Help please - hooklength to mainline connection

Mummypea

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that you're well and truly confused by now Irene :angry: Just go to the link in Newt's post, tie the double overhand loop at the end of your mainline ( the line from your reel) after you have put on your float/weights and attach your hook to nylon using the loop to loop method also described on the link.

I'm sure that you're well and truly confused by now Irene :angry: Just go to the link in Newt's post.

its always handy to know other methods of doing anything in fishing, there are 3 options posted here.

1. loop to loop

2. uni knot to uni knot

3. swivel tied between 2 parts of line

each has its own advantages.

1. quik and easy

2. neat and tidy join, strong

3. tidy, strong, has some weight

with a (1)loop to loop irene may find that for the type of line a loop to loop may cause her line to tangle such as mines did once and i had to think of another method of joining my lines so i used a uni knot. something about joining 2lb greys g-tec hook length to 4lb diawa sensor using a loop to loop would cause tangles around the loop. a uni knot resolved that issue.

something similar could happen you just never know.

with a swivel as my mate andy macfarlane discovered when fishing for rudd and using a self cocking waggler there was a perfect amount of weight in the swivel that he could increase his catch ratio beause he needed no split shot on his 2lb hook length to reach the fish he was targeting and cock his float the way he wanted it too.

so im not quite sure why you're so angry ? and the information posted here is usefull for others who might be looking for an alternative way to attach a hook length, it could be the difference between a blank and the best session of you're life.

always known of it as a uni knot as well lutra

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

You can use two uni knots to join two lines together, in a diagrame it looks very similar to a blood knot. I think using the loop method is better when using low diameter lines.

The main difference between your "two uniknots" (aka Double Grinner) and the Blood Knot is that the loose ends come out either side of the Double Grinner, parallel to the main lineinstead of sticking out at right angles.

The double grinner is also easier and quicker to tie than the blood.

For what its worth, my method of tying a hook-to-nylon trace to main line is based on "horses for courses"

1. If it is a tiny hook on very fine line, (ie 3 lb BS or less) I use loop to loop (make loops with double overhand knots)

2. For short trace lengths of lines greater than 3 lb BS, I use the three turn waterknot as lutra suggests.

3. If the trace is too long for the water knot to be practicable, then tigger's double grinner is best

4. I often don't use a trace at all, but tie the hook direct to main line, using a grinner knot (I never use fluorocarbon as main line, only as traces)

5. For thicker mono lines (25 lb BS and more - seafishing territory) I join them via swivels.

6 Braid to nylon - I use a swivel.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest Big G

Take some advice from me - keep it simple.

As one angler said to me - the more complicated you make it - the more problem's you create.

Good luck - after reading the above, I think your going to need it :wallbash:

Some brilliant answers and advice here.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

its always handy to know other methods of doing anything in fishing, there are 3 options posted here.

1. loop to loop

2. uni knot to uni knot

3. swivel tied between 2 parts of line

each has its own advantages.

1. quik and easy

2. neat and tidy join, strong

3. tidy, strong, has some weight

with a (1)loop to loop irene may find that for the type of line a loop to loop may cause her line to tangle such as mines did once and i had to think of another method of joining my lines so i used a uni knot. something about joining 2lb greys g-tec hook length to 4lb diawa sensor using a loop to loop would cause tangles around the loop. a uni knot resolved that issue.

something similar could happen you just never know.

with a swivel as my mate andy macfarlane discovered when fishing for rudd and using a self cocking waggler there was a perfect amount of weight in the swivel that he could increase his catch ratio beause he needed no split shot on his 2lb hook length to reach the fish he was targeting and cock his float the way he wanted it too.

so im not quite sure why you're so angry ? and the information posted here is usefull for others who might be looking for an alternative way to attach a hook length, it could be the difference between a blank and the best session of you're life.

always known of it as a uni knot as well lutra

Andy, not really that angry but feel that sometimes the situation of the person asking for information is forgotten in the enthusiasm to assist, which is admirable but not always helpful. Irene states that she has just started out and the simple loop to loop method has got to be the easiest to master. Once she has more experience she can begin to look at others which on the surface may look more complicated. As regards the tangling, can't honestly say i have had major problems with tangling with the loop to loop. As regards others learning from the thread I totally agree but not if it serves to confuse the person asking for the advice originally. That is assuming that if others have reached the point that they are on the forum then they are able to post a request for information themselves

Edited by Bartman

That's true to a degree but most answers given on the forum, address the question, as asked by the person starting the thread and then expand on the subject, for everyone's benefit. Threads have a life of their own and they'll often expand well beyond the nature of the original question. It's not just a case of Q & A. Different members will have different opinions or ideas, some will agree or disagree or the thread may take a different path as it grows. Everyone is entitled to speak.

