Float Fishing For Carp

Elton

Posted on behalf of dd. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hi all,

i fish a lake near me, normally float fishing close to lilies and overhanging trees, i normally use maggots and caster. I always have a good day, catching lots of roach, and the odd nice perch, but after a while it gets just a little tedious and annoying when you see (im estimating) 101b carp rolling on the surface. I would love to catch a carp but the thing is though, i don't really like to ledger, i love the thrill of watching a float go under.So what im asking trying to say is, how can i catch a carp on the float? Im not after a monster, just a 51b carp would be cracking as ive only ever caught roach and perch. What tackle, baits, techniques, depths.....any general advice on float fishing for carp would be appreciated. Thanks very much

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Interesting one this, lots of different options.

Keeping with float fishing, most of your current tackle will/should do the job nicely, however you may want to up thebreaking strain of your mainline, somthing around the 5-6lb mark would be ideal, with hooks to match.

Should your current rod not be up to the task, take a look at some of the carp waggler, power waggler rods avaliable, perfectly suited to fish of this size and quite useful for other tasks too.

Other than that, I cant think of much else to change tackle wise.

Baits, this is the interesting part! you can catch them on pretty much anything. I would be tempted to go for one of two main options.

Stick to baits such as maggots and casters. Constant, regular feeding of these baits will draw carp in make no mistake, and you can create a real feeding frenzy. The important part is to keep the bait going in, imagine a curtain of bait falling through the water. Most bites will come on the drop at this point and can make for hetic fishing....not one for the lazy angler!

Bigger baits such as pellets and meat. These can be used in conjunction with the above approach or on their own. A bigger bait fished on thew bottom can be a great bait and can often pick out a bigger fish. Learning to fish the lift method can be a real advantage here.

Just a thought, as you have seen fish rolling....why not try floating baits? casting at rolling fish or getting them feeding after locating them.

I wont go into location at the moment, since you are seeing fish roll im guessing you arnt too far away!

Many years ago(like 1973) there were things called `bubble floats`-you semi filled them with water and they gave casting range while still presenting the bait fairly near the surface. Not pretty but I used to use them for Rudd with bread flake-and caught a few big ones.

I have no idea if they still exist but the principle could still apply to carp feeding near the top

I'd say keep it as simple as possible. A beefed up float or avon style rod , 5 - 6lb line straight through to a size 8 hook. Simple float rig fished with the bait a couple of inches overdepth and a nice big lump of luncheon meat or a big juicy lobworm. As has been suggested , no need to fish too far out , in fact , if you're real quiet , we could be talking easily less than a rod length out........The simpler the better in my eyes

The carp in my profile pic was caught about 5 feet out from the bank on a free-lined lobworm !!!

Edited by nomadpaul

while fishing for Roach at a lake with a friend recently I used:

13' lathams carbon match rod cost me £20.00

a Mitchell 310 xe cost about £19.99

3lb Maxima line bought on a one shot spool about £6.99

Size 18 Kamasan B911 Barbless on a 1.5lb hook length

The float was a tipped waggler 3BB about £0.99p

Float fishing maggot and bread

Had 10 Carp to 7lb in about 3 hours

nearly ruined my Roach fishing stupid Carp

We were there just to see how a couple of rods worked casting and striking

So don't be kidded or conned or listen to poor anglers idea's you need no more than very basic equipment especially to catch stupid fish like Carp

The most important thing being not to use a line too strong for your rod, it's better to snap a hook length than to snap a rod.

After you have caught a few Carp you will soon realise they need no skill to catch nor special equipment until you start looking towards catching record sized specimens.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

As others have said, you don't need to do anything complicated. You know you're in the right spot. The main thing to do is to try to avoid catching anything but carp - this will mean you catch a lot fewer fish, but hopefully the one you want.

First thing to try is just a bigger bait (big lump of flake, meat, etc.) on a bigger hook (10-6). And don't forget to feed!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As others have said, you don't need to do anything complicated. You know you're in the right spot. The main thing to do is to try to avoid catching anything but carp - this will mean you catch a lot fewer fish, but hopefully the one you want.

First thing to try is just a bigger bait (big lump of flake, meat, etc.) on a bigger hook (10-6). And don't forget to feed!

A larger bait can certainly help and larger baits go hand in hand with larger hooks although I would not personally use a hook bigger than a 12 for Carp up to 10 or 15lb every venue is different and perhaps a word with other anglers fishing the same venue would not go amiss. Find out what bait they are using, what hooks and groundbait.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God