New to pole fishing

spangles

Ive always connected my bung with a 6" loop rather than just tying it on. this gives you 6" of doubled up elastic which will help cushion things a bit if the single length bottom's out. Worth noting that if you have the loop to big the knot that makes the loop may jam in the pole and stop the doubled up bit working.

I was thinking something like this:

post-6391-1271434747_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking something like this:

post-6391-1271434747_thumb.jpg

:o

Looks bad to me Steve. When the light elastic bottoms out wouldn't it stop the heavier one stretching? Or am i not understanding it right?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

:o

Looks bad to me Steve. When the light elastic bottoms out wouldn't it stop the heavier one stretching? Or am i not understanding it right?

It means that the initial resistance is that of the fine elastic, until the loop of heavy elastic becomes taught, at which point the resistance increases to that of the heavy elastic - I'm thinking that the loop would be maybe 24 inches of heavy joined by 12 inches of light - so if your top two were 6', you would have 7' of heavy, you would tie loops 2' apart at the butt end of it and join the loops with 1' of light - meaning that your heavy elastic doesn't take full tension until a foot of it is out of the pole.

It means that the initial resistance is that of the fine elastic, until the loop of heavy elastic becomes taught, at which point the resistance increases to that of the heavy elastic - I'm thinking that the loop would be maybe 24 inches of heavy joined by 12 inches of light - so if your top two were 6', you would have 7' of heavy, you would tie loops 2' apart at the butt end of it and join the loops with 1' of light - meaning that your heavy elastic doesn't take full tension until a foot of it is out of the pole.

Right yes i think ive got it now. More to help with small fish on a heavier elastic than biggger fish on a light one?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I will try and do a diagram of the set up I use.Basically its two elastics of different strengths joined together.The weakest attached to the bung with a connector joining it to the heavier elastic. The heavier laccy runs through an internally mounted PTFE bush secured half way along the elasticated section. Small fish hook just the lighter elastic is in play to cushion and if a bigger fish is hooked the lighter laccy is bottomed out against the internal bush and the heavier one comes into play.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Right yes i think ive got it now. More to help with small fish on a heavier elastic than biggger fish on a light one?

Exactly!

Hmm, I might have to dig my pole out sometime, I've not fished with it in ages.

I will try and do a diagram of the set up I use.Basically its two elastics of different strengths joined together.The weakest attached to the bung with a connector joining it to the heavier elastic. The heavier laccy runs through an internally mounted PTFE bush secured half way along the elasticated section. Small fish hook just the lighter elastic is in play to cushion and if a bigger fish is hooked the lighter laccy is bottomed out against the internal bush and the heavier one comes into play.

These replies have been very helpful thanks guys. I have another question ;) ...is there a big difference landing a fish to whether you elasticate the top 2 or top 3sections or is it just a matter of preference? thanks again. :)

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

Bigger the fish and the heavier the elastic, the more sections I would elasticate.

I grew up in Audenshaw, where are you planning to fish?

Hi Steve, booked a 4 night stint here http://www.fisheries.co.uk/hamstall/cabin.htm

i am using my pole here for the first time because of the space it offers lol, my club water is the old priory mill lagoon in droylsden and it aint that pole friendly, people do fish it with the pole but they have lots of experience, but they still struggle at times. Thanks for the post. Dave ;)

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.