"Profound Decline in UK Fish Stocks"

I assume John Buchan, star of TV's Trawlermen, who say he's "never seen so many fish in the sea" will be happy to dump all his electronic equipment? His grandfather managed to survive without it. Hell, if there are so many fish out there, let's see him catch something from a 30 foot open sailboat like his great great grandfather could.

PS. Who mentioned the AT?

I don't see why he wouldn't catch any thing and depending on what method he used could do a lot better than you may think.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why he wouldn't catch any thing and depending on what method he used could do a lot better than you may think.

I think he'd catch very little fishing in his great great grandad's 30 foot open sailboat. Unless he's got cojones the size of grapefruits he certainly wouldn't be fishing out past Shetland and over near Norway like I saw him fishing on an episode of the TV programme. Yet before 1880 (which I understand is when they started putting closed decks on the boats) fishermen caught plenty within 3 miles of the shore.

If he could catch fish three miles out in a boat that cost £10,000, why does he fish two hundred miles out in a boat that costs more than a £1,000,000?

I suspect the answer is that a million pound boat can make him a rich man, a ten thousand pound boat can only make him a living.

I think he'd catch very little fishing in his great great grandad's 30 foot open sailboat. Unless he's got cojones the size of grapefruits he certainly wouldn't be fishing out past Shetland and over near Norway like I saw him fishing on an episode of the TV programme. Yet before 1880 (which I understand is when they started putting closed decks on the boats) fishermen caught plenty within 3 miles of the shore.

If he could catch fish three miles out in a boat that cost £10,000, why does he fish two hundred miles out in a boat that costs more than a £1,000,000?

I suspect the answer is that a million pound boat can make him a rich man, a ten thousand pound boat can only make him a living.

According to Paul (Big Cod) the trawlers catch plenty within 3 miles of the shore, I seem to remember claims of 100 box hauls were common last autumn.

Sailing boats were fishing out past Shetland as far as Iceland and the North coast of Norway as early as the 1500's .

Nothing wrong in wanting to be a rich man, though I recon there are times when he would love to swap his bank loan for yours..

I fish to live and live to fish.

I assume John Buchan, star of TV's Trawlermen, who say he's "never seen so many fish in the sea" will be happy to dump all his electronic equipment? His grandfather managed to survive without it. Hell, if there are so many fish out there, let's see him catch something from a 30 foot open sailboat like his great great grandfather could.

PS. Who mentioned the AT?

Just forget John Buchan , "Trawlermen" , etc and have a think about just how laughable it is for anyone to try and mine UK landing statistics for conclusions given the period included two world wars, the fall of the British Empire and as a sideline the cod wars..

No idea what your family history looks like but I doubt I have the bottle/hardness/iron to do what my ancestors did on hill farms in north Wales. How come the fishers get all this examination when they have yet to wipe anything out?

Please provide details of your great great Grandfather's occupation so we can all "judge" it? ;)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Philip MacMullen, head of environmental responsibility at Seafish, said: “We welcome any attempt to create a historical perspective on the UK fishing industry but we're confused as to why so much effort has been put into producing remarkably little.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...=#ixzz0nHyMjt8z

Celeb Callum Roberts stuff is just fluff and we are all getting used to fluff as a currency because we are told its worth day in day out. Its still fluff though.

Hes the current celeb chef of the media marine world. Gawd help him if they do they do their usual goodguy/badguy run to sell their papers.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Incredible paragraph, this:

Scientists argue that apparent growth in stocks in some areas masks the bigger picture. "We're not saying the sea is empty of fish," says Simon Brockington, the head of conservation at the Marine Conservation Society and co-author of the University of York study. "But our paper shows there are nothing like as many as there should be."

Taken from this article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...me-1968226.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Landings into UK ports in the 19th Century were four times higher than today

That's because we had a fishing fleet in the 19th century, any way most of it came from Iceland or North Norway.

Still does but in containers and boil in a bag portions.

Never come across a sea bed desert Colin perhaps you could be more pacific.

Wurzel,

Fish landings, excluding shell fish for 1898 was a bit over 8 million CWT. I suspect that this is not far from today and certainly not four times. Incidentally the "industry" employed a shade under 80,000 men and boys to catch them, which is a shadow of the number employed today for what is in effect, the same amount of fish.

Ryford

Edited by Ryford