' Is report of improved Cod Stock true? '

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what you looking for Deene'o :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leadi...ea-1973980.html

quote:

This sank to an historic low of 35,700 in 2006 before rising to an estimated 54,250 this year. This revival has not come about by chance.

Conservation methods undertaken by the Scottish fishing fleet, such as using wider meshes and throwing fewer small fish back into the sea, have minimised the absurd wastefulness of the EU's common fishing policy.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

This what you looking for Deene'o :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leadi...ea-1973980.html

quote:

This sank to an historic low of 35,700 in 2006 before rising to an estimated 54,250 this year. This revival has not come about by chance.

Conservation methods undertaken by the Scottish fishing fleet, such as using wider meshes and throwing fewer small fish back into the sea, have minimised the absurd wastefulness of the EU's common fishing policy.

You know what Barry I read recently that the figure of 75.000 was the estimated amount of cod in the Newfoundland fishery when it was described as collapsed and the Canadian government then band fishing completely at the cost of 40.000 jobs, Here the EU have been debating this since 2002 see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2580733.stm with the stark warning to which I refer but still the paper chase goes on with no real mean full attempt to stop the decline from those politicians who job it is to take action rather than drag things on simply because the longer they talk the more they get paid.

As for today’s TV report and that of recent catches in Whitby I have to say that we are a couple of years from seeing a proper recovery yet and while we here in the South West are seeing a similar reemergence of small Cod turning up we simply put them back to grow, not in the box for fish soup.

:P

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Know what you mean Deene'o Have a look at these figures within this link as a comparison with the new improved stock totals that they have posted for this year.

2010, cod stock has improved to 54.250

yet: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1005565.stm

quote:

In the 1980s, landings of North Sea cod were about 300,000 tonnes annually. This year's catch was set at 80,000 tonnes, but the fish are so scarce that landings amounted to only 50,000 tonnes.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The North Sea does have other ports that aren't called Whitby, Deene'o.

I do take your point about the number of small cod though. We have been plagued by poxy 8lb-10lb'ers on my patch. The things are worse than dogfish, and should there be any further increase it could lead to a mass extinction of RSA 'reps'.

PS. Love the Grand Banks analogy. Never heard that before. Did you get the info from the usual dusty old 'spin doctors'?

Look, if I don't do something soon, the world is going explode into tiny pieces. The best thing everyone can do is to pay me millions of pounds so that I can employ departments full of people who will research it and come up with a cunning plan. I will also be able to buy that new Land Rover I've always wanted, and a horse for my Daughter. Oh, and a nice holiday in the Carribean for my Wife. Well, that will do for starters.

Then, I can sit back and wait for nature to take it's course for a decade or two, (all the time keeping my fund topped up), then claim credit for saving the world when it becomes obvious that I've been bullshitting.

Easy.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Look, if I don't do something soon, the world is going explode into tiny pieces. The best thing everyone can do is to pay me millions of pounds so that I can employ departments full of people who will research it and come up with a cunning plan. I will also be able to buy that new Land Rover I've always wanted, and a horse for my Daughter. Oh, and a nice holiday in the Carribean for my Wife. Well, that will do for starters.

Then, I can sit back and wait for nature to take it's course for a decade or two, (all the time keeping my fund topped up), then claim credit for saving the world when it becomes obvious that I've been bullshitting.

Easy.

Ah Stephen ‘there’s no shortage of fish’ Coppolo, who would have us believe that just about every Charter Boat skipper that has been around for a while is completely wrong about a decline in fish stocks. It’s ok because he gets plenty of fish every time he goes out. Know what Steve I used to think just like you but after forty years of going out at least once a month I have conceded that these skipper might just be right so much so that I upped sticks and moved from Hampshire to Cornwall last year just so that for my few remaining years of agility I might just have a few more fish to catch. The waters around the Isle of Wight do still have fish but nothing like it was ten years ago and Iceland and Canada didn’t go and impose a two hundred mile limit for the hell of it. Oh and Steve you have still to explain where the Herring that were once plentiful in the North Sea have gone. I know that this topic has been discussed in the EU since 2002 and all they have come up with is inadequate quotas and other stupid ideas the CFP is crap. The AT haven’t a clue so your right, there lobbying is a waste of time and money. It’s also shame though as I can’t believe one of the country’s top fishing correspondents is unable to see the sheep because of the wool in his eyes, are you sure you’re not a former politician. B)

Oh and Steve you have still to explain where the Herring that were once plentiful in the North Sea have gone.

