Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Sorry, one final thing - if you're fishing near to bars or gravel humps and the fish take you round them during the fight, check the line over for damage afterwards and discard any roughed-up line. In a lot of swims this won't happen, but in others it will.

(You'll then have to move your pole elastic marker on the line the same distance back as the discarded line, so you can still clip up to the right spot. A right pain in the bum, but it has to be done or you might leave fish towing tackle.)

This is a good reason not to cast over/fish over the top of the shallower bars - some of the gravel/flint is very sharp and can easily cut you off.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This talk of nuisance tench is beginning to worry me :(

How can I avoid them and target the stripey fish that I was intending to concentrate on?

Those quality Tench can play havoc with a well thought out Perching Plan :rolleyes::D

I was thinking that maybe I could feed the Tench off, mix 20 kilo's of chopped worm and 20 pints of Red Maggot with a gallon of Van Den Eynde predator plus and maybe a few handfuls of castors and prawns for variety. This may just feed off the Tench and attract a few quality Perch. I'm convinced there is a monster one out there somewhere.

This could all backfire and it might just attract every Jack and Eel for miles around :o But I would like to catch a big eel

Maybe a few big lobs poppeed around the swim might be the better option and a hell of a lot cheaper :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

To illustrate how important location is, I had a great majority of the tench on one rod. The second rod caught several but not as many. The third rod, despite being in what looked to be a perfect spot, only produced 2 of the fish. I then moved it halfway through the session to a new spot that also looked really good, and again only had 2 fish from it. So if I'd have been fishing those 2 spots, I'd have caught 4 tench.

This is one of the most important posts ever made about Wingham!

It just goes to show how casting to the right spot is so vital.

It also confirms my earlier advice about not putting a lot of feed out until you know you're in the right spot.

And if you aren't catching it's definitely worth trying a different spot.

Don't be alarmed though, the bailiffs and I, not to mention other syndicate members will be on hand to help. But don't ignore your watercraft or gut feelings. You might teach us a thing or two!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Ant, I'll come round to your swim first thing on Saturday if you like and we can see what's what? What time are you getting there?

It always takes me quite a long time to choose where to put bait, even in swims I know. The Google Earth images really help as you can see where the biggest features are, and line them up with the far bank. Fishing it blind would be so much harder!

I think it's important to choose 3 (if you're fishing 3 rods - 2 if not) spots of different depth. For tench, about 6ft is usually the magic number, shallower if it's warm. So I would look to find a spot at 5ft, one at 6ft and the third at 7ft. Ideally these would be up against bars, humps or the margin, or weed (if there is any). As long as the bottom isn't deep, smelly silt I'm pretty happy, so I'd look for fine gravel or hard 'sweet' silt. This is the time of year the bloodworm beds start to really bloom, and if you find one of those (your lead often comes back with them, or nice smelling pale silt, on it, especially knobbly marker leads) and fish over it, I'm sure you'll pick up tench. On my recent session, there was a large bloodworm bed about 30 yards out and it may have been the first one to appear this year, hence all the tench coming in. With this warm weather we're having now, I expect there will be lots of them by the weekend!

For the bream I'm much less certain! But water about 8ft seems to produce the bream, and I think the baiting is different (more of it and spread over a wider area).

Also, think of it as trying to pick the odd fish off as they move through your swim - look at the map and imagine which routes they'd take through the features. Find suitable spots (depth and bottom make-up) in those places, put a little bait out and fish on them accurately and I'm sure you'll do well :)

In some swims the margins can be very good, but the water is very clear at the moment, so staying quiet will be essential. Also, the bottom of the shelf (in some swims, at least) may have a lot of old black, rotting leaf debris and may be too deep for tench, so fishing up the shelf may be better.

The good thing with fishing 3 spots is that there are aways one or two that look brilliant, but just don't produce anything. I can never explain it, but it happens a lot!

A last thing on baiting, things tend to go quiet in early afternoon, so that's a good time to get any top-up baiting done well before dusk. There's a definite feeding spell as the light goes, and chucking spods or balls of groundbait around then probably won't do you (or your neighbour!) much good!

One last general point, the guy who had the bream the other night woke one morning to find a shoal of roach had whittled his hookbaits off during the night and left him fishing with bare hooks - so during darkness it's probably best to either fish a running rig so you know that's happening, or fish harder baits.

Sorry, one final thing - if you're fishing near to bars or gravel humps and the fish take you round them during the fight, check the line over for damage afterwards and discard any roughed-up line. In a lot of swims this won't happen, but in others it will.

(You'll then have to move your pole elastic marker on the line the same distance back as the discarded line, so you can still clip up to the right spot. A right pain in the bum, but it has to be done or you might leave fish towing tackle.)

This is a good reason not to cast over/fish over the top of the shallower bars - some of the gravel/flint is very sharp and can easily cut you off.

Hi Andrew,

That is a very kind offer and I would be very greatful of your help. I will be down as soon as the gates open at around 7am provided we have no problems on the way down. We have about a 4 hour journey from the midlands so will give you a text if it looks like we will be late.

Thanks for the advice regarding location. I'm ok with a marker rod and can confortably map out a swim but knowing were to drop a bait once I've done this is where I lack confidence. I'll be fishing 3 rods so hopefully I'll be able to cover any likely looking spots and will be fishing both fake and real corn for the bream at night so I'll be confident that I have a baited rig in the area.

I'm so excited now and am in the process of getting all my reels loaded with fresh line. I've also bought myself a spod set up so I can be accurate with my feeding and I've got my bait ready which I have alot of confidence in after catching a lovely bag of bream and tench on the weekend B)

Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to meeting you on Saturday morning.

