Carp

tiddlertamer

If you even begin to consider that a "fishery" then I am at a loss to continue. It bears no resemblance to anything I have ever seen, but maybe this is where I lack experience of the modern fishing.

Using that obviously extreme example does your argument no good, but...and a big but...if that is the sort of water you have in your area, then I do feel sory for you all. I have never seen anything like it (except in a park).

Den

Oh dear Den, my post you refer to was an attempt (obviously not a good one) at giving a humorous reply to yours, where you say, "It looks good to me" etc. The similar thing that my neighbour has is a garden pond that is the same shape as the one in the photo. The "resident anglers" are of the garden gnome variety, hence the pointy hat reference.

If you have never seen anything resembling the one in the photo, then you have lead a much more sheltered life than I thought. It is similar to the many mill ponds that are to be found in many towns that used to rely on the cloth industry. These came in several different shapes and sizes, and were the only local 'fisheries' available to many anglers in the mill towns. Some were used as social clubs for workers at the mills, some strictly private. I was chased off a few in my youth by an irate night watchman and his dog. Most of them I knew, held a mixed stock of small to medium size, but threw up the odd surprise large fish. As the mills closed, some were used as ornamental features to complement the apartments that the mill had been converted into. Some fell into disrepair and became dumps, others were leased by clubs as local fisheries, and usually fell into the "fill it up with carp" brigade, but some, not many, were left to develop on their own. the banks became over grown, the fish bred naturally, and they were a pleasure to fish, as well as being small havens for wild life in an urban environment. I had one such water close to me, until it was filled in and a housing estate built in it's place.

As for what I have available to me locally, the nearest, while not the same shape and size as the one in the picture, has the same 'soulless' look about it. When I'm next up there, I will get a photo and post it up for you.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone could start a model boat club and use it

Too small for boats, great for model submarines though. Stand there with radio in hand an nobody would ever know that you're not controlling anything.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back