!help help help!

mad569797

hi ppl

i have just joined 3 medway valley fisheries lakes trout, ford and woodlands i hv had 2 blank sessions on woodlands and dnt know what im doing wrong aint even had a bite its like 30ft deep i must of see 30-40 fish swimming up near the top but not on the bottom where my bait was lol, cant think y but the depth is really playing on my mind. im only a beginner so any advice on what i should do or try??? would be very very helpful.

thanks

paul

Welcome to Anglers' Net.

Since you are seeing some near the top (what species?), have you tried fishing for them near the top?

The coldest water is found near the bottom if the lake is deep enough (even when the surface is frozen) so they may prefer to come up where it is a little warmer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Their website says the average depth is 18 feet, so as well as the deeper parts, there must also be some shallower areas. As location in a water of this size is the key to catching, I'd either try targeting the fish that you can see, as Newt suggests, or using a marker float set-up to find out about any underwater features that might be patrol routes for feeding fish.

http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/marker-float-setup.html

The link from DavyR's post give a complete how-to for doing that.

Float fishing wouldn't be much fun with carp rods but if carp is what you want, you can certainly fish a pop-up as high in the water as you wish or locate water of a depth that suits the fish.

You might also want to get an inexpensive float rod and when nothing is happening on the bottom, reel in one rod and do some float fishing while you wait for a take on your remaining bottom rig.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Something to try when you see carp on the surface is a thing called a running zig rig. Essentially it allows the use of a good casting weight to whack the bait out a distance without really having to know the depth first. The cast out bait will be floating but will stay put in the position you cast to. To achieve this all you need is to slide a free running ledger clip up the line followed by a decent size bouyant stopper (something like a small cork ball) to prevent the weight dropping onto the hook when you make the cast and then one of those rubber grippa stops to hold it all in place. Finish the rig off with your hook and bait and for this I usually use the crust of a sliced loaf cut into an inch strip and rolled up tightly attached to hook via a bait band. Set the grippa stop about a metre from the hook and cast the whole lot out leaving the line slack until you see the white crust on the surface. You can then opt to fish it right on the surface or if ducks are present all you need to do is pull it back under the surface by a measured amount of your choice. If the carp take this from the surface be prepared for some manic action! Usually they will make one attempt and leave it and soon after return and smash it down with a big puddle. As with any surface fishing it is best if you can get the fish going with some free offerings first. Chum mixers are good for this

Hi Paul,

The first thing that springs to mind is the Zig Rig. This is a great rig for carp cruising in the upper water layers when the temps are on the rise. As long as you use a boyant bait (fluro pop up or even a piece of cloloured cork!) you will catch. Alter the length of the hooklink to the depth you see them cruising at.

The only problem is the depth (30ft), but this can be overcome by placing the hooklink (20ft) in a bucket before casting.

There is lots of advice on the net if you type in Zig Rigs.

Good luck.

Babel.

As a new angler I would imagine that talk of zig rigs, marker outfits and all the rest is like another language. Fishing can be horrendously complex - but it can also be beautifully simple. My very simple advice is that, if the lake you're fishing is very deep and you're finding it difficult to fish it effectively, find a shallower lake and fish there :)

On the other hand, if you want to catch fish (especially carp) which are near the surface, you can use baits that float (like dog biscuits and bread crust) and watch the fish suck them off the surface - very exciting! If the fish are not far out you can freeline these baits (just a hook on the line) or use a float with all the shot around the float and none near the hook to cast further out. There are special floats for surface fishing called 'controllers' that are useful for this, and they cock themselves so you don't need to use shot.

General advice is, fish where the fish are. If that's on the surface, that's where your bait needs to be. That's why starting off by floatfishing is a good start, as it teaches you to make changes and experiment with different depths to get bites, rather than always legering on the bottom.

Although I still reckon that a lake that averages 18ft depth is going to be a hard lake for anyone to fish, let alone a beginner!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

thanks guys i have had a look on you tube to see how to make a zig rig seems like something ill be able to do easily and im looking forward to friday when ill be going back there to have another go n with the tips you hv gave me i feel i have a better chance now :)

thanks once again to all of you.