The CA again!!

Peter Waller

I went to the recent Royal Norfolk Show. Great day out, had lunch with Prince Charles! Well, we were noshing our sarnies in the W.I. marquee when he came in and lots of Women's Institute members made suitably ingraciating noises.

That aside I noticed a great deal of activity at the Countryside Alliance stand. Great big banner proclaiming their support for angling, right besides a pen full of fox hounds. Not an angler in sight, lots of hunting types and pictures of foxes, plus reams of tenuous reasons why fox hunting with dogs should continue, but no anglers. Yet there we were, whether we liked it or not, being paraded as a major part of the CA.

A friend of mine is a journalist, as well as a very fine piker. He recently had lunch with Charles Jardine of the CA. My friend's name is Chris. Chris commented that Jardine is a really nice bloke, totally sincere, but woefully lacking of any understanding as to why most anglers wish to keep their distance from the CA.

Chris has reminded me that the CA is opposed to the closure of rural services, yet it has shares in Barclays bank, a bank that has closed more rural branches than just about any other.

The CA is also opposed to building on greenfield sites, yet the CA apparently has shares in a major building company that builds more houses on greenfield sites than any other builder.

My view is that the CA wishes to support angling as a way of making it seem that 'the hunt' is as harmless and popular as angling. The more we are seen to associate with these people the more we, angling, will be seen as an unacceptable bloodsport.

I know Martin Salter is not seen in a positive light by many on AN, perhaps with good reason, but surely it is better to follow his line of thought and make friends with environmental groups rather than bloodsport groups.

Yes I know that I keep harping on on this subject, but we have many new members since the last outburst!

The closer we get to a hunting ban the more desparate the CA appears to be. My friend Chris is of the opinion that once the hunting ban goes through then the CA will more or less collapse. Have to say that that is also my opinion.

The Royal Norfolk Show was a great day out, and the CA was there in force, revealing itselve in its true colours, without an angler in sight, despite a large banner supporting Angling.

The Trout & Salmon boys were at the show, good to see them. But they were nowhere near the CA stand, I wonder why?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right on this one Peter.As I have said before I have an even greater dislike of people telling others what they can and cant do than my dislike of hunting but sadly I feel we must distance angling in any form from the CA and any other pro blood sport body.I have no doubt that if or should I say when the antis eventually ban hunting they will surely turn their attention firmly on angling.Lets deal with it then rather than just go down with the CA's sinking ship.A bit selfish maybe but I too believe that this recent chumming up of hunting and angling wouldnt have happened if the roles had been reversed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I personally would have no association what so ever with the CA, and to my mind Charles Jardine is nothing but an apologist for coarse angling. One of the stated aims of the CA leadership is to get rid of any rural representing Labour Party M P's, and on that basis I find it difficult to understand how some Labour M P,s can have ANY connection with the organisation.

I may have said this before, but the CA under it's true colours, The British Field Sports Ass,( I think it was Ass) threatened angling clubs in the Malton area that they would lose their fishing rights if the clubs did not show support for the local Ass'n.

Now all of a sudden, as if by magic, we are all brothers fighting the same cause.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Peter, apart from the Trout and Salmon tent, were there any other Angling Associations, or Organisations present ?

Like the NFA, SAA, etc. etc.

I think your, "Barclay Bank acount and shares in large building firm that builds on green field sites", was exposed some months ago as untrue and just anti propaganda.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Totally agree with the sentiments slready stated and would add that all branchs of angling need to pull toghether to protect our sport. Carpers, pikers, match anglers and general coarse anglers, we need to speak with one voice on protecting our sport.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Dont now if Im doing the right thing here, have a look at the bottom left hand corner of the Maggotdrowners home page may be of interest to some of you.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

Cranfield:

Peter, apart from the Trout and Salmon tent, were there any other Angling Associations, or Organisations present ?

Like the NFA, SAA, etc. etc.

I think your, "Barclay Bank acount and shares in large building firm that builds on green field sites", was exposed some months ago as untrue and just anti propaganda.

Unfortunately not, they should have been. Re the propaganda, I'll ask. As I said my friend had lunch with Jardine, plus there was a CA lady who is their propaganda, whoops, sorry, who is their press spokesperson. It was a working lunch and maybe said propaganda was discussed. Fair point. Doesn't alter my opinion though!!

Well, its nice to know that someone was there representing me (an Angler). :)

Pity all the others couldn,t turn up.

Probably too busy being important.

The ironic thing there was, that I originally typed "important" as "impotent", perhaps I should have left it uncorrected.

They weren't representing either of us Cranfield, just dragging us along to make them look good! The annoying thing is I wasn't able to stand up and say 'No, I'm an angler and I don't support fox hunting with hounds.'

Oh no Peter, you are wrong.

They were representing me.

Anyone that presents fishing in a good light to the general public(which I try to do), is representing me.

I,m suprised that your principles didn,t extend to actually standing up and saying, " 'No, I'm an angler and I don't support fox hunting with hounds.'

I try to ensure that everyone (who is interested), :) knows that I support all Country Sports.