Carp

tiddlertamer

Aside from all other matters, are carp the hardest fighting fish to be found on these islands?

(cue someone proposing gudgeon as the best pound for pound fighting fish. :) )

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from all other matters, are carp the hardest fighting fish to be found on these islands?

(cue someone proposing gudgeon as the best pound for pound fighting fish. :) )

A very hard question to answer as different fishing styles seem to lend themselves to land some species better than others.

I used to fish an any method day on a smallish trout lake. It was mostly stocky rainbow fishing with fish up to 4lbish which were good frisky fighters on the float rod just like on a fly rod, but they didn't seem like super fighters.

The second time i went i decided to take the pole and boy did i have a shock. A 3lb rainbow can and will bottom out a fourteens elastic. I don't know about you lot, but Ive landed a few (not a lot, 10 maybe) low double figure carp on a fourteen's elastic and not had it bottomed out.

Ive done a fair bit of Salmon fishing and someone trying to hit and hold a 20lb fresh salmon on a pole is something i would like to see. I fancy they would end up water skiing. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Carp fisheries are here to stay but I have noticed that quite a few fisheries are now converting one of their lakes to silver fish. Me personally i don't mind carp but my favourite fish is tench as for hardess fighting fish I would say it has to be a river caught barbel

Darren

Carp don't fight as hard as trout definitely, or tench (especially the males). I have no experience of salmon or barbel but I would expect they would fight harder too, although they would have the benefit of flowing water.

I've had 5lb male tench that make a 20lb carp feel like a bleak ;)

If only dace grew to 5lb...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hardest fighting fish in UK freshwater? (ignoring the "Mighty Mouse" tiddlers)

Pound for pound

1. Mullet

2. Seatrout

3. Salmon

4. Barbel

5. Male Tench (stronger than carp of the same size)

6. Carp

Go overseas and there are plenty of freshwater fish that beat that

Trahira

Payara

Tigerfish

(Mahseer - overrated IMHO, likewise Peacock Bass)

Bring in seafish, especially tropical seafish, and there is a long list of contenders that beat most freshwater fish hands down

1. Bonefish

2. Permit

3. Tarpon

4. Any one of several species of tuna or the larger mackerels

At the moment I am being plagued by middle-sized carp in my attempt to catch a grass carp, so I am definitely not enamoured of carp - and having seen the muddy state of the slower rivers of New South Wales and Victoria and the wall-to-wall carp populations therein, am not at all pleased to find them in UK rivers.

We may wind up in the same situation as Australia, where it is ILLEGAL TO RETURN CARP TO THE WATER

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Carp don't fight as hard as trout definitely, or tench (especially the males). I have no experience of salmon or barbel but I would expect they would fight harder too, although they would have the benefit of flowing water.

I've had 5lb male tench that make a 20lb carp feel like a bleak ;)

If only dace grew to 5lb...!

Carp may not fight as hard, pound for pound, as trout.

But they are surely far more cunning...

If trout had cunning then fluff chucking would never have come about.

Trout really are simply too easy on coarse fishing methods. Though then again, would you really fancy a trout supper caught on maggot or caster. :yucky:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Carp may not fight as hard, pound for pound, as trout.

But they are surely far more cunning...

If trout had cunning then fluff chucking would never have come about.

Trout really are simply too easy on coarse fishing methods. Though then again, would you really fancy a trout supper caught on maggot or caster. :yucky:

Tiddlertamer

Look at it like this if you fail to catch a trout on maggot for your supper, at least you will still have some maggots which you can always use in a sandwich or perhaps use them in a stir fry or a curry...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hardest fighting fish in UK freshwater? (ignoring the "Mighty Mouse" tiddlers)

Pound for pound

1. Mullet

2. Seatrout

3. Salmon

4. Barbel

5. Male Tench (stronger than carp of the same size)

6. Carp

Interesting stuff.

But ignoring pound for pound comparisons, what would be the individual hardest fighting fish in the UK?

Is it a 50/60lb carp, (probably eaten too many boilies... :rolleyes: ) a huge salmon, maybe even a 40lb pike...? A 20lb barbel per chance?

Which dream fish, were we to confront it, would put up the best fight?

Interesting stuff.

But ignoring pound for pound comparisons, what would be the individual hardest fighting fish in the UK?

a huge salmon,

Apart from contacting a 300lb plus Atlantic Sturgeon !!! (covered by previous threads) a 60 lb-plus salmon wins easily. Not only well up the "punching above their weight" table but enough weight to make it count.

I have had 30lb (Pacific) salmon, and they pull hard and long, so a really big Atlantic salmon would be a real challenge.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In my experience pound for pound a barbel far outfights a carp although a river carp has plenty of giddyup too. One fella landed a 26lb 5oz mirror from our river on the first day on his barbel rod so you can imagine the pleasure that gave! I suppose it depends on how you judge a fight too as some fish fight long and hard but don't make sudden rapid charges that require ultra fast reaction whilst others speed off in every direction. Catfish are awesome pullers for example but do they zoom off like a barbel? I think not unless I have only caught the whimpy ones :rolleyes: