The CA again!!

Peter Waller

Peter, I fish for pike , does that mean PAC represent me, whether I like it or not ?

What about carp and barbel groups, I fish for those as well ?

If three bearded rockling have an Appreciation Society, do they take up the cudgels on my behalf ?

I think the answer to my questions is "No".

Beebs, my comment about angling numbers was not aimed specifically at you.

The assumed numbers (up to 5 million), are often bandied about on here.

Images are projected of millions of anglers marching on Downing Street, to protect our sport. :rolleyes:

Like you, I despair that angling cannot get a single, unified, National body to represent all its interests.

No Government will take seriously, the hotch potch we have at the moment (with the possible exception of the Sea Angling groups, who have European muscle and are assumed to fish for the pot).

Angling won,t be banned overnight.

Rather there will be the insidious things, like banning live bait, keepnets, no fishing on public land and national parks, certain baits, etc.

Sound familiar ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this part of the country, Bristol Uni is associated with anti activity so this comes as a little surprise!

New research from Professor Stephen Harris of Bristol University, funded by IFAW, suggests the British fox population has remained stable at around 250,000 for the last twenty five years, and that habitat can be as important as population management in determining densities.

The long-term stability of the British fox population proves that the current system of managing foxes, using hunting, shooting and other legal methods, is working perfectly and producing a stable and sustainable population acceptable to farming interests. One part of that management has been the creation and conservation of natural habitats by hunts, which has been carried out for hundreds of years and is recognised by a number of reputable research establishments as having far reaching biodiversity benefits.

The findings are, however, entirely consistent with the most comprehensive survey of fox numbers recorded by 200 hunts twice a week throughout the autumn and winter. In the absence of any evidence that hunting is any less humane than other methods of control, as confirmed by the Burns Report, it would seem that Professor Harris’ work proves that the best result for foxes, wildlife and farming is achieved by enabling the current proven systems of management to continue.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Thank you Jim, you have made the point exactly. Fox are controlled so as to provide so called sport. If fox are vermin, a pest, destroyer of chickens etc. then hunting should, as it was with coypu, be aimed at eradication. Fox are 'controlled' to provide a style of sport that should, like pike gorge baiting, be assigned to the history books.

Re the reply from both yourself and Cranfield re my point that the CA has chosen to represent angling, pedantic in the extreme. Based on past replies I would have expected far better from both of you!

Peter, I take exception to you referring to my "representation" reply as "pedantic".

Its a fair question I pose.

If you are unable to answer it sensibly, say so.

Don,t hide behind dismissive tactics.

Show me where the CA claims to represent all Anglers in the UK.

Cranfield:

Peter, I take exception to you referring to my "representation" reply as "pedantic".

Its a fair question I pose.

If you are unable to answer it sensibly, say so.

Don,t hide behind dismissive tactics.

Show me where the CA claims to represent all Anglers in the UK.

Every time I see the CA at a country show, or whatever, large as light is a banner, normally bigger than anything else on the stand, pushing the CA Campaign for Angling. The word is 'angling', not CA members that go fishing. I had hoped that my previous posting, the one that started with 'I'm sorry Cranfield', would have answered your question.

I'm sorry that you didn't like my style of reply, but I stand by it.

[ 31. July 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Oh look, another "New Poster". :rolleyes:

I enjoy debating with you Peter and I respect your viewpoint, but you disappoint me by your evasive response.

I suspect people are getting tired of this topic.