Why not a small tent

Cookiemonsta

It's frankly a fallacy that bivvies cost hundreds of pounds and tents don't. You can spend 100's on either or get one for 50-60 quid. I too wouldn't like to see bright tents around the lake, it gives the wrong impression - i.e. camping and not fishing.

The point of a bivvy is that a bedchair fits in with room, and that you can then fish properly and get out rapidly to strike a run. Tucked away in a tent, it's less easy to do that (IMHO).

Rob.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's frankly a fallacy that bivvies cost hundreds of pounds and tents don't. You can spend 100's on either or get one for 50-60 quid. I too wouldn't like to see bright tents around the lake, it gives the wrong impression - i.e. camping and not fishing.

The point of a bivvy is that a bedchair fits in with room, and that you can then fish properly and get out rapidly to strike a run. Tucked away in a tent, it's less easy to do that (IMHO).

Rob.

we use a tent from argos click here to view my tent it's not that bad to use for fishing as it has a quickrelese zip system too, if i was told to get off a fishery for my tent i would be getting the law involved due to discrimination. i'm not a rich boy but if i am to do overnighters thats the best i can do at the minute, but yeah i understand about purple or bright tents but at the end of the day i'm there to fish and the fishery is to make money off me fishing.. i don't see a problem eitherway

"i would be getting the law involved due to discrimination"

lol I heard it all now

from wiki

Discrimination' is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category. Discrimination is the actual behavior towards another group. It involves excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to other groups [1]. The United Nations explains: "Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection."[2] Discriminatory laws such as redlining have existed in many countries. In some countries, controversial attempts such as racial quotas have been used to redress negative effects of discrimination.

from wiki

Discrimination' is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category. Discrimination is the actual behavior towards another group. It involves excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to other groups [1]. The United Nations explains: "Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection."[2] Discriminatory laws such as redlining have existed in many countries. In some countries, controversial attempts such as racial quotas have been used to redress negative effects of discrimination.

But is setting a rule of "no tents" discrimination?

Surely it's just another rule a fishery owner is entitled to set.

It's no different to any other rule they set such as No Boilies, No Barbed Hooks, No Nuts, No Braided Lines, No driving on the grass. If we want to fish a venue then we should stick by there rules. We may not like or even agree with them, but I think a fishery manager is certainly with in his rights to dictate what is and what is not appropriate kit for use on his fishery.

If we don't like it, we can all ways find some other place to fish.

To be honest I do not really like to see tents on the bank or people dressed in bright colours. I know it's a little poncy to moan about these things as it's an aesthetic thing. I just think it looks better if people and kit blend in to the surroundings a little. When you look across a water, it just looks and seems better if the bivies blend in a little and people are dressed in more subdued colours. I am not saying every one should go around in camo and real tree, but for many the pleasure of fishing is the get away from city life and it's not all about catching fish. When other anglers and their kit blends in with the surroundings it helps create the illusion you have escaped from the rat race. When you see anglers moving about on the other bank in football tops and bright fluro coloured t-shirts it kind of looks wrong and spoils the ambiance.

I know it's very self indulgent to expect others to fit in with my views on this. It's just as well I am not a fishery owner as my first new rules would be.

1. No loud coloured clothing or hats

2. No bright coloured tents, bivies or umbrellas

3. No Awnings (I hate seen them set up on fishing venues)

4. No radios, CD players, I-Pods, TV's or other entertainment systems even with personel head phones. (Your here to fish)

To be honest other then not allowing fixed rigs, I doubt I would put many restrictions on the tackle, bait or method people used.

Just as well I am not a fishery owner :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

But is setting a rule of "no tents" discrimination?

Surely it's just another rule a fishery owner is entitled to set.

It's no different to any other rule they set such as No Boilies, No Barbed Hooks, No Nuts, No Braided Lines, No driving on the grass. If we want to fish a venue then we should stick by there rules. We may not like or even agree with them, but I think a fishery manager is certainly with in his rights to dictate what is and what is not appropriate kit for use on his fishery.

If we don't like it, we can all ways find some other place to fish.

To be honest I do not really like to see tents on the bank or people dressed in bright colours. I know it's a little poncy to moan about these things as it's an aesthetic thing. I just think it looks better if people and kit blend in to the surroundings a little. When you look across a water, it just looks and seems better if the bivies blend in a little and people are dressed in more subdued colours. I am not saying every one should go around in camo and real tree, but for many the pleasure of fishing is the get away from city life and it's not all about catching fish. When other anglers and their kit blends in with the surroundings it helps create the illusion you have escaped from the rat race. When you see anglers moving about on the other bank in football tops and bright fluro coloured t-shirts it kind of looks wrong and spoils the ambiance.

