So how id you get on...first day of the season?

Kevin Massey

Drennan super spades it was! I generally use 14's where barbs are expected, mind you, chub can pull hard too. I just dropped down one size as I was missing dace, and I have been after a good dace for a while. It was notable that the chub pulled less hard than they did at the back end of the season.

Funny enough I changed hook size stepping up from 14's to 12's in an attempt to put on a bit more pressure but I pulled out of two barb's in succession as soon as I did. Maybe they just weren't very well hooked as I didn't put on as much pressure as I did with the 14's.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to change the subject, I'm off tomorrow for a stroll and a quick bash on a new syndicate water. 3/4 mile of game and coarse water with six members!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Just to change the subject, I'm off tomorrow for a stroll and a quick bash on a new syndicate water. 3/4 mile of game and coarse water with six members!

Can you not take a guest ;)

First trip out for me yesterday and the glorious Kennet was my port of call.Unfortunately the Barbel did not come out to play for me or for any of the other anglers i spoke to but the ever reliable Chub saved a blank and a brace of four pounders was a nice way to kick off the river season for me.

Thinking back to past seasons the first two weeks has always been a struggle where barbel are concerned...i never learn :rolleyes:

First trip out for me yesterday and the glorious Kennet was my port of call.Unfortunately the Barbel did not come out to play for me or for any of the other anglers i spoke to but the ever reliable Chub saved a blank and a brace of four pounders was a nice way to kick off the river season for me.

Thinking back to past seasons the first two weeks has always been a struggle where barbel are concerned...i never learn :rolleyes:

I was on the river Medway here on the Kent and Sussex border last night where I had just caught a Barbel when I got a call from a mate from Berkshire. He reported that the barbel on the Upper Benyons (Kennet) were still full on spawning and he had so far not had a take this season. The fish I caught was completely spawned out and fighting fit.

Spent a few days on the w.avon. Mainly lure fishing but also got the float rod out & managed this nice surprise put up a great scrap too. :)

3lb 12oz

Tench3lb12ozJune2010.jpg

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I went fishing for Barbel on my local stream for the first time this season on Friday evening and although you could see them flashing on the bottom they were not interested in taking my bait, I think they were still in spawning mode.

I did have a very small one of around 3 to 4lb just before 10pm and the Chub were feeding well with a couple around the 2lb to 3lb mark but because I used a hair in an attempt to deter the chub from being hooked most Chub bites never developed and just swang the rod tip round as they darted off with the bait still in their lips.

It will hopefully be better for Barbel when I come back from my hols in a fortnights time.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)