Have they gone, then? I don't know what those silver fish in my bait freezer are, then, but I could have sworn they were North Sea Herring. Perhaps the fisherman who gave them to me bought some imported ones and pretended he caught them? But I can't imagine why he would do that when the North Sea is stuffed with them.

I don't know what the charter skippers down your way are saying, Deano, but I don't hear too many complaints from the ones up here. Have you asked local private boat owners what their fishing is like?

Maybe you are just unlucky and the fishing is poor in your part of the world, but friends of mine who live down there seem to do alright. They catch some very good fish from the beaches. The photos on your website suggest that things aren't as grim as you say.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

On the telly this morning they anounced a 40% recovery in North Sea Cod Stocks How come then they can only land tiddlers at Whitby see http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=15319.0

Deeno myfriend at the moment we are still experiencing the longist algie bloom i have ever know it started in late march and is still with us hopefuly not for much longer 3-7lb fish i am sure are exceptable to most people that is mainly what we are getting at the moment with a few doubles thrown in but while the algie is with us for some reason you dont seem to see the much better fish the south has had a nice run of fish between 6-10lb this winter next winter could be just the opposite lets hope not last year here it was alive with fish around the 10lb mark i wouldnt like to think how many cod between 10-15lb but there was plenty fishing is about conditions get the right conditions the sea comes alive which hopefully will be in the next few days when this green muck goes prior to the green muck were getting fish up and around the 10lb plus mark as for 40% increase in cod stocks that must have been dreamt up by somebody in the NFFO that is probably takieng it back to the 90ss levells if it was true it would be very very nice.

GeneralAprilMay20100851.jpg

GeneralAprilMay20100811.jpg

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Have they gone, then? I don't know what those silver fish in my bait freezer are, then, but I could have sworn they were North Sea Herring. Perhaps the fisherman who gave them to me bought some imported ones and pretended he caught them? But I can't imagine why he would do that when the North Sea is stuffed with them.

I don't know what the charter skippers down your way are saying, Deano, but I don't hear too many complaints from the ones up here. Have you asked local private boat owners what their fishing is like?

Maybe you are just unlucky and the fishing is poor in your part of the world, but friends of mine who live down there seem to do alright. They catch some very good fish from the beaches. The photos on your website suggest that things aren't as grim as you say.

The North Sea stuffed with Herring now there’s a fanciful statement strange then the south west that used to see similar amounts of the silver critters is not stuffed with them too, yes there are some to be had but nothing like the numbers you suggest. My web site does as you say show some cracking fish but since it’s out set in 2003 and particularly these past two years finding reports is not as easy as it was. I will admit that we have had two very windy summers and this year a cold long winter that saw fewer RSA adventures and a restriction of some commercial activity to which will have helped the stock to a small extent. However Steve the skippers like your self are not going to shout to loud about declining stock as bookings would suffer or in your case magazine sales fall having said that if you listen to them as I have over the years when they get to chatting on the radio between each other then you will hear what they truly think. Finally as the informed Mr Luxton points out the official landing figures speak volumes.

So best we agree to disagree but I would put this to you Steve, and that is as we now have a change in government one that lays claim to listen (I know we’ve heard that one before) and one that will act as the publics servant. (Please don’t puke, give em a chance)

If that is the case perhaps we should tell them that because of all of these claims about declining fish stocks. How about we opt out of the CFP like we did with the Euro then declare a two hundred mile limit where ever possible and insist on sustainable methods of commercial fishing. Not only might it give back the UK a decent commercial fishing business but we the RSAs would be sure to benefit with more and bigger fish.

As for you big cod with your green algie 'yuck' I did hear that it's global warming thats caused that. Some one pick Steve up off the floor please. But yep them past glories look good do send me the story www.rodbenders.net :D