Would sea anglers benifit from a free licence?

No, sorry, we can't agree that fish stocks are failing. Almost every time that work and weather allow me to fish on the right tides, in the right conditions, (Which, sadly, isn't often enough), that little theory about failing fish stocks is disproved. I'm seeing my fishing actually improve and things are a lot better now than they were 10 years ago, (and a hell of a lot better than they were 20 years ago), at least from where I'm standing. No amount of rhetoric is going to change what I see with my own eyes.

Therefore, why would we want a licence to demonstrate how many anglers there are? The only possible reason would be to help fight off restrictions that may result from the scaremongering that is keeping many a scientist and civil servant in a job - and giving a few tired old RSA mouthpieces something in their lives to replace the fishing they used to do.

Well Steve you amaze me I assume you go wrecking, wrecking and wrecking on these trips that you manage to get on or may be on a fine day grab some of the greedy Cod on the brittle star grounds or some Black Bream which have been here in numbers these past few years. Or more likely you fish an area that the commercials have been either restricted from or have simply given up on and are reaping the benefit of there absence. I wouldn’t give your marks away though because if the commercials are any thing like the ones around here and they get wind of your claim they will move in for sure. So, how often have you had a Herring or a Spur Dog? How about Halibut once quite common along the English Channel and then there is the size of what’s left, Pollack over 22lbs not many, Ling over 30lbs not many, or a Cod over 30lb there as rare as you like. Come on and stop dreaming man, I have only mentioned a few species here in which the decline in stock is blatantly obvious to what it was in the late sixties early seventies. Doses that make me one of those tired old mouth pieces, old I might be but fish regularly I most certainly do and I can tell you in no uncertainty that we saw the humble mackerel decimated in the seventies and there still nothing like they were and now that omega oil is in fashion there going to take another hit from Spanish and French trawlers as well as our own when they shoal up off of Southern Ireland to mate as they do year on year. The Bass, have you seen any specimens over 100% recently have you? I don’t think so again this often mistaken species is an off shore dweller and while the numpties go on about minimum sizes they are missing where the damage is in fact being done, breeding size fish trawled up by the million by them bloody Spanish trawlers and if you don’t believe me go check the UK and EU markets where there landed.

The reason I asked about licenses is simply a way to prove that there are a huge amount of RSAs and with those numbers a way of justifying the figures used to show how much the economy gets from a stake holder that is never going to be an unsustainable element of the fish stock.

Just for the record the chap who suggested I was beating AT drum let me tell you if left to them we are doomed it will take years to achieve any thing they have on the table at present and that is far less than what is required.

Soap box any one?

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We fought tooth and nail against the untrodution of sea anging licence next thing you will be getting cash back if you take a licence the majority of sea anglers in this country and i would say over 90% DO NOT WANT A LICENCE talking about 200mile limits for heavy commercial fishing you cant even get 3 mile limit all the so called restrictions on over fishing a pair team 2 trawlers towing one net with combined power of over 900 horse power can trawl right upto the beach thats conservation for you you dont need licence to work out whats gone with fish stocks mr cameron has signalled to fishermen (vote grovelling) that he is going to sort out the problems about fishemen and there quots so whats he going to do give them a free for all no he aint going to do anything it was the conservatives what took us down this line in the first place me ted heath himself there is only one way to dramictly improve fish stocks around our shores and its nothing what so ever to do with haveing a sea angling licence.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

We fought tooth and nail against the untrodution of sea anging licence next thing you will be getting cash back if you take a licence the majority of sea anglers in this country and i would say over 90% DO NOT WANT A LICENCE talking about 200mile limits for heavy commercial fishing you cant even get 3 mile limit all the so called restrictions on over fishing a pair team 2 trawlers towing one net with combined power of over 900 horse power can trawl right upto the beach thats conservation for you you dont need licence to work out whats gone with fish stocks mr cameron has signalled to fishermen (vote grovelling) that he is going to sort out the problems about fishemen and there quots so whats he going to do give them a free for all no he aint going to do anything it was the conservatives what took us down this line in the first place me ted heath himself there is only one way to dramictly improve fish stocks around our shores and its nothing what so ever to do with haveing a sea angling licence.

paul.

Can I just clear up one point here Big Cod yes Ted Heath did hold a referendum in which the UK electorate voted to join the COMMON MARKET or to give it the correct name European Economic Community This was a trading group free of import taxes which were used to help protect the UK manufactures from cheep imports. The goal posts were not moved until much later when the UK quietly signed up to the Maastricht Treaty on 1st November 1993 with no referendum.

I don’t know where the pair trawlers to which you refer are or have been working but such incidents should be reported to your local sea fishery district so the CFO can do what he’s paid for and prosecute the offenders. Even so you make the point that fishing methods are greater than in the past and the only thing to suffer is the fish stock. The fact that they are so close to shore would suggest that my claim of dwindling stocks is in fact true.

it was the conservatives what took us down this line in the first place me ted heath himself there is only one way to dramictly improve fish stocks around our shores and its nothing what so ever to do with haveing a sea angling licence.

paul.

I thought ted heath took us into somewhere called the common market. Even then the vote was so very close. Since then all of the governments have been getting us deeper and deeper linked with an e u constitution and in addition have keeped the public away from a vote for the same. None more so than within the last thirteen years, it was the labour government who were denying the taxpayers a referendum,as promised in their previous pre election spiel. There is no mandate.

Anyone within the labour party membership care to tell us? What about our 7 bill per year rebate, what has it been wasted on, go on i dare ya.

It was maggie thatcher, bless her :D who went in an won the rebate for the inbalance regarding the cap, now we don't really hear our farmers bleating at all, only about the badgers.