I know it's very self indulgent to expect others to fit in with my views on this. It's just as well I am not a fishery owner as my first new rules would be.

1. No loud coloured clothing or hats

2. No bright coloured tents, bivies or umbrellas

3. No Awnings (I hate seen them set up on fishing venues)

4. No radios, CD players, I-Pods, TV's or other entertainment systems even with personel head phones. (Your here to fish)

To be honest other then not allowing fixed rigs, I doubt I would put many restrictions on the tackle, bait or method people used.

Just as well I am not a fishery owner :D

for green: it's understandable for fish safty your own safty and enviromental.....

But for telling people your not fishing here because you have a tent is discrimination as you are singling this person out.

you have to remember some people cant afford bivvys. so next best thing is a tent, which was the in thing before bivvys.....

i agree on your loud clothing rule. personally i like to wear blue black or green (i know i have a pic in white top but it was a bloody freezing morning)

radios i think you should have just in case: ie weather reports news etc etc. with very low volume (next peg cant hear)

Edited by dean in devon

Mmm seem to have opened up a bit of debate here, my tent is dark green but the section I would use may be a bit big but I've just realised I have a full camo net I bought for my son's themed birthday party about ten years ago. It can hide a van (well...ish!) so it can hide a tent. I would of course adhere to any rulings and if I couldn't use a tent then by choice I wouldn't overnight that specific water. This thread has highlighted a few things though such as my pet hate when I'm fishing both beach or bank and that's the use of radios. Not so much a problem on the bank but by golly, on a beach or breakwater, totally obtrusive. Good point made by Dean though in that they can be useful for forecasts etc if you're in for a long stint if the volume is such it can't be heard at the next peg, however, another annoyance I have found when I've been around a lake why can't anglers talk quietly into their mobiles, most seem to shout around here and why can't they have them on vibration? More annoying than my lad tweaking his bite alarm!!! Anyway I've wandered off topic :o

for green: it's understandable for fish safty your own safty and enviromental.....

But for telling people your not fishing here because you have a tent is discrimination as you are singling this person out.

you have to remember some people cant afford bivvys. so next best thing is a tent, which was the in thing before bivvys.....

i agree on your loud clothing rule. personally i like to wear blue black or green (i know i have a pic in white top but it was a bloody freezing morning)

radios i think you should have just in case: ie weather reports news etc etc. with very low volume (next peg cant hear)

But setting rules on what people can and can not use is not discrimation.

Setting rules about a person whether they have the correct colour eyes or hair or what ever is discrimantion. If a fishery owner says no tents he is not discriminating against anyone, he is only setting a rule on the equipment that can be used on his fishery.

If his rule was no one can fish who live in a tent then he would be discrimating.

It's one of those things about puting rules and regulations down on paper you have to be so precise, otherwise they are open to interpretation.

So my take is that No Tents is just a rule about kit and not the person, and many fisheries have such rules. I think some of the Cemex waters have a rule that you can only use a brolly for night fishing and no bivies or tents.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

But setting rules on what people can and can not use is not discrimation.

Setting rules about a person whether they have the correct colour eyes or hair or what ever is discrimantion. If a fishery owner says no tents he is not discriminating against anyone, he is only setting a rule on the equipment that can be used on his fishery.

If his rule was no one can fish who live in a tent then he would be discrimating.

It's one of those things about puting rules and regulations down on paper you have to be so precise, otherwise they are open to interpretation.

So my take is that No Tents is just a rule about kit and not the person, and many fisheries have such rules. I think some of the Cemex waters have a rule that you can only use a brolly for night fishing and no bivies or tents.

note taken.. but you have to see it from the poor man/women's eyes, for you, you have a bivvy for me.... my wife is EFFING and blinding when i was looking at one this morning (nash hooligun bivvy) but when i do join my local club i'll buy one... but for none club venue it's extreame some people just like to take familys out and experiance fishing with them(like me) some just want a quick few days away before they are told they wether they keep thier driving license or not(sadly like me) so you can see what i am saying.... unless doing it every week or in a club it is very snobby of anyone and can be taken like i have interpeted as descrimantion... i personally would love a bluddy bivvy yes they do look good the only two i want ons a TFG and the other a nash... just they are 3x the ammount of tent :( minamum............................................

Edited by dean in devon