Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports

Steve Burke

I lost a monster carp.....but like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter.

Much!

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had a 18lb pike (PB)

Whoops! Sorry, Neil.

That makes 14 PBs from 35 anglers.

If you discount syndicate members that 13 PBs for 26 guests, so exactly 50%!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks again to Steve, Peggy and the bailiffs - a really enjoyable weekend! I had four runs from tench, which turned into an 8lb3oz, 7lb3oz, 6lb12oz and a 5lb8oz male, and five runs from pike resulting in one miss, three bite-offs and a four or five pounder on the bank. And no eels! :lol:

This is my new PB tench, the 8lb 3oz.

wingham005.jpg

(By the way, if anyone finds a glasses case and an iPhone charger...)

Well what can one say about Wingham that has not been said before on numerous occassions. The place itself is really heaven on earth but is helped in no small way by the unbelieveable amount of work that goes on not only at the time of the fish in but throughout the year. For me, it really is a privilege to be able fish there so my sincere thanks go to everyone involved in making Wingham what it is today. I am now recovering from a touch of sun burn from being in a swim which offered very little shade so how Steve, Peggy, Terry, Glyn, Tom and Will managed over the three days I do not know, particularly Peggy who must have had a bit of a hot time in producing the legendary Wingham barbecues. With regard to the fishing, what was really good to see was the pure delight of individuals especially after breaking their PBs and the camerarderie that it developed. If the fish are in front of you, they are not too difficult to catch however that does not apply to the Bream and I would like to congratulate Richard on his achievement and also to commiserate with the near misses, as I know the feeling of losing one at the net. On a personal note, I spent a lot of time searching the swim with a marker float and was delighted when I found a gravel patch at around 8 to 9 feet wheras the water in front of me dropped to 13 feet. Two rods were put on it and whilst I only managed one fish, I was highly delighted as it was one of the older strains of Tench and my first one at 8-05. Once again, a big thank you to all

I must echo everyone else in thanking Steve, Peggy and the bailiffs for their hospitality and hard work. It was also great to meet members and put faces to names etc.

Unfortunatly for miroku, Den and myself we where in a pretty quiet corner in terms of tench and bream but it did seem to be quite thick with pike and eels. I wish now that I'd targeted the eels as I reckon I could have done really well. Instead I persiveered targeting the tench and bream so at night when the eels started to emerge and patrol I removed the maggots from my hooks and replaced them with corn/fake corn, boilies etc in an effort to avoid them. Miroku/Steve actually made up a rig for the eels using very fine wire and a size 2 partridge barbel hook on a bolt style rig. It did prove to work perfectly and his eels where all hooked square in their bottom lip (no deep hooking or hooks left in the eels) so very easy to unhook without even touching the eel.

My best fish was a lovely looking pike of around 7/8lb that snaffled my float fished worm as I searched for a perch in the margins.

Well done to everyone who caught and especially to those who got new PB's !

All in all a super weekends fishing at a very well run and organised fishery.

Edited by Tigger

Once again I was lucky enough to get a place at the fishin, and found myself in a really beautiful swim..a view up the lake, an island within reach, various features to fish around and the birds. Ah yes, the birds……….

As I was surveying my swim, a fish rolled about 200 yards across the other side, and my hopes rose….sadly, this was to be the only sign of life in my swim (except the pike) for all 3 days. I steered clear of worms and maggots, and stuck to small boilies and method feeder, but I never had as much as a twitch……………except for the occasional pike which gave me liners. The pike would have been so easy to catch, but not what I go to Wingham for :)

I worked the area within reach, all to no avail, not even a tench to show for my efforts.

I can (and do) handle blanks, part of the interest for me, but I had to feel for the guy on my right...................almost complete novice coarse fishing wise, stuck in a sunbaked corner of the lake...crystal clear water, no fish (except for the ever present pike, the place is alive with them)...................and he ended up sleeping on the ground as he had forgotten his bed. Had I known, he could have had my sleeping bag to soften the ground a bit.

All in all, a very peaceful weekend, not something I get very often, most of the lakes I fish are always busy.

Thanks once again to Steve and Peggy for their hospitality.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Many thanks to Steve, Glyn, Terry and Tom for all the hard work that you have all put in to put on another great event. Steve Campbell for the Bacon Sandwiches and Andrew Burgess for all the info on my swim, it's a shame I could not make better use of it and bag a Tench or Bream.

