mother board

Off line for the time being, my desk top packard bell, that is less than two years old has blown the mother board. When i bought it from p c world it wasn't one of the cheapest. However when i took it back yesterday paid 70 quid for them to tell me it's knackerd. Asked them for the cost of the repair, replacing the motherboard and the reply is that it would be uneconomic. Asked them what about the cost of the new board, dunno was the reply. The next problem if you can get hold of a board to suit is to get the rest of the machine to work with the new board. Too new to throw it away. What do i need to do.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Ebay!! It is the only place you MAY find one as the board will be specific to PB!! But sorry to say mate they are (I too found out the HARD WAY!) a pile of doggie do!!! £70 to tll you it is DUFF??? Add ROBBING bastads to the mix as well!!!

But yes try ebay OR get a new PC and DON'T buy anything from PC WORLD!!! I could give you a list as long as my ruddy arm of other SATISFIED customers!!!

PS PM on it's way!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

many thanks for the reply Chris. I'm ok for getting online as i'm using me boys laptop.Found out that packard bell has been taken over by acer. Trying to find out if the mother board is unique to the machine. I have phone numbers to try today to see if i can locate one.

The machine previous to the one in question i had built, it allways appeared that it needed something or other doing to it, so the guy who built it was allways sorting it out. Thats why i went for a 'off the shelf' one.

Speaking to a software mate of mine he suggests that if it was a dell, then the spares are 'off the shelf'. Lessons learned.If i have to go for a new machine it will mean that i need to get all me old stuff back, so i will try to get it repaired. Gawed, it's nearly ru@@dy new.

Cheers Chris.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Barry,

PC world, enough said and now you know, give these guys a call, if they can not repairs or fix no charge, if they can, but you do not wish to due to the cost a small fee is charged £20.00 I think to cover stripping for fault and re assembling. They are in Sittingbourne.

Good luck.

http://www.computersplus.co.uk/

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi Barry,

PC world, enough said and now you know, give these guys a call, if they can not repairs or fix no charge, if they can, but you do not wish to due to the cost a small fee is charged £20.00 I think to cover stripping for fault and re assembling. They are in Sittingbourne.

Good luck.

http://www.computersplus.co.uk/

Noted with thanks medwaygreen. That will definatly be another option for me. Things have moved on for me today. Spoke to packard bell today, they are based in plymouth. These larger companies must think we are all dorks. They told me today that they will repair it for me if i pay 55 quid upfront. Then they will arrange collection and have a look at it and provide me with a cost, once they have the machine. I advised them that the mother board was at fault and can they give me an idea as to how much. No they need to look at the machine first. Asked them what motherboard is in the machine and can they sell one to me as another option. No they couldn't and they wouldn't post one out in any event as it's too fragile. That made me laugh as it's ok for my machine to be posted. Asked them if i get my local small computer repair center to look at my machine, would they supply a board to them, yes came the reply.

Spoke to my software guy in detail today. His brother who is based in Ireland has spent many years working for dell, fault finding etc and he would love to have my machine over there and repair it for the cost of the material and shipping, because i'm a good mate of his brothers. That is a bit unfair and i would certainly pay him and his brother top doller to get it fixed as they are genuine, unlike the bull you hear from these so called top notch companies, who think we are all idiots.

Anyway, we have managed to find out exactly what board is in this machine without the assistance from these companies who don't really want to help and as the machine is still current the spares are avalible.

So, i now have loads of options to get this repaired as opposed to throw away a few hundred pounds and buy another machine. Watch this space and thanks for your help guys. Smashing.

Edited by barry luxton

I can understand why they won't post you a motherboard. It's probably less to do with fear of what the post office will do to it and more to do with the damage that could occur if you try to assemble it on your dining room table having walked across the Axminster! These things have a zillion transistors on them, any one of which can be fried quicker than you can blink causing the board to fail.

It's a sad, and some would say ridiculous, fact of life but a two year old computer has probably seen its best days. For the price of a repair you can probably get a better spec barebone system.

I can understand why they won't post you a motherboard. It's probably less to do with fear of what the post office will do to it and more to do with the damage that could occur if you try to assemble it on your dining room table having walked across the Axminster! These things have a zillion transistors on them, any one of which can be fried quicker than you can blink causing the board to fail.

It's a sad, and some would say ridiculous, fact of life but a two year old computer has probably seen its best days. For the price of a repair you can probably get a better spec barebone system.

Thats where the rip off comes in. I have a dell guy who whould willingly put it together for a favour in an hour or so, then the board it's self would cost 50 if it was an expensive one.

Seams a bit of a shame that because of the likes of p c world and packard bell desire to rip people off. Now we are speaking to foxconn direct to see if they can supply the origional board or a newer version. I certainly ain't paying out 700 plus for a new computer that has seen less than two years work. Apart from going to a touch screen one, my quad core is still current. Amazing lack of aftercare or greed.

Following on from my last post, foxconn who makes the boards gave me the contact of the distributor, who checked and sorted out exactly what i need for replacement. The director of the company spent quite some time with me on the telephone, researched my computer's mother board and told me that there is a few that will fit straight in, at worse a change in memory may be required. He told me details of a few different manufacturers of the board that will suffice without any problems. The expected cost of the new board will be around 50 quid, why do the likes of pc world, who said it was uneconomic and packard bell offer such horrible after sales service. Checked me origional purchace invoice, it was 16 months old.

Past it's sell by date?

Edited by barry luxton

Folowing on from my last post, foxconn who makes the boards gave me the contact of the disdributer, who checked and sorted out exactly what i need for replacement. The director of the company spent quite some time with me on the telephone, researched my computer's mother board and told me that there is a few that will fit straight in, at worse a change in memory may be required. He told me details of a few different manufacturers of the board that will suffice without any problems. The expected cost of the new board will be around 50 quid, why do the likes of pc world, who said it was uneconomic and packard bell offer such horrible after sales service. Checked me origional purchace invoice, it was 16 months old.

Past it's sell by date?

certain mobo's come with an independant warranty for repair/replacement - ask about an RTB for the board.

My board started acting up after 22 months so did an RTB to Gigabyte UK, cost me a tenner they found the VGA socket was at fault repaired and returned within 48 hrs, been rock solid ever since.

As the others have said stay well away from PC world, messing with the insides of a Pc is straight forward just as long as you dont go at it like a bull in a china shop and always earth yourself out [ buy a wrist strap]. If doing it yourself when puting the processor back in make sure you use a good quality paste.

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Wouldn't it be good if we could let ALL the customers who shop in PC world JUST how badly they are treat by the staff and company?? At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))