So what about the inbalance with the cfp, in particular the french have 70-80% of the cod in the channel. Don't anyone think that we could do with a thatcher mark 2, to go in with a pair of balls and shake em around abit? :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Well Steve you amaze me I assume you go wrecking, wrecking and wrecking on these trips that you manage to get on or may be on a fine day grab some of the greedy Cod on the brittle star grounds or some Black Bream which have been here in numbers these past few years. Or more likely you fish an area that the commercials have been either restricted from or have simply given up on and are reaping the benefit of there absence. I wouldn’t give your marks away though because if the commercials are any thing like the ones around here and they get wind of your claim they will move in for sure. So, how often have you had a Herring or a Spur Dog? How about Halibut once quite common along the English Channel and then there is the size of what’s left, Pollack over 22lbs not many, Ling over 30lbs not many, or a Cod over 30lb there as rare as you like. Come on and stop dreaming man, I have only mentioned a few species here in which the decline in stock is blatantly obvious to what it was in the late sixties early seventies. Doses that make me one of those tired old mouth pieces, old I might be but fish regularly I most certainly do and I can tell you in no uncertainty that we saw the humble mackerel decimated in the seventies and there still nothing like they were and now that omega oil is in fashion there going to take another hit from Spanish and French trawlers as well as our own when they shoal up off of Southern Ireland to mate as they do year on year. The Bass, have you seen any specimens over 100% recently have you? I don’t think so again this often mistaken species is an off shore dweller and while the numpties go on about minimum sizes they are missing where the damage is in fact being done, breeding size fish trawled up by the million by them bloody Spanish trawlers and if you don’t believe me go check the UK and EU markets where there landed.

The reason I asked about licenses is simply a way to prove that there are a huge amount of RSAs and with those numbers a way of justifying the figures used to show how much the economy gets from a stake holder that is never going to be an unsustainable element of the fish stock.

Just for the record the chap who suggested I was beating AT drum let me tell you if left to them we are doomed it will take years to achieve any thing they have on the table at present and that is far less than what is required.

Soap box any one?

Well, Deano, let me tell you that all your assumptions are wrong. I've never fished a wreck in my life. And the area where I fish was subject to a commercial free for all for the best part of the last two years. A CEFAS study allowed most boats to land all they could catch, with no restrictions. So much for the theory that commercial fishing has done for my fishing, then! It just keeps getting better. Most inconvenient for the busy bodies who thrive on doom and gloom, but good for me and the rest of my angling buddies.

You seem to be another one who likes to refer to things that happened in the 70's and 80's. What about now? I've just had a quick peek at your website gallery. Are all those fish I saw figments of my imagination, or did someone really catch them?

You talk of bass, I don't go for specimen awards so I don't have a clue how big a 100% specimen bass is. I saw a few nudging double figures last summer and friends of mine saw a few more, plus some over double figures. There seems to be plenty of medium size bass around this year, already, but I don't know what percentage of a specimen they might be. Do they really mate off southern Ireland every year? And what difference to the French and Spanish would your free licence make?

I'd like to continue this debate, but your mate Barry tells me you are a bit of a wind up merchant, so I'll leave you to go and play with someone else. :D Tight lines.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I'd like to continue this debate, but your mate Barry tells me you are a bit of a wind up merchant, so I'll leave you to go and play with someone else. :D Tight lines.

Did i.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Can I just clear up one point here Big Cod yes Ted Heath did hold a referendum in which the UK electorate voted to join the COMMON MARKET or to give it the correct name European Economic Community This was a trading group free of import taxes which were used to help protect the UK manufactures from cheep imports. The goal posts were not moved until much later when the UK quietly signed up to the Maastricht Treaty on 1st November 1993 with no referendum.

I don’t know where the pair trawlers to which you refer are or have been working but such incidents should be reported to your local sea fishery district so the CFO can do what he’s paid for and prosecute the offenders. Even so you make the point that fishing methods are greater than in the past and the only thing to suffer is the fish stock. The fact that they are so close to shore would suggest that my claim of dwindling stocks is in fact true.

Deeno myfriend i think you are just a little bit nieve as to just what goes on around our beloved shores it is not elagal in any way to trawl right up to the beach unless there is a local bylaw in place saying you cant if yo are under 60ft in lenth (59...SO FEET ) you can trawl right to where you are casting your line from the shore you couldnt prosecute somebody for doing something that is lawfull sorry mate i dont think you have done your homework.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Deeno myfriend i think you are just a little bit nieve as to just what goes on around our beloved shores it is not elagal in any way to trawl right up to the beach unless there is a local bylaw in place saying you cant if yo are under 60ft in lenth (59...SO FEET ) you can trawl right to where you are casting your line from the shore you couldnt prosecute somebody for doing something that is lawfull sorry mate i dont think you have done your homework.

paul.

Well Mr. Big Cod where I originally come from (SSFD) the local SFC have stated what size power can be used to tow gear and there is a twelve meter rule to boot. If that’s not the case in your neck of the woods then ask you SFC to conceder one, if it’s an existing rule that is being abused because its two boats then get an amendment to the bylaw put in place. Every request must be considered so draft a good case and your sorted. One tip get the politicians on side first and do it privately other wise it will be the same old chestnut from the commercials. You never know it might be even easier once the new set up is introduced. :D

paul.

Where exactly is it possible to trawl with in casting distance any where on your coast Paul?

The closest I can recall is about one mile, a little closer perhaps a bit south of Whitby but not much.

Then there is the Waddy a large area from Whitby stretching several miles to the north that is closed to all trawlers out to three miles.

I suspect the pair trawlers keep to the finer ground so that excludes them from a lot of the ground with in three miles of the coast, I doubt they wander off more than a couple of lines closer inshore in fear of damaging a very expensive net.

You don't get many marks for your home work either.

I fish to live and live to fish.