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Andrew,

That is a very kind offer and I would be very greatful of your help. I will be down as soon as the gates open at around 7am provided we have no problems on the way down. We have about a 4 hour journey from the midlands so will give you a text if it looks like we will be late.

Thanks for the advice regarding location. I'm ok with a marker rod and can confortably map out a swim but knowing were to drop a bait once I've done this is where I lack confidence. I'll be fishing 3 rods so hopefully I'll be able to cover any likely looking spots and will be fishing both fake and real corn for the bream at night so I'll be confident that I have a baited rig in the area.

I'm so excited now and am in the process of getting all my reels loaded with fresh line. I've also bought myself a spod set up so I can be accurate with my feeding and I've got my bait ready which I have alot of confidence in after catching a lovely bag of bream and tench on the weekend B)

Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to meeting you on Saturday morning.

Thanks

Ant

No problem Ant, just let me know when you're at your swim (unless I see you in the clubhouse beforehand) and I'll pop over. These last couple of days are going to drag now!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All this talk of tackle, tactics and baiting, and no-one's mentioned the amazing wildlife yet :)

It's such a special place, the atmosphere is a mixture of utter peace and crackling electric. The last time I was there I saw a great spotted woodpecker, a green woodpecker, a nuthatch (first one I've ever seen), heard a few cuckoos, heard a cettis warbler, saw a thousand rabbits, almost saw a couple of grass snakes (they fizzed off into the undergrowth too quickly), I had a friendly mole in my swim who kept poking its nose out of the ground, quickly followed by earthworms fleeing for their lives across the grass, great tits, a hobby hunting over the lake, I heard what I think was a bittern (a kind of forhorn noise at night) and many nightingales. The birdsong is loud and constant, even at night, and the dawns and sunsets make your hair stand on end and fill you with calm at the same time :)

All this talk of tackle, tactics and baiting, and no-one's mentioned the amazing wildlife yet :)

I heard what I think was a bittern (a kind of forhorn noise at night) and many nightingales. The birdsong is loud and constant, even at night, and the dawns and sunsets make your hair stand on end and fill you with calm at the same time :)

The Nightingale and the Rose by Oscar Wilde

And when the Moon shone in the heavens the Nightingale flew to the Rose-tree, and set her breast against the thorn. All night long she sang with her breast against the thorn, and the cold crystal Moon leaned down and listened. All night long she sang, and the thorn went deeper and deeper into her breast, and her life-blood ebbed away from her.

She sang first of the birth of love in the heart of a boy and a girl. And on the topmost spray of the Rose-tree there blossomed a marvellous rose, petal following petal, as song followed song. Yale was it, at first, as the mist that hangs over the river – pale as the feet of the morning, and silver as the wings of the dawn. As the shadow of a rose in a mirror of silver, as the shadow of a rose in a water-pool, so was the rose that blossomed on the topmost spray of the Tree.

But the Tree cried to the Nightingale to press closer against the thorn. “Press closer, little Nightingale,” cried the Tree, “or the Day will come before the rose is finished.”

So the Nightingale pressed closer against the thorn, and louder and louder grew her song, for she sang of the birth of passion in the soul of a man and a maid.

And a delicate flush of pink came into the leaves of the rose, like the flush in the face of the bridegroom when he kisses the lips of the bride. But the thorn had not yet reached her heart, so the rose's heart remained white, for only a Nightingale's heart's-blood can crimson the heart of a rose.

And the Tree cried to the Nightingale to press closer against the thorn. “Press closer, little Nightingale,” cried the Tree, “or the Day will come before the rose is finished.”

So the Nightingale pressed closer against the thorn, and the thorn touched her heart, and a fierce pang of pain shot through her. Bitter, bitter was the pain, and wilder and wilder grew her song, for she sang of the Love that is perfected by Death, of the Love that dies not in the tomb.

And the marvellous rose became crimson, like the rose of the eastern sky. Crimson was the girdle of petals, and crimson as a ruby was the heart.

But the Nightingale's voice grew fainter, and her little wings began to beat, and a film came over her eyes. Fainter and fainter grew her song, and she felt something choking her in her throat.

Then she gave one last burst of music. The white Moon heard it, and she forgot the dawn, and lingered on in the sky. The red rose heard it, and it trembled all over with ecstasy, and opened its petals to the cold morning air. Echo bore it to her purple cavern in the hills, and woke the sleeping shepherds from their dreams. It floated through the reeds of the river, and they carried its message to the sea.

“Look, look!” cried the Tree, “the rose is finished now;” but the Nightingale made no answer, for she was lying dead in the long grass, with the thorn in her heart.

Their song is a thing of splendor and wonder, but by night two of sleep deprivation the wonder and beauty of it all starts to wear a little thin :shutup::wacko:

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It's such a special place, the atmosphere is a mixture of utter peace and crackling electric. The last time I was there I saw a great spotted woodpecker, a green woodpecker, a nuthatch (first one I've ever seen), heard a few cuckoos, heard a cettis warbler, saw a thousand rabbits, almost saw a couple of grass snakes (they fizzed off into the undergrowth too quickly), I had a friendly mole in my swim who kept poking its nose out of the ground, quickly followed by earthworms fleeing for their lives across the grass, great tits, a hobby hunting over the lake, I heard what I think was a bittern (a kind of forhorn noise at night) and many nightingales. The birdsong is loud and constant, even at night, and the dawns and sunsets make your hair stand on end and fill you with calm at the same time :)

Anderoo

There are Bitterns at nearby Stodmarsh and there has been a Purple Heron reported in the area, I am bringing binoculars, scope and a night vision scope as well as the fishing kit.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Any one planing to target the Perch?

Or is everyone dreaming of 8 lb + Tench and double figure Bream :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007