Do fish have a colour preference?

mike1234

i have been wondering how much difference it makes to the fish what colour bait is, i am not talking about lures or artificials

but if something smells, and tastes good does what colour it is really matter?

Or does the whole making things different colours just come from anglers trying to change the colours of baits such as sweetcorn so that the fish dont associate the colours with hookbaits and might try a red grain over a normal yellow as it doesnt associate the colour with danger?

I am much of the opinion that the fish eventually learn to associate things with danger whether that be a certain colour, flavour etc. Most of the baits i use are dull colours or browns so i cant comment too much but im pretty sure if everyone were to use a pink popup the fish would soon learn to leave them alone. Its usually down to the pressure and types of baits used on certain waters i think. Also fish do see some colours better than others such as red in the case of perch and pike and more yellow tones in the case of some other fish. Or so we are told :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It varies from water to water and species to species, but in general I would say that yes, definitely, colour is important - along with everything else ;)

For example, fishing for tench in daylight in clear water, having a visible bait definitely gets you more bites. And I have fished waters before where yellow corn was a waste of time because the fish had learned to steer clear of it.

More often than not, one colour maggot outfishes another when trotting, but that colour changes from session to session. I have no idea why, but it does pay to experiment if you are not getting bites when you think you should be.

I've been catching a lot of fish this year using white pop-up plastic corn, but I don't know if I'd have caught more or less on yellow or pink!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music