Hackett Lakes Nottingham

dutch1862

Hi

I've not been on here for a while, in fact about a year. It's amazing what becoming a Dad does to your time!!

Anyhow I'm planning a day off work soon so that I can get some fishing in and fancy giving this place a bash. Anyone on here been there before and got any tips? I think it'll be the smaller lake that I'll try.

Failing that anywhere near Nottingham that you can get a day ticket for that you'd recommend for someone who isn't bothered what he catches so long as he does!

Cheers all

Rob

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

How did u get on? I live 5 min from these lakes yet have never tried them, but have always been interested to know what they are like, being pretty new. Details and tips please!

Oh I've not been yet. I wanted some tips before I went ideally! :-)

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

I mostly fish the Trent but fished a few stillwaters with a friend during the closed season. Hacketts was probably overall the best we found.

We fished the large lake 3 times. Mostly Carp but had Bream (biggest 4 lb 9 ozs) The Carp, Common & Mirror, average about 4 lbs, biggest about 8 lbs. We used a groundbait feeder, 8 lb hooklength, hairigged size 12 barbless with flavoured meat or crab pellet, maggots also good. Any bigger hook stopped the bites almost completely. It was surprising how big the luncheon meat you could use. Cast out into the middle of the lake. Often have matches at weekends but it is big enough to not interfere with the pleasure fisherman. £6 for one rod, £7 for two. Barbless hooks only, no other bans. We fished the swims about peg 20 and caught all three days. Does get very choppy when the wind blows. Has a website, always has bailiff on site, day ticket on bank. Portaloo!

As I said I'm not really that keen on ponds but would go back to Hacketts.

I mostly fish the Trent but fished a few stillwaters with a friend during the closed season. Hacketts was probably overall the best we found.

We fished the large lake 3 times. Mostly Carp but had Bream (biggest 4 lb 9 ozs) The Carp, Common & Mirror, average about 4 lbs, biggest about 8 lbs. We used a groundbait feeder, 8 lb hooklength, hairigged size 12 barbless with flavoured meat or crab pellet, maggots also good. Any bigger hook stopped the bites almost completely. It was surprising how big the luncheon meat you could use. Cast out into the middle of the lake. Often have matches at weekends but it is big enough to not interfere with the pleasure fisherman. £6 for one rod, £7 for two. Barbless hooks only, no other bans. We fished the swims about peg 20 and caught all three days. Does get very choppy when the wind blows. Has a website, always has bailiff on site, day ticket on bank. Portaloo!

As I said I'm not really that keen on ponds but would go back to Hacketts.

Any tench and decent roach, as far as you know? What's the margin or cloe-in fishing like (my preferred option). Thanks

If you do not mind travelling only 26 miles further. The Devon Mouth, where it meets the Trent in Newark, is practically fishing its' head off. Barbel upto 10lb and Chub upto 6lb. Throw in the usual rareities, like Perch :D , Roach and even Bleak, you should have a great day. Baits to use, Red Maggot, Lobworm and Luncheon Meat.

If you want Nottingham specifically, then I recommend the Nottingham Canal near the Trent entrance.

If you do not mind travelling only 26 miles further. The Devon Mouth, where it meets the Trent in Newark, is practically fishing its' head off. Barbel upto 10lb and Chub upto 6lb. Throw in the usual rareities, like Perch :D , Roach and even Bleak, you should have a great day. Baits to use, Red Maggot, Lobworm and Luncheon Meat.

If you want Nottingham specifically, then I recommend the Nottingham Canal near the Trent entrance.

I've never eben HEARD of the Devon Mouth - is it a river, and where on the map are u talking about? A link to multimap or google earth would be appreciated.

There's plenty of other fishing around Nottingham - lakes,ponds,pits,canals,river, weirs, etc etc.

I've never eben HEARD of the Devon Mouth - is it a river, and where on the map are u talking about? A link to multimap or google earth would be appreciated.

There's plenty of other fishing around Nottingham - lakes,ponds,pits,canals,river, weirs, etc etc.

The River Devon is a small river that runs through Newark On trent. If you travel from Nottingham on the A46 you will meet a roundabout that takes the A46 on the Newark Bypass. Ignore it and take the 2nd exit B6166.

After 1 mile you cross the River Devon.

At the Bridge where you cross it you are less than a quarter of a mile from the Devon Mouth where it meets the river Trent.

Type this into google maps, Newark Marina Ltd Address:‎ as this sits on the River Devon.