Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports

Steve Burke

This has been the best start we've ever had to a Wingham Fish-In!

It was very foggy this morning with a little drizzle. Gradually the fog lifted at about 9am to thick low cloud and at only 11C (52F) all morning it was distinctly chilly. The sun finally broke through at about midday and the afternoon was sunny with a maximum of 19C (66F) and a mainly light NE breeze.

Very few guests were set up during the low cloud but of those that did Smiffles had a superb perch of 3-14. If you remember her other half Dales had a 4lber last weekend. So smiles all round!

Medway Green had 2 tench early on: 8-04 & 9-06.

A few fish were caught during the afternoon but they switched on properly in the last hour of daylight. I did a circuit of the lake between 8 & 9pm and below are the fish reports. Sorry if I've missed anyone out or got anything wrong.

Mat Hillman: PB perch of 2-12

Errrm: PB tench of 8-06, another of 7-06 and a male tench of 4-00

Medway Green: PB tench of 09-06 plus another of 8-04

Jedibond: tench of 8-02 & 6-00 plus a perch of 1-12

Ian Campbell: PB tench of 7-12 plus another of 6-02

Dales: PB eel of 4-09 (a new lake record) + PB pike of 18-03

Smiffles: PB perch of 3-14

Babelfish: 3-07 tench

Anderoo: tench of 7-03 & 2-00

Anthony78: 8 tench including a PB of 7-06

John Block: 9-02 tench

Glyn: 5 tench to 8-10

Steve Walker: pike about 4lbs

Miroku: an eel about 1lb + a pike about 7lbs

The carp started spawning on the Carp Lake yesterday and so Si and Will Wilkinson switched to the Coarse Lake. There was just enough room but only because poor Cliff63 couldn't make it due to illness. Bad luck Cliff, get well soon!

Hopefully we'll have some low cloud tomorrow and Monday, but it's not forecast.

Best of all would be a big bream. Lyn possibly lost one when she had a heavy fish on that didn't fight, but the hook pulled. It could well have been as Tigger and Miroku nearby reported line bites soon after.

Some guests had only just set up as I left, especially syndicate members who graciously helped out newcomers (thanks, guys!), so hopefully they'll be a lot more to report tomorrow!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smiffles had a superb perch of 3-14. If you remember her other half Dales had a 4lber last weekend. So smiles all round!

Medway Green had 2 tench early on: 8-04 & 09-06.

Errrm: PB tench of 8-06, another of 7-06 and a male tench of 4-00

Jedibond: tench of 8-02 & 6-00 plus a perch of 1-12

Ian Campbell: PB tench of 7-12 plus another of 6-02

Dales: PB eel of 4-09 (a new lake record) + PB pike of 18-03

Babelfish: 3-07 tench

Anderoo: tench of 7-03 & 2-00

Anthony78: 8 tench including a PB of 7-06

John Block: 9-02 tench

Steve Walker: pike about 4lbs

Miroku: an eel about 1lb + a pike about 7lbs

Some lovely fish, I'm particualrly envious of the tench and perch catches.

I was thinking of you all today while I worked!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Well what can I say, that has not already been said or penned about Wingham, the place where fishing dreams do come true.

First of all many thanks and my gratitude to Steve, Peggy, Terry, Glynn and Tom on providing such a wonderful AN fish-in once again.

I am not going to write a long report, I will try to discribe by pictures the day, just to say that I broke my PB for Tench which had stood for 33 years TWICE

IMG_0014a.jpg

IMG_0015a.jpg

IMG_0021a.jpg

9lbs6ozs2010.jpg

IMG_0027a8lbs6ozs.jpg

IMG_0031a.jpg

IMG_0032a.jpg

IMG_0034a.jpg

IMG_0037a.jpg

What a great 2010.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

This has been the best start we've ever had to a Wingham Fish-In!

The carp started spawning on the Carp Lake yesterday (Friday)

Yep, the carp were spawning on the lake I fished on Friday. I expect they are spawning everywhere.

