Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Silver and blue is fine. However if you want to borrow a bivvy I'm sure someone can help. I'll shortly be starting a new topic regarding wanted gear.

thanks Steve. I'll use the tent to avoid borrowing a bivvy which someone else might need.

Thanks again.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different baits, but a lot have come on maggots I believe.

do you know if it was a maggot feeder or if he was fishing method with maggot hook bait? all information will help ;)

Maggot feeder.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've just had a very silly session at Wingham. I am very tired so won't bore you with a long post, but over about 75 hours (3 nights) I landed 66 tench - more tench than I sometimes get in a whole season. They are waking up and getting hungry!

Here's one to whet your appetites:

DSCF1576.jpg

The biggest was 'only' 8lb 12oz - I say 'only' because although that is a big tench, they are well behind in weight because of the very cold winter and spring. Some of the fish were enormous. When Steve was visiting, we measured a tench that weighed 7lb 10oz and it was 24" long - to put that into perspective, Steve's double last year was 22" long :o If I'd had this catch in about 3-4 weeks' time, I reckon I'd have had 2 doubles and about 6 nines!

The water is crystal clear, and they are fighting SO hard, you won't believe it.

I also had a few other 'firsts' (this was of course my biggest bag of tench ever by quite a margin!) - 2 pike, 1 eel and a 2lb 12oz perch all caught fair and square on fake maggots and bolt rig :rolleyes:

Best news though, is that despite so many being in the swim I was in, they are also being caught all over the lake, so with luck everyone will have a good chance of a few fish :)

As Steve said, a 4lb perch was also caught, and last night at 1am another member struck bronze in the shape of an elusive Wingham bream, all 14lb 6oz of it!

LOTS to look forward to! Including dawns like this:

DSCF1579.jpg

Not long now, but the thing I'm looking forward to right now is sleeeeeeep!

PS as I was there for a while I saw again just how much work both Steve and the baliffs put into getting everything ready for the fish-in. A lot of it is real back-breaking stuff and the amount of effort they put in on our behalf is quite amazing. So don't forget to put something in the baliffs' tip box in the clubhouse :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Anderoo,

WOW, Great session

May I just ask what sort of quantity of maggots you got through per day (and for how many rods that was), also did you put a fair amount of maggots out at the start (or any other bait) or did you build up the swim gradually via the feeder only?

See you next week.

Colin

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

Many congratulations again Andrew!

That's probably over 400lbs of tench in just over 3 days!!!

The Carp Lake continues to fish its head off too. One short session produced a brace of mirrors of 39 & 37bs. This is on top of the 41 & 42 pounders in the last few days.

As Andrew said the Coarse Lake also produced a 14-06 bream last night.

Plus someone who posts here owes us the story of Wingham's first 4lb perch...............

What a few days! I just hope it continues for next weekend's Fish-In.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've just had a very silly session at Wingham. I am very tired so won't bore you with a long post, but over about 75 hours (3 nights) I landed 66 tench - more tench than I sometimes get in a whole season. They are waking up and getting hungry!

Best news though, is that despite so many being in the swim I was in, they are also being caught all over the lake, so with luck everyone will have a good chance of a few fish :)

As Steve said, a 4lb perch was also caught, and last night at 1am another member struck bronze in the shape of an elusive Wingham bream, all 14lb 6oz of it!

Not long now, but the thing I'm looking forward to right now is sleeeeeeep!

PS as I was there for a while I saw again just how much work both Steve and the baliffs put into getting everything ready for the fish-in. A lot of it is real back-breaking stuff and the amount of effort they put in on our behalf is quite amazing. So don't forget to put something in the baliffs' tip box in the clubhouse :)

That's a great haul of Fish Andrew and an amazing achievement. That's one session you will not forget in a hurry and no doubt every one will hoping that Steve puts them in the peg that you fired up :D

As Andrew mentioned fish do seem to be coming out from all over the lake. I was in a different part of the lake to Andrew and got a more modest amount of Tench, 5 in all with the best at 8-04 all on mini boilies. The maggots did not work for me this time, but I do think it is a very good method.

What was pleasing for me was the 1 Perch I caught at 4 lb, I weighed it on 2 sets of scales as I was shocked when it first landed on the 4, but it was a very thick fish. At the time I did not know that a 4 pounder had not been reported before. Not surprising that a lob was the bait, so make sure you have plenty with you as I doubt this was a freak capture and am sure there are more to be had if people targeted them. Good Perching everyone.

One other thing as Andrew said, the amount of work the staff do is amazing, not just while you are there at the weekend, but getting the site ready long before we all arrive, so do remember them and leave a tip.

