Dry fly takes

tcman

Hi.Although i am the wrong side of 60 i have only been fly fishing about 3 years . Now when dry fly fishing i was told when first started,if i see the fly go under and a swirl but no line movement do not strike until the line moves or i will miss more takes than otherwise. While fishing this Thursday an expert who has been doing this for 30 years and was watching me said i should have struck when the fly went down (shipmans buzzer) even though there was no line movemant. WHO is right, Cheers in anticipation R.

I think it depends. In general, I have found that a quicker strike is needed with a smaller fly and in running water. When fishing a daddy or a big hopper for stillwater rainbows, I have missed too many fish by striking early, whereas fishing for small river brownies with little gnats or F-flies you can hardly be too quick.

I think it depends. In general, I have found that a quicker strike is needed with a smaller fly and in running water. When fishing a daddy or a big hopper for stillwater rainbows, I have missed too many fish by striking early, whereas fishing for small river brownies with little gnats or F-flies you can hardly be too quick.

Thanks S.( Still water rainbows ) should have said,but you think i was told right.Richard.

Trial and error on the day, I would say - a Shipman's Buzzer is not a big fly, so a quicker strike might have been OK, but if you didn't miss the bite or deep hook a fish, does it really matter? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Trial and error on the day, I would say - a Shipman's Buzzer is not a big fly, so a quicker strike might have been OK, but if you didn't miss the bite or deep hook a fish, does it really matter? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Now i am more confused,as it happens i did catch several,but only by striking when seeing the line move,my friend the expert said i should have had more but who knows,by striking too early i may have spooked them all.Richard

Now i am more confused,as it happens i did catch several,but only by striking when seeing the line move,my friend the expert said i should have had more but who knows,by striking too early i may have spooked them all.Richard

hi,

what size shipmans was it?

dry takes can be very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

opinions differ on when, how hard to "lift" dont strike as such

slow figure 8 will keep you in contact

for a while i used to slowly move rod tip to either right or left (wind depending) on slow figure eight

if a bow develops to right i move rod to left to "lift" "strike" set hook

and if bow to left move rod tip right.........

trial and error the smaller the fly the quicker it can spit it out

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Pupae tend to be taken by head and tailing rather than a distinct rise for a winged insect. Therefore the take is different and a swirl will suggest a take. If you see the line move the fish has already started to swim off with it, and they are easier to hook by simply tightening firmly.

With a winged insect, the fish often has to get it's head - or at least it's mouth - out of the water to engulf the fly, and then turn as it goes back in. This generally means that you need to wait for the fish to turn so that you can hook it.

With a shipmans or other 'in the surface film fly' I suggest a brief pause - very brief - before tightening. Do not strike as such. You are only trying to set a hook less than 5mm to get a good hook hold. Pulling firmly with the line hand and lifting the rod should do it. If you miss you can then leave it in the new position. Sometimes a pull of the fly induces a fish to chase it and you get a take again very quickly.

If you strike you rip the line off the water and cause a big disturbance. You can strike to the side in the direction of the line, that would also do it with less disturbance, but personally, I find with buzzers, that keeping a tight line or maintaining contact with a big loop if allowing them to drift, you should be able to pull into them quite quickly and firmly without a strike as such.

With dry mayflies, and sedges you have to give a big pause before lifting. It's a big insect and takes some effort to get it all in!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Pupae tend to be taken by head and tailing rather than a distinct rise for a winged insect. Therefore the take is different and a swirl will suggest a take. If you see the line move the fish has already started to swim off with it, and they are easier to hook by simply tightening firmly.

With a winged insect, the fish often has to get it's head - or at least it's mouth - out of the water to engulf the fly, and then turn as it goes back in. This generally means that you need to wait for the fish to turn so that you can hook it.

With a shipmans or other 'in the surface film fly' I suggest a brief pause - very brief - before tightening. Do not strike as such. You are only trying to set a hook less than 5mm to get a good hook hold. Pulling firmly with the line hand and lifting the rod should do it. If you miss you can then leave it in the new position. Sometimes a pull of the fly induces a fish to chase it and you get a take again very quickly.

If you strike you rip the line off the water and cause a big disturbance. You can strike to the side in the direction of the line, that would also do it with less disturbance, but personally, I find with buzzers, that keeping a tight line or maintaining contact with a big loop if allowing them to drift, you should be able to pull into them quite quickly and firmly without a strike as such.

With dry mayflies, and sedges you have to give a big pause before lifting. It's a big insect and takes some effort to get it all in!

Hi,Thanks all. Size 14. Well still confused but will definately try and just tighten up by pulling the line with fingers rather than a full blown strike with rod,if then a miss,not much damage done and maybe another chance. As one of you says,a little enigma dry flying but very exciting and satisfying when you score. Cheers Richard.