"Profound Decline in UK Fish Stocks"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_env...nt/10096649.stm

It should be obvious to anybody that if those guys hanging a net off the side of a sailboat could catch the fish in that photo, then there were more (and considerably bigger) fish in the sea before the trawlers started to plough the sea bed into a desert.

Landings into UK ports in the 19th Century were four times higher than today

That's because we had a fishing fleet in the 19th century, any way most of it came from Iceland or North Norway.

Still does but in containers and boil in a bag portions.

Never come across a sea bed desert Colin perhaps you could be more pacific.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Landings into UK ports in the 19th Century were four times higher than today

That's because we had a fishing fleet in the 19th century, any way most of it came from Iceland or North Norway.

Still does but in containers and boil in a bag portions.

Never come across a sea bed desert Colin perhaps you could be more pacific.

Some valid points there Wurzel

CLIVE

The article does not provide the poor reader with access to the actual "science", but if its really all just based on comparing current landings at ports with historical ones then it sounds very iffy; that could mean absolutely nothing but spin. Can us plebs get a link to the original paper? or is it there and im just blind?

Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the science, it was this that should get our alarm bells ringing:

said Simon Brockington, head of conservation at the Marine Conservation Society and one of the study's authors. "It is vital that governments recognise the changes that have taken place (and) set stock protection and recovery targets that are reflective of the historical productivity of the sea."

Im still struggling to understand what "sustainable" means, but it seems the MCS now seem to want historical targets for that sustainability? Fantastic news for anyone that makes a living at sea today.. ? aye right.

Wonder if they would support a campaign for the same sewer system we had in place in their perfect moment .

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I see that 'Harry Potter's' paw prints are all over it.....as per usual!

His ilk pose more of a threat to angling than overfishing ever did.

Couldn't agree more, and as soon as you see his name on any report you stop reading - unless you feel suicidal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_env...nt/10096649.stm

It should be obvious to anybody that if those guys hanging a net off the side of a sailboat could catch the fish in that photo, then there were more (and considerably bigger) fish in the sea before the trawlers started to plough the sea bed into a desert.

Believe it or not there are some on here that would dispute there is a decline in fish stocks and that to suggest there is makes you a doom and gloom merchant. I don’t know which is the sadder? <_<

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Believe it or not there are some on here that would dispute there is a decline in fish stocks and that to suggest there is makes you a doom and gloom merchant. I don't know which is the sadder? <_<

Believe it or not Deene "O", i doubt any poster on this forum believes there has been no decline in fish stocks, but that is a long way from assuming a tonne of legislation generated by interested parties shouting "DeanO" in sync will improve anything.

I take it for granted that someone from the angling royalty that is the AT actually read the original paper? No doubt a stupid assumption..

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I assume John Buchan, star of TV's Trawlermen, who say he's "never seen so many fish in the sea" will be happy to dump all his electronic equipment? His grandfather managed to survive without it. Hell, if there are so many fish out there, let's see him catch something from a 30 foot open sailboat like his great great grandfather could.

PS. Who mentioned the AT?