Witcher Aerial 002

SOLD

Hello gentlemen. It's been a while. I hope you’re all well.

I’m intending to sell one of my Witcher reels on eBay shortly, and, remembering the interest in these things on this forum, I thought I’d give you an early heads up.

Here's a preview of my (unfinished) eBay ad (I haven't checked the weights yet, and so on):

Witcher Aerial

This is a very rare and extremely fine handmade centrepin fishing reel. It is the Witcher Aerial, Number 002.

It is one the famous pair of so-called ‘zero-zero’ reels that Paul made for himself in 2003, stamped 001 and 002. In all, only 33 Witcher Aerials were made (often called the 1920 pattern, after the Allcock Aerial on which its design was based), and each is highly sought after. Paul kept the first two for himself (these were the only ones stamped with the ‘00’ prefix), and the 002 is only now for the first time available on the open market.

A description of these reels and the history of Paul’s reelmaking may be seen on his website, here:

http://www.paulwitcherproductions.com/page5.htm

The ‘1920 pattern’ Witcher Aerial is a marvellous reel. Its design gives excellent strength and lightness, and this makes it highly versatile and therefore suitable for many different styles of fishing. As well as being a work of art and a great pleasure simply to hold in the hand and spin, best of all it’s a wonderful practical tool to use on the riverbank. The quality of Paul’s craftsmanship is peerless and this reel is the epitome of superb design and precision hand engineering. Described as the ultimate barbel ’pin, it is suited to methods ranging from trundling big baits on riverbeds, to trotting small stick floats for roach, to stalking the margins for summer carp. Centrepin aficionados say it’s a true all-rounder.

About the design, Paul says, ‘The Witcher Aerial was inspired by the Allcock Aerial c.1920, which I consider one of the finest reels ever made. It is characterised by the brilliant, brass-spoked design, invented by Henry Coxon in the late 19th Century and marketed by the Allcock company for decades thereafter. I have made only a few minor modifications, which I feel are desirable, but otherwise, the Witcher Aerial is as close to the original 1920 model as it is possible to produce in this day and age’.

There’s a short article about the Witcher Aerial on PurePiscator’s Hall of Fame, here:

http://www.purepiscator.com/thehof_entry.aspx?hofid=16

And another article, here:

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=1901

The twelve-spoked perforated spool weighs just XXXg, (which determines the incredibly low start-up inertia). The whole reel weighs only XXXg. The aluminium body and spool have the famous and unique Witcher ‘aged’ finish, the technique of which is closely guarded secret, and the back plate is impressed with the Witcher logo on the outside and the tiny serial number 002 inside. The spindle ‘boss’ is constructed of phosphor bronze, and the reel-seat and calliper ratchet check of brass. This reel has more than 60 individual parts, each of which had to be crafted to the finest tolerances. The centre boss, around which the workings of the reel revolve, is the most critical of all, taking more than 30 different painstaking processes to make. Everything about the reel design and materials is made with longevity and reliability in mind, and this reel should be working as well as it does today for generations to come.

The 002 is dazzling. Commensurate with the unique antique finish, it has a genuine patina of light use with odd scuffs here and there where Paul fished for those Hampshire Avon barbel. It spins sublimely, with the purest free motion, silent and sweet. Paul has just serviced and tuned the reel, and it runs exquisitely. The gentlest touch will start the spool turning, and a trotted 2BB stick float will peel line effortlessly from it. The mysteriously hypnotic way it spins can enchant you and make your hairs stand on end! This is a reel with soul.

Paul has convinced me he won’t be making any more reels, and the growing scarcity of his existing ones on the market makes them increasingly collectable and valuable (and therefore an excellent financial investment). A few of his reels are noted as particularly important for their rarity- this is one of those. It is a museum piece, and whoever comes to own it will surely cherish it and never want to let it go.

The reel comes with its gorgeous original handmade block leather case, and unique certificate of authenticity. I shall of course package the reel extremely carefully for delivery, and promptly despatch it fully insured and registered First Class on completion, free of charge.

Estimated insurance value: £1200-£1500, though it is of course irreplaceable. The auction reserve is £950. No-quibble return guarantee. Please email me with any questions.

So there you go. Offers welcome!

ATB,

Mike.

Edited by MikeT

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reformed "Pinaholic" may I ask for this man to be banned and this post removed? No different to a drug dealer stood out side the Priory with a bag of smack! Outrageous! I know that Rusty and Tiger to name but two addicts will be checking their accounts/evaluating their marriages at this very moment!

I sold all my "top" pins a few years back (financial necessity rather than really wanting to) and have happily fished with my trusty Leeds and AN pin,I know there is no need for Witchers,genuine Aerials,even Fred Crouch copies but stuff like this still sets my heart racing!

Goes to show once an addict always an addict...."My names Budgie Burgess and Im a Pinoholic and Ive not owned or used one for 975days"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Estimated insurance value: £1200-£1500, though it is of course irreplaceable. The auction reserve is £950. No-quibble return guarantee. Please email me with any questions.

So there you go. Offers welcome!

ATB,

Mike.

Dash it, I just spent my last £1,350 on a Land Rover Discovery with 12 months MOT! :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Dash it, I just spent my last £1,350 on a Land Rover Discovery with 12 months MOT! :P

Ah, poor you.

Hmm. I wonder what it 'll be worth in, say, five years time. The Landy, I mean. By then, the reel will almost certainly be worth more than it goes for- which means that, rather than costing money, it's actually growing money! (Mind you, you can get so much more in the boot of a Disco).

:D

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

And that really puts this pin madness into perspective though doesnt it! :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Oh heck! ...it's calling me....I need to resist....it's not a question of need, more a compulsive resolute and pressing desire to obtain what I might one day need....No, I don't need it, I'll never need it. I must resist such urges and take a cold shower straight away. Failing that cut up my credit card and repeat the mantra, I must not buy any more pins, I must not buy any more pins, OMMMMMMM.

Nice reel though - would go a treat on my pending Harrison gti. Oh no!

I must not buy any more pins, I must not buy any more pins, OMMMMMMM.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I must not buy any more pins, I must not buy any more pins, OMMMMMMM.

You'll be buying a baitrunner next you big girl! :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I know that Rusty and Tiger to name but two addicts will be checking their accounts/evaluating their marriages at this very moment!

:lol::lol:

I've already got two bloody Lythes on order which is pushing things to the limit in our house :rolleyes: