Hello from a new member in Woking

Gusgus

Hi all

Just registered with the forum. I have just been given some basic fishing equipment for my 40th, and I am anxious to learn how to fish enjoyably, at least how to cast out and behave properly with regard to protocol around a lake or canal.

If anyone fishes around the woking area, and wouldn't mind me fishing in the swim next to the and asking a few questions, please reply and let me know.

Thanks in advance

Gusgus

I don't live close enough to you to help (and don't know enough about UK angling to help) so about all I can do is offer you a welcome to Anglers' Net.

I'll move this to the coarse section where more people will see it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi

I'm not in Woking now - moved to Newbury 16 years ago - but when I first returned to fishing a year before the move I lived in Woking on the Barnsbury estate, and then you could fish the River Bourne, a little stream flowing through the estate, free of charge. Maybe you still can? It was full of chub, never caught anything over two pounds, but you could catch them on freelined cheeze, slugs etc. It was a fun way of fishing, walking along the bank and dropping the bait into the holes under the bank. You'd feel a tug-tug and of course you had to tighten onto the fish. Also fished the River Wey a few times - I think I joined the Send Angling Society. I mainly caught chub on ledgered cheeze. You'll realise you have to wait for June 16 for the rivers, and I never really fished the canal or any local lakes.

Best of luck anyway.

john clarke

Hi

I'm not in Woking now - moved to Newbury 16 years ago - but when I first returned to fishing a year before the move I lived in Woking on the Barnsbury estate, and then you could fish the River Bourne, a little stream flowing through the estate, free of charge. Maybe you still can? It was full of chub, never caught anything over two pounds, but you could catch them on freelined cheeze, slugs etc. It was a fun way of fishing, walking along the bank and dropping the bait into the holes under the bank. You'd feel a tug-tug and of course you had to tighten onto the fish. Also fished the River Wey a few times - I think I joined the Send Angling Society. I mainly caught chub on ledgered cheeze. You'll realise you have to wait for June 16 for the rivers, and I never really fished the canal or any local lakes.

Best of luck anyway.

Thanks very much for the advise. Yeah I havefound out that all of the rivers and canals are closed at the moment, but I like the beautiful surroundings of Send and Ripley rivers, so I'll defo fish over there next month.

Best of luck, and thanks again

welcome to anglers net Gusgus, I am sure someone one here lives locally enough to help, good luck with your fishing, plenty of advice for all types of angling if you navigate from the home page. :)