Would sea anglers benifit from a free licence?

I reckon that the 'Hogster's' string vest is the most powerful political weapon in RSA's defense!

Without it, sea angling could be the subject of a takeover bid made by know-nothing angling 'icons', fuelled by egos, and backed by the trade.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only blame the angling media ?

Care to elaborate on that quote? I'm not quite sure where you're coming from. What has the angling media got to do with tackle manufacturers dipping their hand in their pocket and putting money back into the sport?

Edited by Dave B

Don’t be such a defeatist Dave and never say never, as it may come round to haunt you.

My idea behind the question ‘Would anglers benefit from a free license’ I will admit was a crazy idea to test the water so to speak and see if any one took the bait. But I never explained why I posed the question and strangely no one has asked. You have in fact been the closest to what my thoughts were at the time.

I was thinking that the amount of money we RSAs spend per year has never been recognized and often disputed, because there are no specific figures on which to do the mathematics. Secondly the way the decision about the introduction of a government license stands at present is that the matter has simply been shelved. Now where the industry side of RSA to introduce a license given free with the purchase of say, sponsored goods and that said license was to have printed on it a declaration of the right to fish and carry a rod in line with our constitutional rights which are ‘DESCRIPTION OF THE PUBLIC RIGHT TO FISH. The public right to fish was described by Moore and Moore as follows:- In tidal waters, estuaries and arms of the sea below the high water mark of ordinary tides situate within the limit of the kingdom . . . the public as subjects of the realm, have the right to fish to the exclusion of the subjects of all foreign powers, except in such parts of those tidal waters as have been legally appropriated as private fisheries’.

Then here might be the ultimate two finger salute to any further thought of a an official license further more the data base from the issue of said license might be a god send to those companies taking up the idea with regard targeting there customers and the customers might well get offered better deals.

Now do you still think it’s daft?

I'm not being defeatist Deano, I've worked closely with all the major manufacturers in the UK for over 16 years. In all that time there have only been a select few that have put money back into sea fishing by means of sponsorship of a few competitions.

As far as the amount of money we spend on tackle etc, you're right that the starting point should be the manufacturers themselves - but I wonder just how many would release sales figures relating to how many/ how much sea fishing product they sell every year?

The concept of a free license is an interesting one too, but what's to stop the Government waiting a few years when most sea anglers have bought new kit and got their free license, then bringing in a 'pay for' license? A few words described as the 'Right to fish' don't really mean jack to the Government - otherwise they would never have contemplated bringing in a license in the first place.

I don't think it's a daft idea at all, I just think there would need to be commitment from everyone involved, including the Government!

I'm not being defeatist Deano, I've worked closely with all the major manufacturers in the UK for over 16 years. In all that time there have only been a select few that have put money back into sea fishing by means of sponsorship of a few competitions.

As far as the amount of money we spend on tackle etc, you're right that the starting point should be the manufacturers themselves - but I wonder just how many would release sales figures relating to how many/ how much sea fishing product they sell every year?

The concept of a free license is an interesting one too, but what's to stop the Government waiting a few years when most sea anglers have bought new kit and got their free license, then bringing in a 'pay for' license? A few words described as the 'Right to fish' don't really mean jack to the Government - otherwise they would never have contemplated bringing in a license in the first place.

I don't think it's a daft idea at all, I just think there would need to be commitment from everyone involved, including the Government!

Dave you are quite right there can be no guarantee that a future government might at some point decide to introduce a license as a means of taxation on the sport of RSA. Having failed to convince the house on the last attempt because it would be unlikely to be able to deliver on sufficient improvements to justify the introduction of said license it would require a much better case were the government to try again.

The Right to fish comments that I would recommend being printed on a free license is a part of Common Law in the United Kingdom.

Fishing Rights (can be viewed here) and they read simply as follows,

The Law in England and Wales

There are laws that govern fishing in England and Wales. Like many other activities these laws have been developed over the centuries of Britain’s history. Though following these laws is not too difficult, there are aspects which seem a little confusing at times.

Tidal Waters Fishing Rights

Members of the public have a right to fish in the sea below the mean high water mark of tidal waters. Anyone can fish either from the bank or by boat assuming there is public access.

My message as far as this point goes is it is a way of highlighting the individual right in law that many fail to understand and once informed RSA might well fight hard to protect any future challenge by the government to tax the sport.

As you say the manufacturers in the UK put little back into the sport but have over the past few years started to engage more with sponsoring charter boats. They are not the only source from which sponsorship could be found as retail companies particularly the larger ones are more likely to take up on an idea such as this. Then there is the possibility of a vast insurance market as few anglers have to my knowledge got any insurance cover on there equipment that might be tempted.

You make another good point in that companies would be reluctant to release a sales figure which is precisely why a free license might help, as it could determine just how many RSAs there are and a more accrete figure of the worth to the economy.

One thing is for sure as the country starts to recover from the recession it will be sales and advertising to secure those sales, that will be paramount and you might be the man to pass on this suggestion to those you know in the trade, would ten percent commission be in order?

