Rumours

Tony U

I think Den is just a carper (in disguise), and winding us all up with this, I stand by what I said pike biting through lines so often and to so many on one lake in such a short period that the carpers want a cull of the pike...Bull***t and B*****ks.

Maybe they would do better learning how to fish and look after their tackle and stop exaggerating what most anglers over a great many years have considered a rare event.

After all (hehehe) you can't call sitting in a chair waiting to hear an electronic noise, from one of possibly several rods, especially when it is followed by the dragging in of a fish with strong line on what almost amounts to a power winch, from a puddle which has been artificially stocked and artificially fed, angling in the true sense.

Then there are the bait boats carrying both bait and hooks to where the sonar and underwater camera's have spotted fish...hehehe...it just cracks me up.

Perhaps Carp fishers should be called armchairers (not a true word but it made me smile)...hehehe

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Den is just a carper (in disguise), and winding us all up with this, I stand by what I said pike biting through lines so often and to so many on one lake in such a short period that the carpers want a cull of the pike...Bull***t and B*****ks.

Dispite not encountering this problem myself of Pike swimming in to and biting through my main line, if Den says it happens based on his experiences then I believe it happens. The whole point of being a member of AN is to share our experiences, new methods etc and if some one relates a fishing experience that has happened to them, then I tend to believe them. That's the difference from information on this forum and the stuff that you find in the angling press.

After all (hehehe) you can't call sitting in a chair waiting to hear an electronic noise, from one of possibly several rods, especially when it is followed by the dragging in of a fish with strong line on what almost amounts to a power winch, from a puddle which has been artificially stocked and artificially fed, angling in the true sense.

Perhaps Carp fishers should be called armchairers (not a true word but it made me smile)...hehehe

Actually I do classify sitting on a chair behind multiple rods waiting for my Delkims to go off as angling, it may be a different form of the sport but is just as valid as some one wondering along a river bank with a 100 year old cane rod or centre pin. To me whether you are a traditionalist, match man, pleasure angler, carper or any other tag people like to throw around they are all valid and like Den I do get a little narked when people blame and bash Carp Anglers all the time.

I fish for lots of species and guess I am an all rounder, but I do love Carp fishing. So give the Carp boys a break :D Plus you can bet your bottom dollar they have a kettle and biscuits on them and if you are nice about them you might even get a brew :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I fish for lots of species and guess I am an all rounder, but I do love Carp fishing. So give the Carp boys a break :D Plus you can bet your bottom dollar they have a kettle and biscuits on them and if you are nice about them you might even get a brew :D

I think you'll find (and something that some 'carpers' seem to miss) that it's not actually carp or those that fish for them that are the butt of jokes or comments Stephen. It's the preoccupation that the angling press, tackle manufacturers,etc have with them that causes the problem. The commercial obsession with them drives me up the wall. The fisheries that have been ruined by mass stocking, the stocking of record or specimen sized fish just for the commercial gain or kudos among those that chase them, is another thing. The non angling public and many newcomers think that carp are the only fish of interest to anglers, anything else is somehow 2nd class.

No, I don't normally have a problem with any legal type of fishing, but do have when it is pushed in my face then rammed down my throat at every turn. Carp can be a lovely looking powerful fish, and in the past I have spent time in pursuit of them myself. But I can't get excited over someone photographed holding a bloated, pot bellied, artificially fed, specimen, put there solely to attract anglers, or reading his account of how he spent 6 weeks on the bankside and had to put up with nuisance tench and bream spoiling his session.

That's just my view though.

PS, The brew that they might offer, it wouldn't be 'Special' would it? :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

PS, The brew that they might offer, it wouldn't be 'Special' would it? :D

John.

Absolutely, you know what tackle tarts Carp Anglers are like, only the best brands for them. Ohhhhhh Nooooooooo now I'm doing it :D

Special Brew and Carp, it has that magic tone like bacon and egg :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Actually, Dales does a pretty mean bacon sarnie so if you ever come across him on the bank, don't pee him off too much :D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Actually, Dales does a pretty mean bacon sarnie so if you ever come across him on the bank, don't pee him off too much :D

Don't tell everyone or they will all want one :secret::D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Sorry Dales but you just pushed this Toads button, please read all the postings before being as stupid as I am, having failed to fully grasp points made by others, you are doing just as I have been accused of doing jumping...hehehe...I'll move over and make roof for you with me on the crazy trampoline...hehehe

................................................................................

................................................................................

QUOTE (watatoad @ Apr 15 2010, 12:41 AM) *

Dispite not encountering this problem myself of Pike swimming in to and biting through my main line, if Den says it happens based on his experiences then I believe it happens. The whole point of being a member of AN is to share our experiences, new methods etc and if some one relates a fishing experience that has happened to them, then I tend to believe them. That's the difference from information on this forum and the stuff that you find in the angling press.

