Tyre Recommendations

Elton

I would echo the comments on Camskill and on the Toyo T1R. I put them on the MX-5, and they were excellent, and very reasonably priced. Two things to be aware of - they aren't reckoned to be very stiff in the sidewall, which can make them feel less sharp on turn-in than something like a Bridgestone RE040, and they take longer to scrub the release compound off than any other tyre I've tried, a good couple of hundred miles being needed before they feel fully grippy. They also tend to be more popular on lighter cars - a popular alternative on heavier high performance cars is the Falken FK452. We had them on the front of the 350Z when we bought it, and they were OK, but they were nearly worn out, so hard to say. Brand new Bridgestones feel a lot better, but not really a fair comparison.

They're a bit closer in pricing to premium brands now, but if you can get them in your budget, the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta did superbly in comparison tests against the market leaders and used to be very keenly priced.

Probably worth having a look at Evo owners forums to see what owners like, as some tyres suit some cars better than others. The Toyos were great on the MX-5, but I wouldn't put them on the Elise, because it's a very precise feeling car and the squidge would take the edge off it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if they do that over here, Newt. Maybe somebody could enlighten me?

Enlightenment here!!

It's a while since I sold up my tyreshop but not much has changed. The date should now be a 4 digit number [was 3] located in a "window" usually following the DOT marking.

Colin

Elton, quite seriously have you looked at ebay recently?? Find the make you want and have a stab!! I got myself two Michelin 245/17 for the silly money of £40 the pair!! Someone had bought them and fitted them and then decided to fit mud pluggers instead!! They would have cost me around £120 each!

But as for makes Khumo or Toyo are good tyres indeed.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Cheers, all.

I'll do a bit more reading this week.

Yes, Chris, I've looked on Ebay and may even get them there. I just want to select the right tyre first, then look for the best price, rather than be driven by price alone.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As a little aside, if your tyres are damaged by potholes, take photo's on the offending hole including at least one with a tape measure/ruler for showing the depth, then claim from your local council. You might not get anywhere with it, but there again, you just might.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Worth a try on the pothole damage, but they make you jump through so many hoops just to get your claim looked at, and then they only have to prove that it was previously inspected to schedule. We damaged an alloy on the MX-5 and just didn't have the time to pursue a claim and let it slip. They patched the hole almost immediately, but it is open again now. You can see it here, taken last summer after they patched it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...,32.73,,1,19.18

• 4 months later...

I eventually ordered these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170526809367

Hopefully, they'll arrive tomorrow. I've already sourced a garage to fit them :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hopefully, they'll arrive tomorrow. I've already sourced a garage to fit them :)

Don't forget that those Toyos take a while to scrub in - be a bit careful until they have!