Most abundant coarse fish?

arbocop

What is the most abundant coarse fish in the UK? Or to be more accurate, which is the most abundant freshwater fish in the UK?

My first thought was that it would be the smallest fish like minnow or bleak, but even though they are in large numbers, they inhabit quite specific habitats. I then thought of the roach, but then pondered whether it may actually be carp because of all the commercial fisheries.

However, I've come to the conclusion that it could be brown trout. Think of all those rivers, streams, becks, burns, lakes, lochs and estuaries it inhabits, from Cornwall up to Orkney. All those bits of water in the flow country and the North of Scotland. Most of these remote lochs only have trout and pike, maybe sea trout, char and salmon in a few. Some have perch as well.

I reckon that there must be millions of trout in the UK.

Any thoughts?

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

What is the most abundant coarse fish in the UK? Or to be more accurate, which is the most abundant freshwater fish in the UK?

My first thought was that it would be the smallest fish like minnow or bleak, but even though they are in large numbers, they inhabit quite specific habitats. I then thought of the roach, but then pondered whether it may actually be carp because of all the commercial fisheries.

However, I've come to the conclusion that it could be brown trout. Think of all those rivers, streams, becks, burns, lakes, lochs and estuaries it inhabits, from Cornwall up to Orkney. All those bits of water in the flow country and the North of Scotland. Most of these remote lochs only have trout and pike, maybe sea trout, char and salmon in a few. Some have perch as well.

I reckon that there must be millions of trout in the UK.

Any thoughts?

That you're most likely to catch. Undoubtedly Carp, and definitely in terms of weight! :D

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Against brown trout, I would say:

* In many rivers, their distribution is limited by water quality to the upper reaches, where the river is smaller

* They are a territorial fish, not a shoaling fish

* Trout require low nutrient levels to thrive, which means lower productivity, which tends to mean a lower total biomass of fish - habitat suitable for trout will not support as many fish per acre as habitat suitable for carp

* Where trout are artificially stocked, they tend to be stocked at lower densities than where coarse fish are artificially stocked

There are several ways of looking at it, though - most numerous, most total weight, most ubiquitous. If we were considering which fish is present in the greatest area of water, then I suspect the perch would be in with a shout, having almost as great a representation as brown trout in the clean, upland waters and being present all the way to the sea in the lowland rivers.

There are several ways of looking at it, though - most numerous, most total weight, most ubiquitous.

Solely on abundance - numbers of a species. I agree that perch are everywhere too. I still think it's brownies!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Most numerous? My guess is roach, though maybe bleak. Roach go where bleak don't, but if there are bleak there's an awful lot of them.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I would still have thought it was the Roach, even in waters that seem packed mainly with Carp there is often a big head of Roach, it's just no one sees them in the muddy water and they don't get caught very often on the large hooks and baits. But I agree that the Perch would be in with a shout, they do seem to be everywhere, but are they in large numbers in a lot of places :unsure:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Most numerous? My guess is roach, though maybe bleak. Roach go where bleak don't, but if there are bleak there's an awful lot of them.

Maybe bleak, but they are only in rivers, and mainly in the south. What about all those lochs, lakes and ponds! I go with roach as a very close second, but then they're not really evident in the rivers and lochs in scotland, and there's an awful lot of water in scotland - but you could be right.

Steve Walker is right in his case against trout.

If its sheer numbers you want, then you would have to consider the minnow in with a shout.

..also, think food pyramids - many minnows are needed to support one larger predator such as perch, trout, chub, jack pike, etc etc etc.

Minnows teem in their thousands/millions in many rivers, from tiny streams (which make up the bulk of running water habitats) well down into the middle reaches of the rivers, and also in the larger lakes and lochs (which by their sheer acreage - even after discounting the very deep areas, must make up a huge proportion of the total still water in the UK) I don't know how far north the minnow ranges, but I have seen them as far north as Loch Clunie - so even if that is the northern limit, the minnow range still includes an awful lot of lochs.

You could probably lose the population of all the carp mudholes in just ONE of the big lochs, or a lake such as Windermere or Coniston, and just about achieve parity (in terms of numbers) with its minnow population.

....and just because minnows are not always obvious and bait-stealing doesn't mean they are not there...

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Steve Walker is right in his case against trout.

If its sheer numbers you want, then you would have to consider the minnow in with a shout.

..also, think food pyramids - many minnows are needed to support one larger predator such as perch, trout, chub, jack pike, etc etc etc.

Minnows teem in their thousands/millions in many rivers, from tiny streams (which make up the bulk of running water habitats) well down into the middle reaches of the rivers, and also in the larger lakes and lochs (which by their sheer acreage - even after discounting the very deep areas, must make up a huge proportion of the total still water in the UK) I don't know how far north the minnow ranges, but I have seen them as far north as Loch Clunie - so even if that is the northern limit, the minnow range still includes an awful lot of lochs.

....and just because minnows are not always obvious and bait-stealing doesn't mean they are not there...

Fair points, possibly minnows then. Mainly flowing water though, but I take your point. As regards the food pyramid though, not all trout are mature. Trout predate upon trout in many cases. I'm still sticking with brownies, but perhaps minnows are now second. Any more offers?

I like this thread!