At the end of the day this was just an idea I have had kicking around in my head and have taken this opportunity to air with you guys.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Dave you are quite right there can be no guarantee that a future government might at some point decide to introduce a license as a means of taxation on the sport of RSA. Having failed to convince the house on the last attempt because it would be unlikely to be able to deliver on sufficient improvements to justify the introduction of said license it would require a much better case were the government to try again.

The Right to fish comments that I would recommend being printed on a free license is a part of Common Law in the United Kingdom.

Fishing Rights (can be viewed here) and they read simply as follows,

The Law in England and Wales

There are laws that govern fishing in England and Wales. Like many other activities these laws have been developed over the centuries of Britain's history. Though following these laws is not too difficult, there are aspects which seem a little confusing at times.

Tidal Waters Fishing Rights

Members of the public have a right to fish in the sea below the mean high water mark of tidal waters. Anyone can fish either from the bank or by boat assuming there is public access.

My message as far as this point goes is it is a way of highlighting the individual right in law that many fail to understand and once informed RSA might well fight hard to protect any future challenge by the government to tax the sport.

As you say the manufacturers in the UK put little back into the sport but have over the past few years started to engage more with sponsoring charter boats. They are not the only source from which sponsorship could be found as retail companies particularly the larger ones are more likely to take up on an idea such as this. Then there is the possibility of a vast insurance market as few anglers have to my knowledge got any insurance cover on there equipment that might be tempted.

You make another good point in that companies would be reluctant to release a sales figure which is precisely why a free license might help, as it could determine just how many RSAs there are and a more accrete figure of the worth to the economy.

One thing is for sure as the country starts to recover from the recession it will be sales and advertising to secure those sales, that will be paramount and you might be the man to pass on this suggestion to those you know in the trade, would ten percent commission be in order?

At the end of the day this was just an idea I have had kicking around in my head and have taken this opportunity to air with you guys.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hello all,

First I am not a sea angler, nor am I ever likely to be...I get seasick on a rowing boat on a dead calm lake...hehehe.

I do not have the knowledge of your area of fishing to be either pro sea fishing license or anti sea fishing license.

I am however against increased and unnecessary legislation.

Due to the increased chat concerning sea fishing licenses I would say that like it or not they are a likely introduction in the not too distance future, as sea licenses are following the standard pattern for government introduction. First divide your target so that they are incapable of resisting any proposed legislation.

Possible solutions:

1; Do noting and just accept it and even with a little bit of shouting from a few and they would be very few judging from past legislation introduction.

2; Form a register of sea anglers so at least you can respond with the strength of many voters.

Most likely results:

1; A few concerned and dedicated sea anglers might give forming a register a go, but they wont get the support from the average sea angler who being an average UK person will sit on their rears until its too late to do anything let alone resist such legislation although many will moan like crazy after such legislation is introduced.

2; The government will do whatever it likes and introduce sea fishing licenses as there is no unified opposition and people will accept it and get used to it although they will moan about it on internet forums and amongst their friends.

3; Some time later the GREEN BRIGADE (conservationists and others) who are generally better organised will advise the government on some important and necessary restrictions.

So sea anglers you have a choice get organised and unified or learn to live with what is just around the corner.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hello all,

First I am not a sea angler, nor am I ever likely to be...I get seasick on a rowing boat on a dead calm lake...hehehe.

I do not have the knowledge of your area of fishing to be either pro sea fishing license or anti sea fishing license.

I am however against increased and unnecessary legislation.

Due to the increased chat concerning sea fishing licenses I would say that like it or not they are a likely introduction in the not too distance future, as sea licenses are following the standard pattern for government introduction. First divide your target so that they are incapable of resisting any proposed legislation.

Possible solutions:

1; Do noting and just accept it and even with a little bit of shouting from a few and they would be very few judging from past legislation introduction.

2; Form a register of sea anglers so at least you can respond with the strength of many voters.

Most likely results:

1; A few concerned and dedicated sea anglers might give forming a register a go, but they wont get the support from the average sea angler who being an average UK person will sit on their rears until its too late to do anything let alone resist such legislation although many will moan like crazy after such legislation is introduced.

2; The government will do whatever it likes and introduce sea fishing licenses as there is no unified opposition and people will accept it and get used to it although they will moan about it on internet forums and amongst their friends.

3; Some time later the GREEN BRIGADE (conservationists and others) who are generally better organised will advise the government on some important and necessary restrictions.

So sea anglers you have a choice get organised and unified or learn to live with what is just around the corner.

The well organised "Green Brigade" only come in at stage 3 then? . Sorry but that looks like an upside down list to me anyway. Try listing it the other way ;):)

1. the GREEN BRIGADE (conservationists and others) who are generally better organised will advise the government on some important and necessary restrictions.

2. The government will do whatever it likes and introduce sea fishing licenses as there is no unified opposition and people will accept it and get used to it although they will moan about it on internet forums and amongst their friends.

3. A few concerned and dedicated sea anglers might give forming a register a go, but they wont get the support from the average sea angler who being an average UK person will sit on their rears until its too late to do anything let alone resist such legislation although many will moan like crazy after such legislation is introduced.

I believe stage one is true. Just remove stage one surely?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net