How to handle fish ?

KAUTO

May be a silly question but nobody has ever told me how to protect the fish from damage.

I see people have taken pictures of fish they have caught. How long can a fish stay out of water for ?

How do you hold a fish whilst taking a photo ?

General fish care ?

Keep them out of the water for as short a time as possible, think of yourself being held under water--you don't like it !!

NEVER use a cloth, wet or dry to hold a fish.

If possible always use a wet mat of a size of the largest fish you expect to catch, or the water holds.

When having photos taken keep the fish held low over a mat, just in case it flips, then it has less hight to fall, and lands on a safe mat = less damage.

In a way, think of how you would like to be treated if you were that fish.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

May be a silly question but nobody has ever told me how to protect the fish from damage.

I see people have taken pictures of fish they have caught. How long can a fish stay out of water for ?

General fish care ?

depends on species as to how long they can stay out of water but i would say unless its a really good fish i unhook and release in the water .If it is a big fish i have camera set up on stand before i fish and pointing still unhook fish in water take the weight in water then take to bank quick click back in may seem a little to over the top but certain fish ie pike dont last long out of water and a fish dead because of a photo is very sad

General fish care ?

watch korda dvd theres one you can get for free he explains all of this in the dvd to hold carp epecially larger carp you need to bend your elbows and if it even tweas bring the carp into your arms. i notice carp can stay out of water for quite a while alot of people i notice nowadays have a V-shape unhooking mat where it can also hold water, plus they have buckets and spread the water all over the fish.. just some of the thngs i have seen.

holding the bigger fish comes with experience and your probably better to ask someone to show you or watch the DVD mentioned,

i have seen people catch decent sized fish and run back to the car for a camera causing the fish distress and keeping the fish on the bank longer than necessary,

if you have got a camera with you and want a snap it will be ok as long as the camera isnt tucked away in the bottom of a bag,

its just common sense not to hold a fish out of water for too long just be careful and dont panic and everything should be fine