Photo Comp June and July

Steve Randles

June and July will be the last months in its present format, hosted and maintained by myself. My time requirements are rapidly changing and I need to reorganise my own life.

At the end of July it will be 18 months of comps and I will leave the gallery active and untouched untill the end of August 2010. If you have photos uploaded on the competition space that you would like to keep I advise you go and grab a copy of it before the end of August. And I remind people that grabbing any photo is not allowed if it is not your own work, you could always ask the photos owner if you can have a copy...most photographers are more than happy to let you have one. On the first of September, the whole gallery will be deleted and will cease to exist, I will also delete all backups of the gallery I hold so that I do not hold anywhere either on my pc or backed up...any photo's that belong to members here.

If general opinion here is to continue competitions I am more than willing to provide the current software used in the gallery and the code I have written to facilitate its running and posting to anyone who has the hosting space to do it. You would need FTP access to upload the files and an sql database..if you have these...you will know what they are and that you have them. PM me for this.

You may decide to go back to how we first started and just use forum postings for comps, discuss it amongst yourselves.

I'm sorry I can no longer run this for you, if I can help further...please shout.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

It's a sad day Steve...the AN photo monthly photo comp was the reason I bought my first proper digital camera, shortly followed by my DSLR.

Many thanks for all your help, both here and on Focal Planet. I'd still be floundering like a fish out of water without all the help I've had.

Unless someone steps up to host it, then I guess it's bye-bye to the Anglers Net monthly photography competition? I'd love to do it, but I simply don't have the time or the expertise. Steve gave me the destructions for posting the results each month when he was too busy, but apart from that, I haven't got a clue!

What do you say guys? Is there anyone who can host it in its current form? Or do we go back to the original format, with photo's being posted on here and then a vote - or do we just let it go?

Janet

Sorry to hear that Steve, you have been a big help to the members on this forum with good advice and help and direction when we have asked for it.

Thank you for the time and effort you have put in.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Says it all really, doesn't it? Only two replies...

Janet

No Janet I don't think it does. Yes the forum has been quiet, but we're not all able visit every day.

I personally don't see why we can't go back to simples and just post Images here directly ? It worked before Steve very kindly hosted it and it can no doubt work again. I don't know the details but last I checked entries weren't great - but most of us take the camera on holidays and days out so entries will fluctuate.

Rob

Edited by RobStubbs

Yes just posting on a topic was how I initially started the comps or challenges as they where back then when I asked Elton for a Photo area, I then handed this over to Mr Wiggly as my life had changed. After Mr Wiggly sadly passed away I came back and sorted out an easier way to manage the comps as posting in topics is all that is required for members who enter, for the person collating the results it involved far more work.

With the gallery I have currently in use there is little work to be done at all, for example to post the results page is simply copy and paste from the gallery to a post here...it does not get any simpler than that.

I know there has been some discussion in the past about themed challenges (and it was rejected I believe) as it was when I first instgated them...there is no doubt to my mind that back then we had more entries than we currently do...it might be something for you all to reconsider for August onwards....challenge yourselves ;)

I'll still be popping in and out of here as I'm able to or as our health dictates, I just cannot reliably run the comps any more so wish you all luck with whatever you decide to do.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Yes just posting on a topic was how I initially started the comps or challenges as they where back then when I asked Elton for a Photo area, I then handed this over to Mr Wiggly as my life had changed. After Mr Wiggly sadly passed away I came back and sorted out an easier way to manage the comps as posting in topics is all that is required for members who enter, for the person collating the results it involved far more work.

With the gallery I have currently in use there is little work to be done at all, for example to post the results page is simply copy and paste from the gallery to a post here...it does not get any simpler than that.

I know there has been some discussion in the past about themed challenges (and it was rejected I believe) as it was when I first instgated them...there is no doubt to my mind that back then we had more entries than we currently do...it might be something for you all to reconsider for August onwards....challenge yourselves ;)

I'll still be popping in and out of here as I'm able to or as our health dictates, I just cannot reliably run the comps any more so wish you all luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mate, many thanks for keeping the photo comps going as long as you have done. I, for one, really appreciate your efforts and I'm sure that goes for all the others who have posted a photo in this monthly 'do'.

All the best for your other interests.

Cheers, Bobj.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

A big thanks for all the work you have put into this forum over the years Steve :clap2: :clap2: Also from a personal point of view thank you for all the help and encouragement you have given me in my digital journey. I wish you well for the future Steve,you are a good man. :thumbs:

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy