EU to ban selling eggs by the dozen

wildcard

I still buy and eat bent bananas..........................

Den

and you can still buy fruit thats forbidden by calling it something else like "fun" size ,basics or some other term to get around the problem.

it shows the jackboot hasnt fully come down on blighty but i promise year by year it will if we dont wake up

whilst a great number of directives are very good we dont need to be members to use them merely copy them to suit us and still be free to do what we want

whilst we talk about directives there is a bit of manoeuvre for individual states the trouble comes with regulations from the EU where there is none and in a conflict arises with individual countries laws the regulation wins

all the time were avoiding directives or mocking their use the regulations in the background are creeping in

http://ec.europa.eu/community_law/introduc...gulation_en.htm

if some unelected EU bureaucrat gets a regulation through banning ginger hair then by EU law every ginger will be arrested ,germany could get a regulation put in making holocaust denial illegal (as they have in germany) if i denied the holocaust then i would be arrested for a crime in british law that doesnt exist perhaps a regulation banning the word Den is being smuggled in :D

remember most of europe is our historical enemy! to take england just for historical reasons is no doubt a high priority for the EU bureaucrats ,how they would smile

even the popes after us since henry has gone

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/interna...n-200909252092/

aside the amusement the pope was / is a nazi so it was just a matter of time

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a stupid story, in a stupid publication.

Stupid it may be, doesn't mean it's not true.

I expect we'll be told it doesn't matter anyway. In fact it does matter. We should have fought decimalization at every step. Our old systems were chosen because they were sensible. Start with 16 of something you can divide it by two three times and still have an integer, i.e. something you can count on your fingers. Start with twelve and you can divide it by two, three or four. Start with ten, you can divide it once and then you are into nonsensical decimal numbers!

Ask any kid to hold their fingers 30cm apart. Ask your granddad to hold his a foot apart. My money is on granddad getting closer.

Stupid it may be, doesn't mean it's not true.

I expect we'll be told it doesn't matter anyway. In fact it does matter. We should have fought decimalization at every step. Our old systems were chosen because they were sensible. Start with 16 of something you can divide it by two three times and still have an integer, i.e. something you can count on your fingers. Start with twelve and you can divide it by two, three or four. Start with ten, you can divide it once and then you are into nonsensical decimal numbers!

Ask any kid to hold their fingers 30cm apart. Ask your granddad to hold his a foot apart. My money is on granddad getting closer.

If you mean decimalisation of our currency and imperial weights and measures then I don't understand your post at all. I thought you didn't like nasty European stuff Colin? The old LSD money system was French, a hangover from the days of Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire. The French saw the light and abandoned the system during the Revolution. Imperial units of weight (lbs and ounces) is as French as you can get, in France it was called Avoirdupois. The French abandoned it in the Napoleonic era. I can remember great swathes of my primary schooling being wasted just learning to deal with a 1200 year old monetary system. When I tell my kids how we used to count money they laugh at the idea.

12 may be a nice number to factorise, but that in itself is not a good argument for adopting the duodecimal system of counting. I hate to try and do ANY kind of physics with number systems other than base 10, for example.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i tend to use metric when i get to less than half an inch! when i made boards (pcb's) it was easier to use parts of a millimetre than teach students from all over the world thousands of an inch etc .

its a handy system for small measurements but say 120mm and the tape comes out to see what it is in real measurements :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i tend to use metric when i get to less than half an inch! when i made boards (pcb's) it was easier to use parts of a millimetre than teach students from all over the world thousands of an inch etc .

its a handy system for small measurements but say 120mm and the tape comes out to see what it is in real measurements :D

I'm a bit like that myself. I have a friend, we have been mates since I don't know when and he was a dyed in the wool Imperialist, until he emigrated to the south of France. Now he is a dedicated proponent of the decimal system.

One thing I fail to understand is why there are still some who cling to a system that we stopped using 38 years ago.:rolleyes:

Stick in the muds and Luddites the lot of them.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

now number is a pretty obscure method of labelling a product unless the contents are 100% identical (such as drinking glasses) so in the case of eggs weight will become the prominent indicator ,saying "six large eggs" is a bit shakey ,good enough for you or me but not for our EU fuhrers ,what is large to fred could be medium to harry therefore the EU directive and its weight will no doubt be implemented (with ofcourse the number hidden somewhere to show were standing up to these idiots) .

some poo pood the bent banana directive until i discovered it and posted it proving just because it does get a headline in a crap newspaper does not mean it isnt true ;) directive differ from implementing them the more we get into europe the less we can not implement so the day will come!

the gov shake their heads and say its europes fault then put the directive in place but ofcourse it tends to be just us the frogs just ignore anything they dont like so dont blame europe our gov is just as much to blame ass licking those rsoles

This is not quite true chesters. There are already standard sizes for eggs. http://www.theranger.co.uk/eggsizes.asp

There have always been food standards, long before we joined the EU. I can remember when I was as a child potatoes being riddled to grade them by size. Apples have been graded by diameter since the year dot. Cucumbers and bananas are classed by how straight they are all over the world.

But the great British unwashed delight in the argument from ignorance, you know the one that starts "I can't see why"

Edited by corydoras

they are just approximates and thus no good under the Germanic hierarchy that rules us ,you could have a box of large small eggs that weigh pretty well the same as small medium eggs hows that a size?.

trouble is when the weight is shown per box you can bet the heaviest go first with many breakages finding the box displeasing the retailer no end

at one time even calor gas had the weights chalked on the side you can guess which sold first'

theres good rules and bad ones and 6 small eggs pretty much all you need to know.

as i said to Den sizes are irrelevant the directive says somewhere that the apples must be of similar size colour and ripeness but simply putting the word fun lets you sell undersized apples ,eat and store gets you unripe and ripe pears for instance and the magic word "basics" (in the case of sainsburies) gets you every size and ripeness going in a bag.

as i said directives are guides but the EU can force any one to do anything with regulations

i still cling to 38 year old things saying in a loud voice that a bag of crisps is near on ten bob puts pricing in real terms ,it doesnt matter that probably that ten bob is less cost in real terms than it was all those years ago but it still reminds you how much were being ripped off today ,ten bob for a bag of fooking crisps :o i'v heard haircuts are more than 2 and 6 now :angry:

ps i cant see mr farmer selling 6 100grm eggs for the price of very large can you ;) you cant mix volume with weight it just wont work as theres eggs and eggs i'v eaten some pretty thick eggs over the years and were distinctly heavier than battery ones but smaller different breeds lay different sized eggs under your link chicken "x" eggs cannot exist in some sizes as they lay bigger eggs the under or over method above is a typical bodge selling tiny eggs for more than their worth ,ok selling pidgeon sized eggs to prisons as "small" (and they are that size) but the ordinary buyer will be very upset if they get them but under the standard above perfectly "legal"

the old 6 small eggs is perfectly fine as i say putting weights on the box means trouble

Edited by chesters1

I must admit I don't buy 'large' eggs. Two reasons for this. The first is purely nostalgia, when we were young we had bantams and bantams lay small eggs. The second reason is that nutritionally there is little difference between a large egg and a small one. The large ones just have more water.

French egg size standards are just the same as ours. ttp://www.dgccrf.bercy.gouv.fr/documentation/fiches_pratiques/fiches/etiquetage_oeufs.htm

Edited by corydoras

I'm struggling to picture an egg carton for 5 eggs ;)

thats easy its just a 6 box with one sixth missing

Edited by chesters1