Wireless GF Bite Alarms

GF Bite Alarms

Thanks for the replies.

Like I have said I am absolutely going to get it as low as possible on price if it can be £100 for 3 head units and receiver it will be, if less it will be. Alot will become clearer on costings in the next few weeks when design is finalised.

I want to still offer the absolute best value for money that I can, I will never compete with Chinese made units which just don't last.

Please rest assured the units will be as cheap and as good as I can possibly make them, then I suppose it is upto the customer to decide which way he/she wants to go.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil

It will be worth while working on a 4 head set up as far as price and 4 way recievers go as a lot of pikers, myself being one, use a 4 rod set up when deadbaiting, so if the option for a 4 head set was there it will get you more sales if pikers are looking for a new set of remotes

Diawa's Sundridge range have recognised this and do a 3 and a 4 head set version

Edited by Brian Carragher

On BTW Phil I wasn't totally taking the pi$$ when I said about looking into a proper Real Tree finish (as opposed to a cheap camo) Look at the crazy prices the now no longer made range of Fox "limited edition" gear sells second hand for compared to the standard finish models.

I never really looked at the original plug in drop back indicator for the GF system.However be advised that mercury tilt switch activated systems aren't that popular with pikers,basically down to the simple fact that a lot of recognised pikers have played with these switches when making/modifying their own alarms and voiced their lack of confidence in them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Brian,

The receiver is designed to take upto 4 head units, as a Pike fisherman is having the drop off function a useful addition?

Phil

It certainly would be for me.

If you do hope to sell them with a drop-off indicator or pike fishing the line clip would need to be braid friendly. Despite owning some, I've never used the GF bobbins but I don't think the line clips would be of any use with braid. Stainless Steel Ball Clips, PTFE coated clips or even better, a linegate would be useful, as well as alot more weight at the bobbin head as standard.

I've experienced problems with the small line wheel when fishing with braid recently. I've tried putting an o-ring on the wheel to increase its diameter and add a bit more friction but to no avail. Back to baitrunner function when on the river with the butt ring tight up against the alarm and it works a treat.

The small line wheel works better with my Stren Sonic braid than it does with the standard pike fare of Power Pro braid. Don't know if it's the waxy coating on the PP as my braid is newly spooled this season.

Good luck with the venture.

Seems a bit high to be competitive (GF's biggest selling point in the past) to me Phil. Would cutting the range down help cut the price at all? 100m sinply aint necessary.

I'm with BUDGIE on this one i reckon at the most range should be 30 to 50 feet ,

anyone more 30 feet from there rods could and should be prosecuted by the EA ,

100 metres is excessive your average angler would take approximately 25 seconds to run this distance

which may result in a lost opportunity/dropped run or if piking a very deep hooked pike.

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I'm with BUDGIE on this one i reckon at the most range should be 30 to 50 feet ,

anyone more 30 feet from there rods could and should be prosecuted by the EA ,

100 metres is excessive your average angler would take approximately 25 seconds to run this distance

which may result in a lost opportunity/dropped run or if piking a very deep hooked pike.

Thing is just because it works at 100 mtrs doesn't mean you need to go that far from your rods. To me it just means your gonna get a stronger signal at closer range.

I shall certainly watch the development of this with great interest and I personally do not think that the price is over the top for a reliable set of alarms when a receiver and set of dongles can cost around £200 and a dam site more when you drop a couple of dongles in the lake like I managed to do last summer.I would still require a bigger dia wheel though to ensure line contact when fishing the rods high.

Phil, will the receivers exactly match the alarms? In other words one bleep on the alarm = one on the receiver?

Will the receivers have different colour lights as at present?

Will there be a facility to vary the brightness?

Will there be a visible on/off indication as Wyeknot asked about?

Cheers

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi Brian,

The receiver is designed to take upto 4 head units, as a Pike fisherman is having the drop off function a useful addition?

Phil

It would be nice to have alarms that differed between forward runs and dropbacks but its not really essential. I always use Fox drop offs anyway so regardless of the sound I always react and just by looking I can tell the difference between a dropback and a full blooded run and having used alarms in the past that offered the distinction between the two I don't think its inclusion into an alarm system would make that much difference

I would prefer though to have a strong signal strength capable of making 100 yards instead of anything shorter purely for the strength of signal it emits, many of the places I stick a rod on the river bank are in pretty arkward places, behind trees and not in direct line of sight or at the bottom of steep bankss or sometimes a combination of both with dense undergrowth thrown in and they tend to kill the signal a fair bit especially hidden behind trees or at the bottom of steep banks so I think a stronger signal output would be of benefit to most pikers and anglers

I like Steves suggestions for different coloured reciever lights that correspond to the alarms as I've got those on a system I use now and they're very good for night time identification where you can go straight to the rod with a fish on or even day time use when sat under a brolly when its hissing it down and your're not looking at the rods all the time but a reciever in front of you and co ordinated light systems mean that you know instantly which rod to attend to

Interested in this one as I nearly bought another set of alarms prior to this topic starting and have looked seriously at the ATT add ons but if a British manufacturer can make a British product that employs British workers then that should be a product thats worth endorsing