Where do you get the idea that the information given is in any way confusing for Mummypea. That's quite presumptuous and offence may or may not be taken by that assumption.

You had your say. How exactly are you helping Mummypea?? You are answering Andy are you not, so you're changing the direction of the thread also and as a member of this forum, you're more than entitled to do so.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's true to a degree but most answers given on the forum, address the question, as asked by the person starting the thread and then expand on the subject, for everyone's benefit. Threads have a life of their own and they'll often expand well beyond the nature of the original question. It's not just a case of Q & A. Different members will have different opinions or ideas, some will agree or disagree or the thread may take a different path as it grows. Everyone is entitled to speak.

Where do you get the idea that the information given is in any way confusing for Mummypea. That's quite presumptuous and offence may or may not be taken by that assumption.

You had your say. How exactly are you helping Mummypea?? You are answering Andy are you not, so you're changing the direction of the thread also and as a member of this forum, you're more than entitled to do so.

Andy we are going to have to disagree on this one. Irene by her own admission is just starting out and my viewpoint is that at this stage that simplicity is the best route and too much varying information can be confusing. I don't believe for one moment your suggestion that Irene's intelligence should be offended as it's the way we all started out, and her kind note of thanks seems to support this view.

On the subject of threads I concur with you that they do tend to go off subject sometimes to it's complete degeneration but surely the individual thread is for the benefit of the person originally taking the trouble to ask for the advice in the first place. If we require certain information then we all have the ability to ask for ourselves do we not ? My point is that in THIS circumstance, too much information or more complicated methods could prove confusing to somebody starting out. As regards the 'changing direction of the thread' didn't you do that before me by objecting to the fact that I suggested that Irene might be confused at that point and directing her to the simple loop to loop method suggested by one of the first persons to reply. As you say, on a forum there will be different opinions, that was mine, or am I not entitled to the same privilages as other forum users ? 'Everyone is entitled to speak' and I never at any stage claimed that they did not, however, your objection to what I have said seems to suggest that you harbour double standards on that front :D tight lines all !

Andy we are going to have to disagree on this one. Irene by her own admission is just starting out and my viewpoint is that at this stage that simplicity is the best route and too much varying information can be confusing.

I could be, it might be, but again, you're assuming it is. People are allowed to give different answers and for everyone's benefit.

I don't believe for one moment your suggestion that Irene's intelligence should be offended as it's the way we all started out, and her kind note of thanks seems to support this view.

Your the one suggesting she might be confused. Not me.

On the subject of threads I concur with you that they do tend to go off subject sometimes to it's complete degeneration

I didn't say anything of the sort. Read it again.

but surely the individual thread is for the benefit of the person originally taking the trouble to ask for the advice in the first place.

That doesn't mean the thread has to end and who are you to decide when that is?

If we require certain information then we all have the ability to ask for ourselves do we not ?

Yes. What's that got to do with anything?

My point is that in THIS circumstance, too much information or more complicated methods could prove confusing to somebody starting out.

Again, you're assuming the info. given is confusing. How do you know if anyone is confused?

As regards the 'changing direction of the thread' didn't you do that before me

No, you answered Andy_1984. Up till that point everyone was still discussing the rig....try scrolling back.

by objecting to the fact that I suggested that Irene might be confused at that point

That's because it's not your place to decide who is confused and who isn't.

and directing her to the simple loop to loop method suggested by one of the first persons to reply.

Mummypea can decide what answer she likes herself. It's not up to you to decide what she should do and what she shouldn't.

As you say, on a forum there will be different opinions, that was mine, or am I not entitled to the same privilages as other forum users ?

Yes. That doesn't detract from the fact you tore into Andy for confusing things.

'Everyone is entitled to speak' and I never at any stage claimed that they did not, however, your objection to what I have said seems to suggest that you harbour double standards on that front :D

No it doesn't. You must be confused.

tight lines all !

You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...