Chairs for an old guy?

Aquaholic

Hi guys.

I'm just getting the flavour again after not doing much for a few years.

I've decided to get a sensible chair and maybe a bed chair for overnighters. I'm completely green when it comes to this modern stuff so I need some help choosing one. I'm not a Carp fisherman and defo not a tackle tart but I want the job done for the best price for something that will last.

Questions;

Can you actually use a bed chair as a chair? I've not seen any pics of any in the "chair" position.

Is it worth looking for an eight leg rather than a six leg for occasional use?

As for the chair, I have a back problem that kicks in if my bum is lower than my knees so would like a decent height to it. Would also like armrests if possible provided the back can still recline. It has to recline because these days, if I stay still for about ten minutes I'm likely to go out like a light and fall off the bloody thing.

So over to you guys. Which ones do I go for? I've looked at loads but have no idea about quality etc and I've found that most of the descriptions leave a lot to be desired.

Please help me out peeps. Any advice will be appreciated.

Paul

Hi, there are two chairs I would have a serious look at... Firstly, the Korum deluxe accesory chair this is a well padded high back chair which sits on square tube vertical legs and to which you can attach all manner of things like a side table, rod supports, baitbowl, optional removable arms and even a wheel kit to turn it into a tackle barrow for carrying all your kit to the peg. Its a sturdy well-made piece of kit and you need never bend down to reach your rod or bait again with one of these, its all to hand. The legs lock into place by engaging a clip-up bar underneath easily done and no chance of it all collapsing on you. You can get a set of longer legs from your local tackle shop I got mine from Leigh tackle and bait (leigh-lancs) which gives you a bit of extra height. All the preston on-box range of accessories will fit with the right adaptor. You won't find a more comfortable chair than this unless you're horizontal.

The second is a nash daddy long legs chair which is a basic style chair - no accessory features but does come with built-in arms and is rigid if a little heavy to lug around. The model I had didn't have lockable legs but was easy to get in and out of.

Hope this helps to narrow down the choice a bit.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

With the vast majority of chairs and bedchairs now being manufactured in China, you can can pay an awfull lot extra for the brand name. I too have been looking around in recent times for similar reasons to yourself and the Kashkym range from Ultimate has got some good reviews,

see link below

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/prodtype....ecordPosition=1

They have a couple of stockists in Wickford Angling http://www.wickfordangling.co.uk/

and Climax http://www.climaxtackle.com/

I bought a bedchair from e-bay which is excellent for the monry but may be a bit low. Ideal for under a brolly though. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARP-COARSE-FISHING-...=item29ff10ee40

Trust this helps

I'd concur with Snotty, although the chair I have is the standard Korum accessory chair, not the padded version, but I find it very comfortable, even for overnight sessions.

The range of accessories (including arms) is excellent and it's a well built sturdy piece of kit. Unfortunately though, it doesn't recline. I have all the extras, such as side table, bait boxes, brolly arm etc and it really makes for a comfortable day fishing, with everything readily to hand.

Janet

Thanks for the replies guys. Timely too. My finger was getting twitchy on a daddy longlegs thats just about to finish on Ebay.

The Korum looks good but when you add on for the arms and the legs etc it was too dear. I'm liking the look of that Kashkym XL armchair Tinca. I think I'll call them on Monday to see if I can get a deal on a chair and a bed.

I'm not even looking at a bivvy. I've just bought a handy tent from Argos and I think it's great. Bought it for archery as well as fishing and I love it. Can pole out the door or roll it up and you can stand up in it. Maybe not as robust as some but it'll do for me for occasional use.

Paul

With the vast majority of chairs and bedchairs now being manufactured in China, you can can pay an awfull lot extra for the brand name. I too have been looking around in recent times for similar reasons to yourself and the Kashkym range from Ultimate has got some good reviews,

see link below

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/prodtype....ecordPosition=1

An update.

Spoke to a guy at Ultimate (who turned out to be the MD)

After confirming that the XL comfort chair was just what I was looking for;

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/product.a...86&P_ID=556

I asked for a bedchair recommend and although he could have pointed me at more expensive beds, he told me to go with;

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/product.a...86&P_ID=134

I had some money in my PayPal account and although they don't take PayPal, they do sell on Ebay. He told me to buy from there and he would adjust the postage.

In their Ebay shop I also bought a trolley;

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/product.a...49&P_ID=318

They adjusted the price to £138 all in. Just £10 postage.

Haven't received them yet but that's excellent customer service. Can't wait to get my arse in that armchair on the bankside :D

Paul

Chair, bed and trolley arrived this morning. All looks good. Well done Ultimate.

I hasten to add that I have no connection to Ultimate in any way. I just believe in credit where it's due. We're quick to slag off companies when they cock up (and so we should). It's only fair that we speak up when we're happy.

Can't wait to try it all out now.

Paul

• 1 year later...
I'd concur with Snotty, although the chair I have is the standard Korum accessory chair, not the padded version, but I find it very comfortable, even for overnight sessions.

The range of accessories (including arms) is excellent and it's a well built sturdy piece of kit. Unfortunately though, it doesn't recline. I have all the extras, such as side table, bait boxes, brolly arm etc and it really makes for a comfortable day fishing, with everything readily to hand.

Janet

hi janet in one of your blogs you said you had extra long legs on your korum chair can you buy these seprate best wishes lewie

This is how it should be done a straight forward link from somebody who knows about having a back problem and giving advice out straight away and help to a newbie and the newbie taking it up and finding out it was great advice.

Well done to Tinc Tinca and Snotty and Aquaholic :thumbs:

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon