The CA again!!

Peter Waller

Not how the public see things Beebs. As mentioned in the other posts, slimy fish and fluffy four legged animals are seen in a different light.

Take those stag hunts.. shooting the animal in the leg, chasing it for miles. Or ripping a fox to pieces. Do you think joining forces with this type of behaviour will help us Anglers? Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Fishing for slimey fish and hunting four legged animals *is* seen differently to most of the public apart from the insane few.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it boils down to not 'abusing' only mammals then?

I think a lot of anglers would have an issue with that!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

barblesss:

Not how the public see things Beebs. As mentioned in the other posts, slimy fish and fluffy four legged animals are seen in a different light.

Take those stag hunts.. shooting the animal in the leg, chasing it for miles. Or ripping a fox to pieces. Do you think joining forces with this type of behaviour will help us Anglers? Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Fishing for slimey fish and hunting four legged animals *is* seen differently to most of the public apart from the insane few.

Never disagreed with you barbless. I argued very strongly before the Lib/Liv march that I thought it was a bad idea to be seen to jump into bed with the CA and nothing has changed my mind since then. What I was saying is that like it or not, the CA are using angling as one of their netwrok of suppport groups whether we approve or disapprove. My point was that the angling bodies are not speaking out for us.

I don't like the fact that the CA have conveniently used anglers to boost their numbers so it would appear that hunting has better support than it does. After all, how many people associated the march with angling? What was public perception? That anglers are marching to show their numbers against a growing anti movement? Or that a load of pro-hunt people were marching on London, some of them are fishermen who probably support hunting as well?

The CA have been very clever in using us to increase their ranks and we have let it happen. Where do you turn? Where are the Angling bodies? Who is standing up for those of us who disagree with us being lumped in with the CA? That is why I think we are pretty much screwed. If the angling bodies don't represent the people who spend their days and weekends on the banks then they need to shaken up big style. There are too many of them and they are too distanced from everyday fishermen. When was the last time one of them canvassed you for support?

I think angling needs ONE governing body as it's public voice and coarse, game and sea should have their own representatives inside that body. Democratically elected by the people who participate week in week out - us.

I'm a member of a few a fishing forums and I have never seen one angling body representative post anything and to my mind, the internet is where the most information is shared and views discussed yet none have any representation here.

There is of course another solution..join the Ca and get them to concede the fight on foxhunting and then convince the public that they have "seen the light" and thus get the public back onside.

Something along the lines of "we are not really bloodthirsty baddies"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The Countryside Alliance hasn,t "used Anglers to boost their numbers".

They only ever claim to represent their membership.

If that includes any Vicars, then they represent those individuals, not the whole Church.

Quite a lot of Anglers, shoot, hunt with dogs and/or ferrets and follow other Country Sports.

If they choose to join the CA, thats their decision.

Before anyone quotes how many Anglers there are in the UK, check out on the EA website, how many licences were sold last year.

Allow that some people bought two, but add on those that only fish in the Sea, they bought none.

The number won't reach 3 million, doesn't matter how you stretch your imagination.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I'm sorry Cranfield, I have to disagree with you there. The CA is quite clear, they are, unasked, campaigning for Angling. No ifs, no buts, they state that their campaign is for Angling. Not just some anglers, not just anglers who shoot, not even just evangelical anglers who breed ferrets, but anglers, without any stated exception. They never asked anglers if they could represent them, they just did it. Angling means all of us who go Angling, and that I object to with great sincerity. They do not represent this angler, no way. I have no wish to be seen to be associated with those who kill with dogs.

[ 30. July 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:
Originally posted by Beebs:

Aren't there 3 million anglers in Britain?

quote:
Originally posted by Cranfield:

Before anyone quotes how many Anglers there are in the UK, check out on the EA website, how many licences were sold last year.

It wasn't a statement it was a question, hence the question mark. It's a number I've seen and heard being thrown around. I don't know exactly how many people go fishing any more than anyone else, but like I said earlier, it's totally irrelevant. 2 million, 3 million, 0.5 million. Quoting EA licence sales is half the story. Without wanting to get bogged down in the morality of licence dodging, but there are still a percentage that don't buy one. Scottish, Irish and sea anglers don't need one. So then you're only talking about licence paying coarse and game anglers in England and Wales. The largest participation sport in this country has poor representation and a part of that blame has to fall on angler's own apathy also.