brill from the fishmonger on saturday - now there is a fine tasting fish! :thumbs:

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I got some Humbolt squid from the local Wing Yip and the usual fast/light cooking didn't work.

I suspect that the octopus might be the same.

Time for the black beans ginger and sherry for about three hours.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Will try the same with a buttlefish, if i can get hold of one, local post office don't seem to want to stock em :huh:

Cuttlefish in the mediterranean style. Take one cuttlefish and clean out in the sink or bathtub.

Sweat a chopped onion or two with garlic in two glugs olive oil, add a glass of red wine and reduce for 2-3 minutes, add a tin of tomatoes,10-20 chopped olives, a spoonful of capers and then the cuttlefish (add the cuttlefish ink if you still have it). Put the lid on and simmer for 40 minutes. Eat with crusty bread. It's delicious!

Octopus - chop it into 2 inch chunks, put a glug of olive oil in a pan, put it on a low light, add the octopus. After an hour of simmering it will have cooked through in its own juices. It's lovely.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."