Low water

Anderoo

I went for a wander last night, checking out a couple of local gravel pits I swore I'd never fish again as long as I lived (Richard is helping me stay strong and fight these irrational urges) and a couple of stretches of a Thames tributary.

Maybe it was because of the football, but the pits were deserted, beautiful, and rather inviting. Deep, clear and weedy. And SO close to my house. Oh dear.

Anyway, the main point is the little river. It is already incredibly low. I looked at a few spots I caught chub from on quivertipped cheesepaste during the winter, and they are 4ft+ down on winter levels. In some places the 'river' barely trickles over the gravel. It's a job getting to the water in most places because of the undergrowth, but I found one little pool that was about 2-3ft deep, and spent ages watching a chub of about 3lb as it mooched about it's claustrophobic home. All the fish are cooped up in these little pools.

The Thames is brown and has stopped flowing.

I heard on the radio this morning that unless we get some proper rain soon, hosepipe bans will be enforced (Cumbria is particularly bad apparently).

What's it like where you are? As much as I'm enjoying the warm summer, we really need some rain here in Oxfordshire.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kentish Stour at Sarre looked in near perfect condition when I fished it earlier this week, good depth, flow and ideal colour.

(Although the hot bright sunshine didn't help. Still, I had skimmers, chub, roach and perch on the stick-float, but nothing on the feeder).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The Teme, Lugg and Arrow are all at normal levels. Some recent Welsh rain coloured the Arrow up and consequently the Lugg below the confluence but all are looking good with nice pools and lovely riffles! The Wye looked normal as well on Tuesday morning as we drove over it.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Still haven't got a coarse fishing session in on a river yet this season. I've cycled over the River Ray on the edge of Swindon, and that doesn't look too bad - a bit low, but not terrible. Last time I fly fished, the little Bristol Avon tributary I fish for trout didn't look too low. On the other hand, I spoke to another angler earlier in the week who said he's not fished a river this season yet either because everywhere he fishes is too low.

I was more shocked by the gravel pit I fished for tench - it was at least a foot down on where I expected!

Turns out the club has been pumping water out of it and into the carp puddle :rolleyes:

My local Suffolk Stour is way down in some area's.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Ribble , Hodder , Aire and Wharfe are all in a right mess I have decided to stop fishing on the grounds that the last thing that our fish need at the moment is the pressure from anglers.

I will restart once we have some water in the rivers and the whole thing becomes a sporting option again

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

The upper Medway is looking fine at the moment and fishing perfectly well for me so far. There is an extraordinary amount of colour in the water which obviously helps with catching especially in the bright weather we have had recently. The majority of fish seemed to have spawned also

Ribble , Hodder , Aire and Wharfe are all in a right mess I have decided to stop fishing on the grounds that the last thing that our fish need at the moment is the pressure from anglers.

I will restart once we have some water in the rivers and the whole thing becomes a sporting option again

I think your spot on to do that Alan and I'm going to do the same. :thumbs:

Think i might take the kids carp fishing tomorrow today. :(

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep