How much gear to take

DavidWliilamson

From your posting on the Bream topic, it looks like the lack of worms did not effect your catch's Well done mate.

I'm planning to try to keep to one barrow and just bring enough food, water and bait for one night down to the swim. Then the next day when I need to answer the call of nature, I can collect enough bait and food supplies from the car for the rest of the trip. So my fishing session plans are now based around trips to the loo :D

Oh no :o There will be a queue

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no :o There will be a queue

I've planned an itinery, loo break around 2 or 4 each afternoon when I expect things to be quiet on the fishing front. I'm hoping my body can stick to the timetable :D Then collect my evening meal and the next days breakfast and lots of bait if I plan to spod stuff out before the evening session.

My first 24 hour itinery for this weekend goes some thing like this.

Friday 23rd April

3pm Turn up, look around lake for swim.

4pm Quick Loo break and barrow stuff to swim bringing only enough bait and food for the night and next morning.

5pm Set up, spod etc and prepare evening meal.

7pm Catch monster sized Perch.

10.00pm start to catch eels on worm baits.

11.00pm Give up on the worms and change all rods to corn, boilies or pellet.

Saturday 24th April

1.00am Catch Monster sized Bream (Prob UK Record)

1.30am Reset rods and turn in for the night.

5.30am Woken from sleep by alarms and catch 10lb + Tench

7.00am Use the last of my food for breakfast.

Then continue to catch loads of Tench until lunch time.

1.00pm Head back to club house and car to restock up for the next 24 hours.

2.00pm Join queue for the toilet :D

Repeat above until time to leave, see it's easy once you have a good itinery :D The one nagging doubt is the catching eels, not sure if this is likely, but I will leave it in. It might happen.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

So there you have it, most of the anglers who have replied are guilty like me of taking extra's to do with safety, comfort, camping and personal survival. With the exception of bait which seems to have grown out of all proportion in types and styles to what it used to be anglers today take much more ground bait and pellets and boillies many are also still taking maggots, casters, sweetcorn, hemp, bread, cheese, luncheon meat, worms, cheese paste just to mention a few of the more traditional baits.

The other small thing is many anglers are older, considerably larger and less fit and supple than they were when young slim and lithe and for many perching on the ground, a small bag, tackle box or stool does not have the same attraction it had when they were younger.

Again as I think and the other posters appear to agree actual tackle for many anglers well at least those who have posted here has not increased very much, with the exception of the multiple fishing styles which some like to take with them. Most of us are traveling further and many are staying longer engaging in session fishing (at least overnight), towns have got much larger and many anglers these days have quite a journey just to get to a preferred or suitable fishing water. We are also more knowledgeable and take water with us rather than use river or lake water, we know about parasites and disease and the many illnesses, pollution and sewerage that are in most rivers and lakes.

The one thing which I notice is that they generally are trying to reduce the amount of equipment they take. Not everyone wants to take a waterproof sleeping bag or a poncho and eat cold rations, we fish for pleasure and personal enjoyment and are not in a survival or army training or military exercise, so anglers take more for personal comfort.

Just consider something as ordinary as going shopping fifty years ago you may walked or taken a bus and you would have taken a shopping bag, you would generally have some cash in your pocket...now you probably go by car have some cash money, debit and credit cards, loyalty cards, a mobile phone and many are also carrying a pair of glasses some of the older people might also be carrying medication and even a second pair of glasses. Plus many will be carrying personal music systems.

Like running a house it has got so much more complicated than it was fifty years ago with masses of extra paperwork and tons and tons of forms (which are needed in my opinion solely by local and national governments as an excuse for the continual increase in staffing levels, as various people expand their personal office empires).

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I've planned an itinery, loo break around 2 or 4 each afternoon when I expect things to be quiet on the fishing front. I'm hoping my body can stick to the timetable :D Then collect my evening meal and the next days breakfast and lots of bait if I plan to spod stuff out before the evening session.

Friday 23rd April

4pm Quick Loo break and barrow stuff to swim bringing only enough bait and food for the night and next morning.

Saturday 24th April

Repeat above until time to leave, see it's easy once you have a good itinery :D The one nagging doubt is the catching eels, not sure if this is likely, but I will leave it in. It might happen.

Had an idea

Why dont you cook your evening meal in the club house then you only need a tiny stove and kettle for a brew on the bank or just drink water.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Had an idea

Why dont you cook your evening meal in the club house then you only need a tiny stove and kettle for a brew on the bank or just drink water.

Yeah that would work and I could do something a bit more substantial then something straight out of a tin. But then my mind would start wondering, thats less time on the bank with your rods in the water. What if thats the time a Bream swims in to my swim. It might be the only time this ever happens in years and I'm up at the club house :o

My fishing is full of these what ifs :D On multi-night sessions I often stay up all night on the first night just in case I get a bite and think I might miss it by the time I get out of the bivy. But its good to have options and if I have to haul a lot of gear, its good exercise. I could do with shifting a few pounds.

I think I would struggle with out the stove and kettle, I think I could almost survive with out the food, but a hot black coffee is essential :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Friday 23rd April

Saturday 24th April

Wouldn't it be even easier just to phone for a take away...hehehe or book into a hotel or a b and b for a bit of food and sleep when you are not fishing

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Rod, reel and small soulder bag for me.

Funny as hell of an August afternoon watching the guys comming huffing and puffing along the riverbank barely able to carry all the junk that they have wth them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I must thank every one that has put in a post it has made for good reading and some valid points

David :D :D :D :D

Sorry David if we dragged the thread towards camping instead of fishing. But it is one of the reasons you see so many people hauling a tonne of gear.

After re-reading some of the thread, I got the feeling that maybe we should have covered why day ticket/short session anglers some times take so much gear. but again I think this is often due to a desire to fish in comfort. As we all know all you actually need to fish is a rod, reel, a little bit of bait and a few hooks, floats and weights.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Just had another thought, I forgot the amount of extra kit we bring these days for fish safety that I never used to have when I fished as a kid.

Care for our catch's is much better these days and I often bring 2 landing nets with me when fishing. One standard one for my general fishing, plus a large Carp net just in case I catch a monster. Add to this the unhooking mats, Carp care kit, weighing sling and things start to snow ball :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007