An extra special thank you should go to Peggy, we were all roasting in the heat, imagine what it must have been like behind the barbecue :o

Well to the fishing, it was an odd session for me. I had set my sights on a big Perch and hoped to pick up a bonus Tench or Bream. The Swim Steve put me in looked great with a nice slope in the margins going in to deep water. Andrew B had provided me with plenty of info on features for the Tench/Bream. I had 2 baiting approaches for the weekend, one area was baited with groundbait and little goodies for the nuisance species Tench/Bream :D. These nuisance speceis stayed away :)

I had better luck with my other area which was baited with Perch and Eels in mind and basically involved casting feeders all weekend of dead maggots and chopped worm in to a deep area of water and throwing sloppy groundbait mixed with liquid worm and predator plus over it.

The cloud effect of the bait worked a treat in the clear water and attracted in plenty of Perch that were attracted to the cloud but ignored any loose worm or maggots cast in to it :( The Perch looked to be around 2 pounders, but may have been bigger as the Pike I caught looked like jacks in the deep water but ended up as doubles when landed.

I spent most of the weekend with my polaroids on watching and feeding fish in the margins, in the clear water I could see plenty of big Pike swimming up and down in pods of 4 to 7 fish with smaller groups of Perch which seemed to be in threes moving with them. I also saw big eels and I mean big moving at the bottom of the slope. It was no surprise that the Tench did not show in my swim with so many predators around.

I ended up with 4 Pike, 1 small Jack and 3 doubles 18-03, 11-01, 11-03. If only this happended when I go Pike fishing. What was most interesting about hooking these were the fact that larger fish came in to inspect the action, as they were all hooked on either a feeder rod or my Tench rods they took a bit of playing to bring in and so the fights were long with plenty of disturbance. A fish circuled the 18-03 (hooked on a meduim feeder rod and 8lb line) when it was behind the fish both me and smiffles estimated it to be around a third bigger :o

I was most pleased with the biggish eel I caught at 4-09. This was one of my targets for the year to improve on my PB. Oddly it came around 2.30/3.00 in the afternoon in hot sunshine over the area I had baited up with dead maggots and chopped worm. I was so pleased with it and had a big grin for most of the rest of the weekend. I saw what I guessed were much bigger eels swimming past my swim in bright sun light and saw a pair of them feeding at the bottom of the slope on maggots that looked the same size as my 4-09. When trying to estimate the Pike in the water I was well under and so this pair of eels may well have been bigger then I thought.

So for most of the weekend I had the feeling the Tench were not going to show, but that gave me a hope that maybe a Bream would. I spent alot of time just feeding the fish and watching them. The Pike and Perch were attracted to the cloud groundbait, but only the Pike seemed to feed on the food items. I tried float fish maggot in the cloud, but got bitten off by Pike. I don't like leaving hooks in any fish even small ones, so gave up as the Perch only seemed interested in the cloud effect and not the food items it contained and so opted just to ledger lobs. I carried on feeding bait just to watch the Pike and Perch moving in the swim. I hooked one very large Pike, that looked huge in the water on a size 14 hook and 7lb hook length and a bunch of maggots but had very little control over it and after around 15/20 minutes the hook length snapped. Seeing so many Perch refusing to feed was a little frustrating, but the whole spectacle of seeing so many predators mooching around was awe inspiring. If Steve finds a few hours in his busy schedule to do a little lure fishing I would be interested to hear how he gets on.

I caught a number of other eels, not sure if I mentioned it to Steve or the Team, but nothing of any great size up to 2-10.

Wingham is such an inspiring place, last year if some one mentioned the idea of eel fishing I would have looked at them like they were crazy after seeing a few biggies in the water at the Fish-In and the fight from the 4 pounder I think a few summer nights may need allocating to getting a proper big one :D

I had a great time at the Fish-In and I can't think of another place were you can catch 3 double figure Pike including adding 3 ounces to your PB and feel you fished badly! Most places your nuisance species are a few ounce Rudd, Roach or Skimmers. But any how, I came away with 2 new PB's but if I was at school I think my report card would read "could do better". :D

The Perch potential at Wingham has inspired me for a while, now I am now just as curious about it's eels. Just have to work out for the next Fish-In what bait would work for Perch & Eels but not Pike.

PS.

Sorry Will, I left you out. Many thanks for the lift down to the swim it's much appreciated and the help with the lock on the way out. I think mine and smiffles trouble with the lock may have just been down to the fact we secretly did not want to leave ;) Another night locked in at Wingham, what a hard ship that would have been :D

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I caught a number of other eels, not sure if I mentioned it to Steve or the Team, but nothing of any great size up to 2-10.

If you let me know how many I'll amend the results.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If you let me know how many I'll amend the results.

9 others, so 10 in total, only weighed one and that was 2-10, Just thought you may want the info to help with monitoring the eel stocks.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

9 others, so 10 in total, only weighed one and that was 2-10, Just thought you may want the info to help with monitoring the eel stocks.

Cheers, Stephen.