Problem With Reel When Casting

Elton

Posted on behalf of Dave. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hi all, my reel is playing up, when i cast it, the line kind of sticks and falls short of where i want to cast, could you please give me any advice on how to fix this, could it be the muck on the water causing it to do this?

Also i would really appreciate if you can recommend a reliable coarse reel at around £20, could you please send me a link to amazon or ebay if you have one please.

Thanks very much, dave

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Not easily if we don't know what kind of coarse fishing you are doing to surgest a suitable type or sized reel for.

Maybe if you joined the forum and posted a pic (it's free) of your reel, we could sort your problem out and save you buying a new reel.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Just a wild guess but is you spool filled all the way to the top?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

the line kind of sticks and falls short of where i want to cast

i see this as line bedding in ,(the line under cutting itself on the spool) this can be down too low tension when loading the line onto the spool , or simply the reel design & line lay is at fault , it could also be that if backing was required too fill the spool it was too loosly applied .

basically ,too try and sort it out ,you'll need too unload the spool ,then reload it with the line under a bit of tension (ie line passing through a rag or telephone directory ,and through at least one rod eye (this may require some assistance) .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i see this as line bedding in ,(the line under cutting itself on the spool)

My thoughts exactly. Unless there is some kind of dodgy pollution :D it is very likely just a poorly spooled reel. If the line was already on when you bought it this is even more likely. I know some cheap reels come with even cheaper line already on the spool. If you follow chavenders advice it should be ok. If not ensure the reel itself is not at fault.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I agree with the comments about loading the spool under tension but there is another basic mistake that leads to the cast suddenly stopping.

Remember that knot you put it once upon a time?. And if I am the only angler never to have made that error then I fancy I might win the lottery very soon