Thought that might make it easier to catch a grassie with the carp not feeding, but the grassies were on hunger strike too. :angry:

When it became very humid late afternoon, with lots of insect and swallow/martin activity, I thought it looked good for the Fish-in this weekend.

Hope the good spell persists for you all, I'm now off to Wales for some smooth hounds, and then on to the Lakes for another crack at charr.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

A very warm and very sunny day today with the temperature reaching 24C (75F). Not surprisingly it didn't fish well during the afternoon. But it sure did last night and early this morning!

Best of all we've had a bream, that man Richard Capper again! Congratulations, Rich! It was almost 2 bream, but poor Russ McCully lost one at the net.

Here's the latest catches, up to early evening when the fish started to feed again:

Richard Capper: a bream of 15-13 plus 9 tench to 8-14

Mat Hillman: PB perch of 2-12, plus an eel

Errrm: 4 tench including a PB of 8-06, plus a small pike

Jedibond: 4 tench to 8-02, plus 2 perch to 2-13

Ian87: 4 tench including 2 PBs of 7-12

Dales: PB eel of 4-09 (a new lake record) + a PB pike of 18-03 and 2 other doubles, plus a perch of 1-08

Wyeknot: a 10lb pike

Babelfish: 2 tench to 4-08

Tincatinca: a tench of 8-05

Anderoo: 4 tench to 7-14

Tony U: a 3lb tench and 2 eels to 2-08

Anthony78: 9 tench including a PB of 7-06

John Block: 8 tench to 9-02 tench, plus an eel of about 2-08

Sharkbyte: a 6-00 tench

Russ McCully: 2 tench including a PB of 8-06 plus 2 perch to 1-12

Will Wilkinson: a 7-08 tench

Maddog: a PB tench of 9-01

Steve Walker: 4 tench including a PB of 8-03, plus a pike about 4lbs

Si: 2 tench including a PB of 9-02

Liam Hurst: 2lb eel

Tigger: 2 eels plus a pike of about 7lbs

Miroku: 4 eels + a pike about 12lbs

The hot weather has meant that the carp have started spawning on the Coarse Lake as well - and Sharkbyte has a story to tell here!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Great to have such excellent fishing this year and well done to all.

LOL - I know Wingham has some great fish but from memory, this has to be a record number of new AN PBs even for that fabulous water. You maintain one helluva fishery my friend.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers, Newt.

What was especially nice was that so far fish have come from 80% of the lake this time, probably because of the light winds. The only area that didn't produce was the top one last year. This is deeper and I suspect that with the late spring it hadn't yet warmed up.

What is becoming apparent is, at this time of year at least, if it's windy one end of the lake always fishes better. The trouble is it's not always the same end, even in identical conditions!

Edited by Steve Burke

Well what can I say, that has not already been said or penned about Wingham, the place where fishing dreams do come true.

First of all many thanks and my gratitude to Steve, Peggy, Terry, Glynn and Tom on providing such a wonderful AN fish-in once again.

I am not going to write a long report, I will try to discribe by pictures the day, just to say that I broke my PB for Tench which had stood for 33 years TWICE

What a great 2010.

Richard

I did not even realise you were there otherwise we would have popped round to see you. Well done with the Tench we will have to do a session at Hoo and see if you can raise the bar even further, (a 12lber was rumoured to have come out a couple of years ago).

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

First I'd like to say thanks to Steve, Peggy, Glynn, Terry and Tom for putting on the fish-in again and making it brilliant!

Also I'd like to say thanks to Richard Capper and Anderoo for all the advice an help over the weekend which probably helped turn a blank into a great session where I broke 2 PBs, Tench 8-06, Pike 18-00, although I'm not sure a pike on a boilie counts as a PB!?

Also thanks Budgie for the loan of a bedchair for the weekend.

It was great to meet everyone and enjoy the (too hot) weather! hopefully it will get even better next year! :-)