QUOTE (watatoad @ Apr 15 2010, 12:41 AM) *

Actually I do classify sitting on a chair behind multiple rods waiting for my Delkims to go off as angling, it may be a different form of the sport but is just as valid as some one wondering along a river bank with a 100 year old cane rod or centre pin. To me whether you are a traditionalist, match man, pleasure angler, carper or any other tag people like to throw around they are all valid and like Den I do get a little narked when people blame and bash Carp Anglers all the time.

Whoops! Dales, You must have missed this bit.

To QUOTE myself from a slightly earlier posting:

Hehehe...well Den I don't think you are a liar nor anyone else who says pike bite through lines, I believe that has been an accepted fact since pike first appeared.

But to bite through so many lines and be such a serious problem that Carp Anglers want a cull because they can't fish....That is the biggest load of Bull***t and B*****ks I have ever heard.

It's either a very late April Fools Day joke or moaning and whining from anglers who don't deserve to be called anglers, I wonder how they can even find their rears maybe they all have Sat nav's.

A cull of pike under such circumstances is even less sensible than proposing the removal of all non indigenous fish well at least those that have been introduced in the last 100 years... Wait a mo that might be a good idea...(that should cause an outcry)...hehehe

END QUOTE:

By the by, I don't fish with a 100 year old rod and a centrepin...hehehe...A rod and centrepin that old and in good enough condition to fish with would be worth selling to a collector, rather than to risk damaging it by actually using it.

I do have a almost finished brand new built cane rod which I have built from scratch, it will soon be ready to stand next to the new carbon I built a few weeks ago, and when its finished it will be a new fibreglass blank getting my attention, which will be followed by a solid cane.

In my opinion very few people fish for Carp, sure a lot of people pay a fair bit of money to drag artificially stocked and artificially fed fish from commercial mud puddles and those people do a wonderful job making money for the commercial owner and they are keeping many people in employment in the tackle industry around the world. I hear the cry's of some anglers I want to fish for exotics, I want this or that species introduced so I can fish for it. You want to fish for a non native species go to where it is native and fish for it there. I too enjoy fishing for exotics but I have enough sense to go where they are native. Traveling around the world does not have to cost as much as the potential damage to the indigenous fish stock would when as always has happened in the past the species gets out into our waterways.

But I personally cannot see any skill or ability other than the ability to haul tons of equipment and bait to the bankside and patience and a test of ones ability to withstand total boredom, in that so called type of fishing. So often I am reading " 'Oh! A carp nearly took my rod!'; 'I need multiple rods to give me a chance to catch a carp.' " and many similar variants.

I am an angler and if I am fishing for whatever species I prefer to trust my judgment and my skills as to when to strike rather than leaving to an electronic aid. Fishing to me is the last reserve of man dating back to primordial times of the hunter gatherers fishing in my opinion should require observational skills, river/watercraft, total concentration and attention, and it keeps me away from the total nanny state and culture that now exists in this country and is welcomed and accepted by so many. I am old enough to know and to have seen what happens when governments take total power and control.

Why should I give carpers a break? They have never given me one. Do they need one? Are they asking for one now? By the by I have not drunk tea in 49 years and alcohol in 41 years.

Dales, Look at it this way, since the 50's it has been the specimen hunters who took a lot of stick, then the match men, then the rivermen, then the pleasuremen, then the traditionalists. So now it looks as if some of the others have without agreement begun to give the carpmen what they have been giving out. I have seen men fishing for carp whom I greatly admire and respect, although they tend to use one rod and no skill saving equipment, just relying on their personal skills and abilities.

It seems to me and please correct me if I am wrong (as if anyone would do anything else...hehehe) although as this is based on personal experience I don't see how you can correct it (unless you are Dr. Who or some other form of time traveler). That buying the largest quantity and the latest and allegedly the best equipment is what makes a great carpman.

Maybe I should learn to love the logo's and designer labels...No I don't think so...I love what I find is good and what works best for me. I'm not a footballers girlfriend or wife or a celebrity or a politician. Just a fanatical and crazy cantankerous, grumpy old angler.

But we all digress this thread is about pike causing so much damage that the carpmen want a cull, funny because I want a cull of carp as many places are dangerously overstocked and a threat to the natural biodiversity plus not enough safeguards are in place to prevent non indigenous species getting into our waterways.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Sorry Dales but you just pushed this Toads button, please read all the postings before being as stupid as I am, having failed to fully grasp points made by others, you are doing just as I have been accused of doing jumping...hehehe...I'll move over and make roof for you with me on the crazy trampoline...hehehe

That would take some effort :D

Any way enough of this, I'm off to bore some fish in to submission as it must be the only way I could ever catch any.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007