Which is more pleasurable – float fishing or ledgering?

tiddlertamer

Damn you TT, that's not fair :rolleyes:

My initial reaction was, that's easy - float fishing on a small river. But when I think about it, the fishing I enjoy most of all each season is the winter chubbing - quivertipping. But how could I choose the tip over the float? That's the answer of the worst kind of scoundrel!

I love it all, but I'm afraid I will have to bow to my coarser instinct and choose legering on small rivers, as I value my beloved chubbing over everything else. (Sorry tench, bream and perch!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately watching a float disappear gives me the most pleasure as an indicator but the sheer excitement when you get a three foot pull of the tip when a barbel bites has got to rate highly in the list of angling pleasures knowing the huge arm wrenching battle that will soon follow

The first "beep" of the bite alarm can give you an adrenaline jolt as well :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Whatever I am doing at that moment.

Some interesting answers, but for me it's the float. No ledger

No float or maybe ledger. Now look what you've started. I cant make my mind up. i love both methods and as long as im catching on either im happy.

But i do really enjoy float, although...

Damn you TT, that's not fair :rolleyes:

My initial reaction was, that's easy - float fishing on a small river. But when I think about it, the fishing I enjoy most of all each season is the winter chubbing - quivertipping. But how could I choose the tip over the float? That's the answer of the worst kind of scoundrel!

I love it all, but I'm afraid I will have to bow to my coarser instinct and choose legering on small rivers, as I value my beloved chubbing over everything else. (Sorry tench, bream and perch!)

Last winter I went fishing with a pal who was quivertipping with cheesepaste and saw first hand what a devastatingly effective tactic it can be for chub on small rivers.

Meanwhile my float fishing with maggot on the same stretch of river resulted in scant reward.

But there is something intrinsically pleasant about the tactic of float fishing.

And as the old saying goes - the only thing more pleasing than the appearance of a float is its disappearance... :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It has to be float fishing for me, often at the expense of catching fish! I will often float fish when I know that another method will bring more success. I like the 'working it out' bit, and have to be doing something. I get it to a lesser extent when quiver/swing tipping, but not as much. Sitting behind electric alarms does nothing for me, I find it too detached from the actual fishing. I don't want to sleep, read, watch TV, go for a walk etc when I'm fishing, I just want to be fishing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Methods are the tools of the trade, and each method has different tools, each of which has a use that will give pleasure to an angler when it does what it says on the tin !!

Each water has many methods to get out the species that you want to catch. Angling is just part of what gives you pleasure, where, how and with whom makes a day angling.

ALSO A DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A DAY AT WORK OR SCHOOL. :clap:

Edited by tinca steve

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Last winter I went fishing with a pal who was quivertipping with cheesepaste and saw first hand how devastatingly a tactic it can be for chub on small rivers.

Meanwhile my float fishing with maggot on the same stretch of river resulted in scant reward.

I learnt that lesson the hard way 25 years ago - club match on a rising River Dane and I had drawn the fancied peg, a deep hole on a bend. I spent the whole match floatfishing maggot for very little, a couple of dace if I remember rightly. As I was packing up, a couple of local lads dropped into the swim with quivertipped cheesepaste and were almost immediately having their rods pulled off the rests by chub.

I did return the favour a few years ago, mind, pulling out a chub of 4lb or so on quivertipped breadflake from the bottom of the swim of a chap who was waiting to weigh in a couple of pounds of hard won gudgeon and roach. :D

I can't really choose between fishing with or without a float as I love both but if I had no choice and had to really choose one or the other then it would have to be the float.

There are so many different and enjoyable methods of float fishing and my heart stops every time a cloud of moving bubbles appears to move closer to my float or my float lifts or sinks whether I am long trotting, using the lift method, using a Trent-trotter on a shallow stream or fishing a small onion or dart on a stillwater chasing Rudd, or something else; the types of float fishing can seem endless.

But in truth two of my favourite methods are rolling or trundling some meat slowly along the bed of a stream or simply using a light link leger for Chub and Barbel both of which methods are enjoyable and can be necessary once the light starts to fade.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)