School sports, and protecting their "feelings"

GlennB

I've just read that in a Canadian schoolkids footie league there's a "5 goal winning margin" maximum, exceed this and the rampant team loses. To protect the "self-esteem" of the rubbish team (dear Lord :rolleyes: ) it seems.

Now, - just as a logic puzzle - what should be the outcome of a match assuming both teams do their best to win the points available for the match, and the rule is applied literally?

Take your time ;)

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

From what little I've seen (in the UK) of schoolkids' football leagues, the 5 goal rule is probably designed less to spare the feelings of the losing team than to prevent the outbreak of inter-parental violence on the touchline, pitch invasions, assaults on the ref, etc.

Some of these "soccer mums and dads" can get really vicious. :rolleyes:

They start hacking each other to death to give away penalties...or they both play as badly as possible in the hope the other team scored 5 goals....something to that effect.

Whatever happens, it won't be pretty.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The real result is after the first goal is scored, after that both teams will score as many own goals as possible. :lol:

The real result is after the first goal is scored, after that both teams will score as many own goals as possible. :lol:

Pretty close , but it's worse than that ;)

What are they trying to install in these Kids? Loosers prosper? I understand the ethos of them being kids and that when heads go down expecialy with kids they never pick up... Surley the aim it to win and do your very best if in doing so there is a thrashing of the other team then surley this must encourage others to raise the bar?

I have to say that if I were the coach of the team that was 5 up, I'd tell them to be as unsportsmanly as possible.

Get two or three of them to sit dowm in their own penalty box and have a chat and point and laugh as their remaining team mates continued to hold off the opposition.

It's not that I think that the other team should be humiliated, but I do think that a system such as this should be shown not to work at it's intended aim.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

What you do :

If you win the toss, you kick off and aim to score 6 own goals pdq. The opposition can only hope to charge downfield and stop you. If by some chance you fail to score an own-goal you charge upfield and defend the opponents' goal, to prevent them scoring 6 ownies :rolleyes:

Probably all you'd really need is a coin-tosser and one captain to make the call, then it's pretty much done with. And nobody has their 'self-esteem' damaged and they can all sit at home playing video games.

I agree. I'd almost got there, though I'd missed the point that if you kick off it's almost impossible for the other side to stop you getting an own goal. And then it's your kick-off again. etc.

Bit like life really. It's very hard to stop some people and organisations scoring own goals!

john clarke

Bit like life really. It's very hard to stop some people and organisations scoring own goals!

Yep, I had a bit of a chuckle last night winding my VERY CofE mate up about the recent spate of sham marrages..... :D:D:D

In fairness, though he reckons that it's not uncommon for the curch to be approached about such things but was able to give several reasons why the requests usually fail - unless they happen to find a bent vicar.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.