Which is more pleasurable – float fishing or ledgering?

tiddlertamer

Alongside Anderoo’s intriguing thread on which of rivers or still waters are more difficult, I thought I’d start a complementary thread.

Bur rather than concentrating on ‘difficulty’ as the measure, I thought I’d target another measure. I pondered on ‘effectiveness’ though decided to concentrate on another measure though feel free to bring either ‘difficulty’ or ‘effectiveness’ into it.

The measure was ‘pleasure’.

And the question was which is more pleasurable – float fishing or ledgering? On river or still water.

For me, nothing can match the pleasure of watching my float drift downstream as I battle to maintain natural line control. But I have also witnessed how devastatingly effective ledgering can be whilst fishing for chub and river bream.

95 per cent of my fishing is river fishing and 95 per cent of that is float fishing. It’s what I enjoy. But perhaps I’m missing out on other enjoyable and ultimately more rewarding tactics.

Views on a postcard please! (Actually – just get typing in the box below please. :) )

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on the moving water and float fishing! You won't ever get bored because you will be busy all of the time: 1: Throw out the float 2: shoot out some hemp/castors/maggots 3: mend the line 4: feed the line 5: wait for the float to dip under :) That is a lot more exciting than leggering...

I'm with you on the moving water and float fishing! You won't ever get bored because you will be busy all of the time: 1: Throw out the float 2: shoot out some hemp/castors/maggots 3: mend the line 4: feed the line 5: wait for the float to dip under :) That is a lot more exciting than leggering...

I'm sorry to say it but i prefure ledger, here are the reasons.

1, i take my family with me to over nighters, so whilst i sit back for the bite alarms to go off i play with my 3 year old and my 2 year old and my 11month year old, we draw and giggle and have fun just messing around.

2, i don't waste all staring into the lake, maybe i go to sleep if my wife has gone for a drive with kids etc etc

3, i love the bigger fish, i love catching large carp and catfish.

4, on ladger my blummin line does not get tangled, by wind, movement or any f sudden jolt of a 6lb line or under

5, i like to cast out far with float you cant...

6, i'm not the biggest fan of silver fish (my old man is)

7, i love trying to think of tactics to lure fish in to my swim by making rigs,baits,camo etc etc

8, you cant see a float in night unless u get an electronic light one..

9, ledger gives you better fights :)

10, ledger is just plain and simply better then float, only down fall to it is you dont catch as many fish on a ledger then you do on a float.

oh and i am a still water fan but will be trying out moving water this year..... hopfully :D

Edited by dean in devon

Whatever I am doing at that moment.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Alongside Anderoo’s intriguing thread on which of rivers or still waters are more difficult, I thought I’d start a complementary thread.

Bur rather than concentrating on ‘difficulty’ as the measure, I thought I’d target another measure. I pondered on ‘effectiveness’ though decided to concentrate on another measure though feel free to bring either ‘difficulty’ or ‘effectiveness’ into it.

The measure was ‘pleasure’.

And the question was which is more pleasurable – float fishing or ledgering? On river or still water.

For me, nothing can match the pleasure of watching my float drift downstream as I battle to maintain natural line control. But I have also witnessed how devastatingly effective ledgering can be whilst fishing for chub and river bream.

95 per cent of my fishing is river fishing and 95 per cent of that is float fishing. It’s what I enjoy. But perhaps I’m missing out on other enjoyable and ultimately more rewarding tactics.

Views on a postcard please! (Actually – just get typing in the box below please. :) )

As far as I am concerned there is nothing to beat the fun of a rolling ledger on a river. You can search out a swim better at many venues and in places like weir pools there is nothing to beat it. Being as you are holding the rod and the line, you feel every movement of the ledger which, if it is a link ledger, can be adjusted minutely, after a bit of practice you are able to interpret every little bump or knock at the terminal tackle.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

oh and i am a still water fan but will be trying out moving water this year..... hopfully :D

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise when you try it Dean.

For me float (or rolling) and moving water every time, you're always trying to make something happen and every cast is a new session.

There's just as much prep and planning required for still water fishing and I love wachting a quiver or bobbin move as much as a float but once your bait is out you wait for the fish.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

First; float fishing. Though this includes float/leger!

Second; freelining,

Third; rolling/trundling/legering without sufficent weight to hold bottom

Finally; legering.

Mind you, in winter I love legering! There has to be no trotting potential though.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I think it's horses for courses dependant on the conditions and locale but if i had to plump for one then for me there's nothing more pleasant than a warm summers dawn , watching a float top positioned close to a nice lily bed , watching the knocks , trembles and 'wobbles' as a tench feeds by your hookbait. There's that wonderful feeling of watching that float slide away that i don't get watching a quivertip/bobbin .

Mind you , touch legering also has a very 'direct' feel to it when fishing rivers !!!