Blame Wordbender for what I am about to inflict.

Rustam Bana

http://www.summerlands.co.uk/Shimano_Exage_Rods.htm

Thank you, Vagabond.

Just a couple of questions....

1) Is there any possibility of the sections turning in either a take-apart or telescoping Exage?

2) What would be the better of the two types of Exage and why?

Rustam

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Poor old Terry gets blamed for everything..."

Well...he isn't THAT bad. Almost tolerable at times. :rolleyes:

"those Mahaseer beasties look prime candidates for a multiplier reel set up, especially if you need an uptide type of rod."

Just to clarify...an Uptide type rod isn't really necessary. From what I am told, an appropriate carp rod would also do the job. Also, I'm given to understand that multiplier reels need a little finesse and are not for the neophyte. What is your take on that?

"Nice to see you on A.N Rustam, welcome."

Thank you.

Rustam

the exage multi section spinning rods are awesome, and great value for money. not sure they do one for multipliers though

jeepster:

the exage multi section spinning rods are awesome, and great value for money.

Thanks for the opinion. They are getting more tempting by the minute.

Does anyone have a contrary view on these?

Rustam

I've got the 20lb Exage trolling rod (multi-piece) and it will handle just about anything that swims if you balance the tackle and you are fishing from a boat. It is set up to take a multiplier reel and something like the Shimano TDL 20 would be ideal.

Rustam, it has handled Bull Dorado to 40lbs no problem so I imagine it will cope with similar sized Mahseer in the flow. The thing is I would not recommend it for fishing from the bank.

I have heard the heavy duty Exage and Beastmaster Spinning rods are very capable pieces of kit as is the 3lb test curve specimen rod, (though I personally use the 3.25lb Fox tourist rod which has even more beef).

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Go for multipiece, not telescopic.

Tele rods, by their very nature have even-spaced rings. This means the second ring is too far from the tip. Bad for casting, and not good for playing a fish either.

When I used tele rods I used to tape a spare ring about 4 to 5 inches from the tip whilst fishing. Fail to do this, and the line often wraps round the tip on the cast. It means you have to take the ring off again when folding the rod up.

As soon as decent multi-pieces became available, I abandoned teles for ever!

I have had no trouble at all with joints twisting on my Exage rods.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I go along with Vagabond on this I got rid of all my tele-rods once the quality multipieces became available.

Unlike him I have occasionally had problems with the joints twisting when playing a fish, even on the exage. I think you have to ensure accurate alignment and a firm fit of the joints in the first instance to alleviate the problem, something I do not always do in the excitement of tackling up.

[ 01. July 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I would be grateful if you could clarify some points.

1)When you say, "It will handle just about.....if you balance the tackle and you are fishing from a boat", what do you mean by 'balance the tackle' and why the emphasis on fishing from a boat?

2) You mentioned a 20lb Exage trolling. How does one measure the poundage of a rod and how is a trolling rod different from a spinning rod?

3) Why would you not recommend it for fishing from a bank?

4) How does one determine a heavy duty rod. Is it by the 'Test Curve' or 'Action' mentioned against them? Would a Test Curve of 2.75 and more be considered 'heavy duty'?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm feel like a fish out of water (pardon the pun :D ) at the moment.

Thanks.

Rustam

Tony U:

you have to ensure accurate alignment and a firm fit of the joints in the first instance to alleviate the problem

...and if you are casting frequently, as in spinning or fly-fishing, it pays to check alignment and firm fit every couple of hours. Joints can work loose on any rod. Neglect this, and keep casting, and WHOOSH ! there's part of the rod in the water.

It can happen to us all.......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...