Sonar Fish finders

Comus

Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying one of these sonar fish finders, a hummingbird or similar.

I seem to recall that there was some kind of legal issue surrounding their use but can't remember what it was.

Does anyone know?

Comus

The only legal issue I can remember is with a unit whose remote sensor used a frequency that is reserved in the UK for other purposes and the problem only arose if you bought the US version. The UK version used a different and allowed frequency.

None of the standard units with sensor wired to base unit have the issue.

If you get a Humminbird SmartCast, just be sure it is the UK version.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The only issue i can remember re these things was the number of articles that suddenly appeared on the web re how to adapt them.

Cannot recall all the details but some anglers were doing some "garden shed engineering" to improve the range of the unit.Think it caused a bit of a "hooha" at the time as any tinkering with them invalidated the manufacturers warranty.

As someone who used to sell Humminbird products (I still have an account with them amongst others) I can confirm that both the answers above are correct.

I'd add that the US and UK models have different colour transducers (i.e. floats). The US ones are chartreuse (yellow/green), the UK ones are orange.

Andy, a Smartcast will be very useful for you at Wingham. Don't buy the wrist-mounted one though as it's fiddly to use. If you want portability the rod-mounted option is a better bet. I use the full-size model though as it has a much larger, higher resolution screen and shows more detail and more depth variations.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks Steve,

I'm definitely on the lookout for one. Are the Hummingbirds the best on the performance / value stakes or are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks,

Comus

Are the Hummingbirds the best on the performance / value stakes or are there any cheaper alternatives?

For bank fishing the Humminbird Smartcast is far and away the best alternative.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net