hunting

coxie

barblesss:

Banning livebait in the lake district? How the hell is that going to damage the ECONOMY? It aint fool.

Fishing is a money generating INDUSTRY. Governments love it... The modern world is money and power.

Didn't the Miners have that same attitude with the Conservative government?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbless, isn't fishing "a pathetic old fashioned pastime" in the eyes of most people?

Indeed are we not relying on that attitude to keep us safe?

Join the CA and join the march,it won't make you a bad person!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The whole point of starting this thread way back when was as a warning, having just heard that the government were going to ignore the rcommendations of the House of Lords and go for a complete hunting ban.

I seem to remember, right at the very beginning when the League Against Cruel Sports first came into being, the government of the day assuring fox-hunters that their sport was legal and that they were free to continue doing it.

Things change don't they. People like Barbless are so certain that our vast numbers and the huge amounts of money generated by us will keep us safe. I hear people talk of 4 million anglers. How come the income from rod licences is only £9 million (taken from EA web site) , that's 450,000 licences? If people can't be bothered to buy a licence they sure won't be bothered to fight for their sport.

I agree with Lee(TrentBarbeler). By the time they get round to banning fishing, and they will try, we will be alone.

Barbless, I neither "hunt" or stand for "hunting" but I certainly don't know that fishing will never be banned. Oh, and try telling the people who will be losing their jobs and livelihoods when hunting goes that fox-hunting is not an industry!

[ 30 July 2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: coxie ]

what a great thread.

as someone who had a head to head battle with the anti's few years ago, i reckon i'm pretty well placed to comment.

since the campaign i was involved with, i've described angling's position as thus (i'll tell it the way i'm sure all will understand, in story form)I'm sorry if it's a little long.

once upon a time, there were three million anglers. each angler, decided to build a monument to the sport they loved, so each one supplied a brick. three million bricks were then gathered together and someone said "lets build a tower".

this was agreed and all the bricks were piled up. as it was happening, someone said "how are we going to stick all the bricks together?". someone else piped up and said "ah, can't you see, there are so many bricks, the tower will be so tall that it'll hold itself up". well not everybody agreed with this, but the tower went up anyway.

when it was built, the anglers stood back to admire their work. just then, someone else came over and said "take that tower down!". the anglers then said,"no way, there are three million of us and only one of you".

so feeling a bit peeved, the anti angler went up and started pushing the tower. the anglers watched and said "ha ha, he'll never push that over, it's too tall". they then carried on watching. the anti kept on pushing and guess what? the tower came crashing down.

moral? well, if you can't spot it, then i'll explain. if all of the anglers had listened to the people who wanted to stick the bricks together, it wouldn't have been pushed over!

for many years, there have been people who have tried to get anglers together. they have received little or no support from the people they are trying to help (i.e litter, general rule breaking and ignorance). now, as we see angling threatened, a lot of them are wondering what to do.!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk,

I didn't make myself very clear. Good post....and I agree with all you other guys here... complacency is ignorant, in any area.

My problem is not the anglers who worry about our sport, but the 'Hunting fraternity' who try to use us, and mingle in with us. They say we should join forcesband together. BS! This will weaken us considerably and I really hope you anglers can understand this...

The vast majority of the English public show a vast likening to fluffy little rabbits, foxes (or whatever) than smelly fish that swim around in dirty ponds.

Get me?

In my opinion,we MUST NOT join/stand with the Hunting packs!

trent.barbeler:

Anyway. The general public like anglers. That same public that saw nothing wrong with foxhunting until the anti-publicity machine spent a few of its donated dollars.

A few years ago there was pressure to ban shark fishing off Cornwall.

The people behind that one are still there.

Now how many anglers have caught a shark? Not all 6 million! Only a MINORITY!! A bit like the BIG GAME fishermen!! Only a MINORITY!!

THINK ON

Got to get to work now BYEEEEE!

Jim Roper

http://www.march-info.org

http://www.thisisdorset.net

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net