Why not a small tent

Cookiemonsta

Hi, excuse my ignorance but my son has recently taken up coarse and carp fishing whereas all mine has been done on the beach especially around winter time. Petrol prices have made me start coarse fishing and taking my son carping on his club waters. (He certainly isn't old enough to drive!). I shall be looking at night fishing with him for carp this summer and autumn and I was looking at the price of 2 man bivvies which seem fairly expensive. I don't think I've ever seen a small tent around the lakes, they can be substantially cheaper than a bivvy and do a similar job, and also in discreet dark colours. I'm not thinking winter time (that's codding time!) so plummeting temps wouldn't come into it. Is there some sort of rule against tents or is it just not the done thing for whatever reason? Any advice welcome thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cookiemonsta

It's really down to the clubs or fishery owners. They all have slightly different rules. Some will insist that it must be a bivvy and others do not seem to bothered what you use. I have fished places that insist on bivvys and also ones that have had a number of tents including bright coloured ones. When I used to fish my first club, I used a nice purple tent and no one passed any negative comments. Most people only commented that you must have plenty of room in there, and I did much more then most people with expensive bivies.

I guess your choice will depend on the place you wish to fish, the advantage of buying is a bivy is that you can take it anywhere and still be within most fishery rules. But if you are only planning to fish on your club waters and they have no rule saying no tents, then you can save a few quid and go with a tent. I would stay away from the bright coloured ones, as even if the club rules have nothing about the use of tents the bailiff may have a moan.

To be honest other then the top end bivies, most bivies are tents and you would be hard pushed to make a call as to which is which.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi Cookiemonsta

It's really down to the clubs or fishery owners. They all have slightly different rules. Some will insist that it must be a bivvy and others do not seem to bothered what you use. I have fished places that insist on bivvys and also ones that have had a number of tents including bright coloured ones. When I used to fish my first club, I used a nice purple tent and no one passed any negative comments. Most people only commented that you must have plenty of room in there, and I did much more then most people with expensive bivies.

I guess your choice will depend on the place you wish to fish, the advantage of buying is a bivy is that you can take it anywhere and still be within most fishery rules. But if you are only planning to fish on your club waters and they have no rule saying no tents, then you can save a few quid and go with a tent. I would stay away from the bright coloured ones, as even if the club rules have nothing about the use of tents the bailiff may have a moan.

To be honest other then the top end bivies, most bivies are tents and you would be hard pushed to make a call as to which is which.

Thanks, I'll check with the club he belongs to, other than that if I get some fabric letters and sew Nash, JRC or whatever I may get away with it!

Thanks, I'll check with the club he belongs to, other than that if I get some fabric letters and sew Nash, JRC or whatever I may get away with it!

hi lad, i use a tent where ever i go (family of 5) i baught the argos £99 absoulty huge,has two room and a middle room (wich can easly be made a bedroom, nobody should have a problem with you seing a tent, if anyone does do what i do, play the discrimantion law on them, (as it is actualy discrimination) if they don't let you on still there is law advice (but it never gets that far once you mention lawer they are like come come fish here tonight) happend to me before plenty :D i would not do it if i could afford a £300+ bivvy and they made a 5 person one (probs cost over £1000 heheh. but sumtimes you need to play it to get it, i know it sounds harsh but it's only way i can do it i am poor person but loves to camp and fish with my wife and my 3 little kids.

hi lad, i use a tent where ever i go (family of 5) i baught the argos £99 absoulty huge,has two room and a middle room (wich can easly be made a bedroom, nobody should have a problem with you seing a tent, if anyone does do what i do, play the discrimantion law on them, (as it is actualy discrimination) if they don't let you on still there is law advice (but it never gets that far once you mention lawer they are like come come fish here tonight) happend to me before plenty :D i would not do it if i could afford a £300+ bivvy and they made a 5 person one (probs cost over £1000 heheh. but sumtimes you need to play it to get it, i know it sounds harsh but it's only way i can do it i am poor person but loves to camp and fish with my wife and my 3 little kids.

Lol! I do actually have a tent, got from Argos and Nectar points. Cost me £45 in total after surrendering tons of points in a sale, trouble is it's got 3 beds snaking off a large round main room, supposedly nine berth and there's only the two of us. No pegs are big enough to take it in it's entirety! Guess I could just put the main room up and not peg out the rooms off of it. Not sure I'd go for discrimination but thanks for the idea!

Hi, excuse my ignorance but my son has recently taken up coarse and carp fishing whereas all mine has been done on the beach especially around winter time. Petrol prices have made me start coarse fishing and taking my son carping on his club waters. (He certainly isn't old enough to drive!). I shall be looking at night fishing with him for carp this summer and autumn and I was looking at the price of 2 man bivvies which seem fairly expensive. I don't think I've ever seen a small tent around the lakes, they can be substantially cheaper than a bivvy and do a similar job, and also in discreet dark colours. I'm not thinking winter time (that's codding time!) so plummeting temps wouldn't come into it. Is there some sort of rule against tents or is it just not the done thing for whatever reason? Any advice welcome thanks

Hi to be honest with ya i agree with dales but most fisheries do not mind what you use as long as you treat the fish with great care! as long as you and your son are comfy then it shudnt matter!!! the best thing u can do is find the lakes u wish to fish and do a few days there and when u both are ready to do the night ask if the will allow tents!!

You wont need a 2 man bivvy if you travel light but there are some bivvys you can get 2 in, with a squeze! i have seen so many different bivvy/tents on the bank to last me a life time! dont forget u can get a brolly system for cheap as well which shud get both of u under, some of ur gear mite poke out but u can store stuff under ur bed chair as well!!

happy fishing. tight lines

Martin (fatzy)

To fish or not to fish? That is the question!!!

PB Commom 30lbs (UK)

PB Mirror 27lbs 4oz (UK)

PB Ghost Mirror 15lbs 6oz (UK)

PB Mirror 46lbs 6oz (FRENCH)

As a venue owner over in France my personal view is I would not like to see brightly coloured tents all round our lakes it would just take away the atmosphere if thats the right word and spoil the setting.

Most tents are single skin and therefore subject to condensation which can be very uncomfortable waking up with your sleeping covered in water and also your other gear.

There are many cheap and excellent bivvies available on the market costing a little more than a tent but will last you years if looked after (but then you can spend a lot on a tent).

What's wrong with a tent like this then?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lichfield-Dakota-4...pd_sim_sbs_sg_4

When was a "bivvie" anything but a frigging tent anyway. Boy am I glad I'm not an angler of porcine cyprinids. If any fisheries owner told me I could put up a bivvie, but not a tent like that I know where I'd tell him where he could poke his fishery, his carp and his bl00dy bivvie.

Et, mon avie, le dernier contributeur parle que la merde.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

If your reply was addressed to me then please note what I wrote and I quote “I would not like to see brightly coloured tents all round our lakes".

I would have no problem with an all green tent.

If your reply was addressed to me then please note what I wrote and I quote “I would not like to see brightly coloured tents all round our lakes".

I would have no problem with an all green tent.

Sorry, that was maybe a wee bit strong, but your post smacked a wee bit of snobbery, something the Frog in me hates.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote