countryside alliance a good idea?

Guest euan pink

Guest euan pink

saw today in the angling times i think it was the anglers alliance? has signed an agreement with the countryside alliance.

a joint venture to defend all our interests from the antis.

i didnt get to read it properly as the chap i work with wouldnt shutup!but i did see des taylor was in agreement.

do you think its a good idea? i still have not decided between the advantage of the extra "clout"of the legal boys and the possible negative image to the public.

if they had the foresight to include in the deal that the shotgun boys pay a visit to the cormorants then its a result!! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alan Roe

Just Hold on a minute while I issue the tin hats to the Mods!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Alan Roe (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest Chris Goddard

Why's that then Uncle Alan??

Personally (That's me and no-one else!!) I think we should be allied to the alliance. Because quite rightly we are ALL part of the countryside and as the saying goes "United we Stand! Divided we Fall!!"

If you feel that I am so disgustingly anti. your ideals my address is there for you to reply to feel free to use It!! But for goodness sake don't bother Alan!! I'm sure he has better things to worry about??

Chris Goddard

ANMC

Guest Excalibur

Don't know if tin hats will be enough! Seriously though, I seem to have to say this ad nauseam:- United we stand, divided we fall.( Was writing this as you posted yours.Didn't pinch your phrase, Chris).) Sticking our heads in the sand and hoping the problem will pass us by will never be the answer. We must join forces with as many countryside pastimes as possible, even if this means getting into bed with some elements we may not like too much.

The Countryside Alliance is probably the most acceptable organisation to most people, and if the general public are not careful then this green and pleasant land will be a vile place to live. All "Hunters" (Anglers, Shooters, Huntsmen etc) are the custodians of this land. If we lose the war to the antis in this, we have lost everything.

Anybody got any happy posts going, I feel sad after posting this!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Excalibur (edited 12 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Excalibur (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest mpbdsnu

The Countryside Alliance seem to have gone very quiet actually! confused.gif

I wonder why that is? rolleyes.gif

Could be something to do with the fact they are NOT asking for our help at the moment! Strange isn't it - only ever hear from them when they want our support! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mpbdsnu (edited 12 February 2002).]

The Alliance seems to have been formed so whats to discuss?

If your asking if I feel any affinity to the toffs riding around on horse back in hunting pink (who seem to set the agenda for the country side alliance) then a big fat NO.

There are people who will agree and those who don't, like me.

What I want to know is who has set up the alliance? The NFA? What gives these people the mandate to represent me as an angler to do such a thing? For me it just fuels the anti campaign to steer public perception against angling with the same emotive propaganda it uses against fox hunting.

I can see no good coming from it.

Regards

D

Guest catchaplenty

It's a good idea. Excalibur is right, all hunters should stick together. Let's not leave other country pursuits to fight alone assuming we'll be left alone. Also, the bigger the organisation, the more economic clout we have. This will make the M.P.s in urban areas realise that its not just a problem for rural areas. We'll see where their priorities lie then.

Dave - proud to be an angler

Guest ThePiker

I can't believe what I have just read on this forum,fellow anglers "sitting with" people who butcher foxes and other wildlife just for the fun of it and calling it sport,culling,or pest control.These people need us more than we need them,anglers,(especially us coarse anglers ) should stand up and be proud of our sport where we return all we catch,not alligning ourselves to these barbaric people who tourture the very things that sometimes make our day when the fish aren't biting.Next time your out, and see a fox,hare or rabbit think that it may not be there in a few weeks time because of the very people who you are giving your support to...I for one will never give the time of day to the "countryside alliance" or any other name they use.....I urge you to reconsider....

Guest Vagabond
Originally posted by dexter:

If your asking if I feel any affinity to the toffs riding around on horse back in hunting pink

(Why didn't this quote come up in BOLD?)

Dexter, not all hunters ride around in pink - many are farmers, farm workers, all sorts of countryfolk, and even a few townies.

Many do not even ride. Not only do most foxhunts have foot followers, but some hunts (beagles, bassetts etc) operate wholly on foot.

The working man crouched in a ditch paunching a rabbit he has just caught with ferrets and a lurcher is just as much a "hunter with dogs" as the local Master of Foxhounds.

Nobody should try to disguise class envy (which is the REAL motive of most antis) as a moral objection to hunting.

I agree absolutely with previous posters that we should all support the Countryside Alliance

------------------

Vagabond

[This message has been edited by Vagabond (edited 12 February 2002).]

I don't think it is class envy more class arrogance in that they think they can do what they want. If they want to kill the foxes why not shoot 'em? I spent two years with a household cavalary regiment and know exactly what hunts are about after playing beater for several in Germany. And one thing its not about is vermin control.

But that's not the issue I was addressing.

I don't envy the people I just don't want to be associated with them. The country side alliance march in London was no doubt aimed at a number of deserving rural issues. What did it turn into? A march about fox hunting. That's my arguement, I just don't want angling to be hi-jacked by a cause that is not deserving of it.

Regards

D