first session of the year

spud mckay

went fishing yesterday at my local ponds,i got down there for 6 am the ponds were nice a calm with a bit of a breeeze but the breeze was qute chilly any how i decided to use a waggler float with 2 aa or 2 aaa and i was on 3 pound line useing a size 16 hook,the bait i was useing was worms,the first 3 or 4 fish i caught was little rudd then i had about 10 tiny perch,the fishing was really slow and the bites werent thAT GOOD

anyway at 1pm id caught about 14 fish all together all dead small so i decided to pack up and go home

why do you think i was getting very little bites,or was i useing the wrong set up

and give me some advice to try improve my catch rate next time i go fishing

Hi Spud,

I am assuming you are a beginner.

If you want more bites use maggots, consider a smaller hook to nylon also.

Make sure your waggler (insert waggler is better) is shotted right down so only a 1/4 inch of the tip is above the surface (it takes a few adjustments to get it right).

If you want bigger fish, make sure you plumb the exact depth of your swim. Make sure you are fishing a few inches over depth so your bait is definitely hard on the bottom. Cast out farther than you need then dip the rod tip under water and reel in until all the line between float and rod is sunk. Use sweetcorn or small cubes of luncheon meat as bait on a size 12 hook. Carp and tench can be caught very close in (especially tench) don't be tempted to cast to the middle of the pond. Make sure the anti-reverse on your reel is on and set your clutch accordingly because tench and carp are strong fighters. 3lb line may be a bit feeble for these species for a beginner. A bit of groundbait is good if your ponds allow it.

The other day i caught 20 crucian carp in two hours while everyone else on the pond struggled. What was i doing different? well as gobio said i was fishing with the shot dotted right down so the float was just a blimp in the surface, everyone else had their floats pointed out of the water like periscopes. i was using single red maggot on an 18 hook and fishing close in, concentrating the free offerings in a tight ball. i feed a hand full of trout pellets every so often and six or so maggots every cast. the float was very sensitive and i hit every movment even lift bites. try giving this a go.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks Dan, I would agree with tiny cubes of meat especially if gudgeon or rudd start becoming a nusience. i forgot to mention before i like a no 8 shot a couple of inches from the hook to hit lift bites.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/