Coarse Fishing.

HERUTILUS

It is true that line clips are really only there to hold the line when the reel is packed away, but clipping up at a specific distance is a very nice 'bonus' function. Some reels have very damaging line clips, others leave no mark at all. Luckily, all the reels I use for this type of fishing have nice solid clips that don't damage the line at all.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reels are OK, but I'm sure that the clip design could be improved upon to make it better for clipping up, and given how widespread the use of the line clip for this is, I'm surprised nobody has done it. I think something more like a little mushroom than a clip would work better in terms of avoiding line damage and releasing the line if pulled from the angle of the bail arm (so that the line would be freed if a fish took line off the spool with the bail arm closed, avoiding the risk of losing fish or rod if you forget to unclip).

I use several different reels, mostly Shimano, but lately Fox, and they all have line friendly clips. That may be down to the fact that I usually use fairly strong line, Even so, I can never remember having trouble with any line clips.

The other point I would make is, line clips are put on reels primarily for clipping up for distance.

If it is of any help, when I cast, I keep the rod point high, and as the line hits the clip, the rod absorbs the jerk. I do this on an almost daily basis with 3 rods and heavy (3,5oz) feeders.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just how I do it Den. I had to show Andy how to do it because I didn't explain it as well as you just did.

Winding the line round the spool and under the clip 5-6 times helps absorb the impact on the line, so you don't damage it.

If you have a sharp line clip, you can jam a little piece of elastic band under it to take the edge off it.

Easy peasy.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

As Den says holding rod up until clip hits and then allowing rod to take the strain is something we do without thinking about it.

The other very good reason for clipping up is when fishing at distance with a cross wind it allows line to fall tight to rod and no slack line wizzs round in a huge bow.

When clip hits sink rod quickly and its much easier to tighten up.

When you get used to using a clip a lot you will very rarely hit it with any amount of force, it seems to train you to cast to the length required.

regards

john

Keep practicing and you will learn how to do it without any mechanical assistance.

It's just practice.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Aye thats true in open water but when you want to plonk a method feeder under a reedy bank, it can be useful.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There is now a reel on the market that has a line clip actually 'designed' for hitting the same distance and actually releases the ine when you start playing a fish. Its been advertised and reviewed in the weeklies in the past couple of weeks.

Here it is - the MAP ACS - auto clip system

http://www.map-fishing.co.uk/reels.html

Edited by nomadpaul