Good luck everyone and go get them 4 pound stripeys, they are there.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi Anderoo,

WOW, Great session

May I just ask what sort of quantity of maggots you got through per day (and for how many rods that was), also did you put a fair amount of maggots out at the start (or any other bait) or did you build up the swim gradually via the feeder only?

See you next week.

Colin

Cheers! Daft isn't it.

Over the whole session I used 3 pints of maggots plus two small bags of brown crumb, 3 little tins of corn, some micro pellet (about a kilo I think) and about 2 or 3 pints of hemp. That's over 3 separate spots. Everything except the maggots was mixed up and put out as groundbait, not all at once but some to start and then topped up again each day. Maggots were just in the feeders.

That's not to say that's the 'best' method though, as several people have said, all baits and methods work and a lot of very good anglers fish there with very different techniques. I'd stick to what you're comfortable with.

To illustrate how important location is, I had a great majority of the tench on one rod. The second rod caught several but not as many. The third rod, despite being in what looked to be a perfect spot, only produced 2 of the fish. I then moved it halfway through the session to a new spot that also looked really good, and again only had 2 fish from it. So if I'd have been fishing those 2 spots, I'd have caught 4 tench.

PS well done again Dales - Wingham's first 4lb perch, fantastic! Very good opportunistic angling!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

To illustrate how important location is, I had a great majority of the tench on one rod. The second rod caught several but not as many. The third rod, despite being in what looked to be a perfect spot, only produced 2 of the fish. I then moved it halfway through the session to a new spot that also looked really good, and again only had 2 fish from it. So if I'd have been fishing those 2 spots, I'd have caught 4 tench.

Nice one Andrew.Its amazing how many times this happens isnt it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Plus someone who posts here owes us the story of Wingham's first 4lb perch...............

PS well done again Dales - Wingham's first 4lb perch, fantastic! Very good opportunistic angling!

Well I am so happy about the Perch and the opportunistic nature of the catch but a little embarrassed about the stand up Marlin tackle used to catch it :D

So maybe I should start with a quick run down of the tackle I was using. I had two 1.75 TC rods going straight out in front of my swim in to open water. To the left of me I had baited an area up a few yards out from a tree that was leaning in to the water. To ensure that I could turn any fish that may want to bolt in to the snags I had a 2.75TC rod with 15lb line on this spot.

I also had a forth feeder rod that I was popping all over the place in the hope of picking up a Perch or two. So all my rods were in the correct positions for the way I wanted to fish and I was sitting down tying some eel rigs based on advice from other AN members with 35lb quicksilver and had made 2 rigs when another Wingham member came along for a chat and we noticed fry being chased about along the bank I had the Carp rod pointed at, So in came the Carp rod and I chucked out the feeder rod to the spot the fry were jumping in, every time I chucked out the feeder rod the fry had moved and I kept missing them. I just could not keep up with the movement, loading the maggot feeder. So in the end I thought sod it and left the feeder rod in the water and switched the bait runner on.

I grabbed the carp rod, unclipped the boilie rig, spoted the quicksilver 35 lb braid rigs on the bivy table, it took about 20 seconds from grabing the rod to threading a lob on the eel rig and a gentle lob sent the bait to an area I thought the fry were heading in. The fry passed over the area my bait landed on as I put it on the rod rest and engaged the bait runner. The reel screamed in to action and paid out a few yards of line until I switched the runner off and the line went slack. I started cranking like crazy but could feel nothing, but I kept the rod high and reeled in until I could feel that tell tale tap tap of a Perch. I wish I could say it fought like hell, but I had out gunned this fine fish.

So if you have never had a 4 pounder, bin the pole, cup, match hooks and get yourself a stand up fighting belt, spod rod and 35 lb leader it really is the way to go :D

I have had other Perch at Wingham and they have thought all the way to the net, so I would advise you all to have ago. Those who have had Wingham Perch before know what I mean and they will be the ones with the boxes of lobs.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Just wondering, as I've never used one before,

If I use a marker rod, do I need a licence to cover it? or only for the rods that actually have hooks on :)

Just wondering as I've met a few EA baliffs that have weird ideas about the rules before, including one that said I needed two licences because I was fishing two rods and had a floater rod made up ready to use and leaning against my bivvy Quote "How do I know you aren't going to cast it out as soon as I leave?"

And do you guys leave the marker rod/float in place for the whole session once you've found the spot you want to fish, or remove it once the bait and rigs are in the right place?

Mat

Mat