Hi Everyone

David Harkins

Recently started fishing again after a gap, long gap, of 35 years - Not sure why it's taken me so long. I live in Carlisle and fly fish for trout in the River Eden and River Caldew. Have to say it's not as easy as I thought it might be. Put this down to the fact I ain't 16 anymore. Tired walking to the river, let alone fishing for a few hours when I do eventuall get to the riverbank. So far I've been out 4 times and am yet to catch anything, so any tips, what flies, where the best places to fish are, will be gratefully recieved.

Hi David and welcome.

I didn't want you to feel ignored. Weekends are normally slow on here and lots of our regulars are at the annual AN fishin at Wingham. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...s-t2333010.html

The fishery is operated by a long time member here, Steve Burke, and every year about this time he has a weekend fishin open to any AN members on a first come (well, first to notify him once he opens things for the year), first served basis.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi David and welcome.

I didn't want you to feel ignored. Weekends are normally slow on here and lots of our regulars are at the annual AN fishin at Wingham. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...s-t2333010.html

The fishery is operated by a long time member here, Steve Burke, and every year about this time he has a weekend fishin open to any AN members on a first come (well, first to notify him once he opens things for the year), first served basis.

Hi,Newt and Dave,Only been fly fishing myself bout 3 years Dave,so not really qualified to advise you,just keep trying and most of all enjoy it, i usually catch now but occasionaly get water licked,still enjoy it though. I am still learning to cast right. Cu. Richard.

Recently started fishing again after a gap, long gap, of 35 years - Not sure why it's taken me so long. I live in Carlisle and fly fish for trout in the River Eden and River Caldew. Have to say it's not as easy as I thought it might be. Put this down to the fact I ain't 16 anymore. Tired walking to the river, let alone fishing for a few hours when I do eventuall get to the riverbank. So far I've been out 4 times and am yet to catch anything, so any tips, what flies, where the best places to fish are, will be gratefully recieved.

Right here's a few flies to be getting on with! Now all of these work in a range of sizes from 18s or even 20s up to 10s! so thats an important proviso as size and colour and shape are the three main keys to be working with.

The ones I never leave home without are

1. Greenwells glory

2.Black gnat

3. Adams

4.Klinkhammer

5.Gold ribbed hairs ear both as a dry fly and as a nymph and a goldheaded version can be deadly

6.Hawthorne fly

7.Grey duster

N.B. it is worth while haveing these patterns tied in both the normal style of hackling and also tied in parachute style especially for those evenings when you can see fish rising all round you and you can't see what the little buggers are taking......9 out of 10 they will be on spinners which lie flat in the water hence why you can't see them!

Nymphs

Pheasant tail

Gold ribbed hares ear as described above

Some buzzer patterns in different colours.

That little lot will see you through a season anywhere in the UK and probably most of the world!

Remember most of the time it's not the fly it's the driver!

Hope this helps

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Right here's a few flies to be getting on with! Now all of these work in a range of sizes from 18s or even 20s up to 10s! so thats an important proviso as size and colour and shape are the three main keys to be working with.

The ones I never leave home without are

1. Greenwells glory

2.Black gnat

3. Adams

4.Klinkhammer

5.Gold ribbed hairs ear both as a dry fly and as a nymph and a goldheaded version can be deadly

6.Hawthorne fly

7.Grey duster

N.B. it is worth while haveing these patterns tied in both the normal style of hackling and also tied in parachute style especially for those evenings when you can see fish rising all round you and you can't see what the little buggers are taking......9 out of 10 they will be on spinners which lie flat in the water hence why you can't see them!

Nymphs

Pheasant tail

Gold ribbed hares ear as described above

Some buzzer patterns in different colours.

That little lot will see you through a season anywhere in the UK and probably most of the world!

Remember most of the time it's not the fly it's the driver!

Hope this helps

Thanks for advice on flys. Was out fishing on Rver Eden on Sunday evening. Using wet fly I caught of all things a dace. Had a few bites, which I think were dace too. Could do with a bit of rain.