looking for a sleeper setup

Darren T

Guest Rabbit

For me its a big no!!Ii am sure you care about the fish welfare, but I would never relax for one second whilst fishing for carp in the margins. why would you want to do it any other way?

in my book if you are fishing the margins then you need to be stalking, building up a few swims with some loose feed and creeping up on any feeding with with float tackle, keeping hold of the rod of course, because if you don't it's a lost rod being towed around by a hapless carp. An 8 foot margin rod is ideal for this method and is one of the most exciting things in Angling. IYCF RUBBISH, they need to come up with something new every week

I prefer K.I.S.S ....Keep It Simple Stupid :D

Edited by Rabbit

Just go carp fishing, then you can have two or even three sleeper rods out at the same time.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

well thanks for the advice! i think i'll knock that idea on the head!

the original plan behind the idea was that i dont want to sit there with three rods out for hours on end bored stupid. My current rod says it should be used with lines upto 6lb so maybe i'll pick something up later that will be able to handle some heavier lines and bigger fish for when i am fishing the River or looking for some larger fish.

Ta

Got to say that I have reservations about this idea of intently float fishing whilst leaving another rod to fish for itself. We used to have a known thirty pound pike that was caught by such an angler. The pike rig did not get the attention that it should have, our nurtured pike became a dead pike, pitiful finding her floating in the reeds a few days after the event. Personally I think that anglers should stick to one species and give them 100%.

Very true Peter, when your talking about pike that is. Safest way to fish for them is with one rod and by using a float

If you don't want to get bored than I'd suggest a mobile approach with a shortish rod moving swims every half hour/hour

TC is a guideline to what a rod can cast but as mentioned above, action can play a part in a rods power along with the number of rings.

Edited by Neil G

I think as general advice, concentrating on one method is the way to go. However, to add a little balance, I would say that, in certain circumstances, there is nothing wrong with leaving a rod to fish itself while you floatfish. I agree that it's not a great idea for a beginner though, or you might end up tying yourself up in knots.

There's no point fishing a 'sleeper' if you expect lots of bites. That's just fishing a second rod, and you'll get very frustrated trying to keep both rods fishing. Only use one if you expect only a couple of bites or so throughout the day.

Secondly, only fish like this if you're fishing for fish like carp, tench or bream, and only with rigs that are self-hooking. Preferably with selective baits too, e.g. a boilie on a hair/bolt rig. If you leave a rod out with a worm on a free running rig, you'll end up deep-hooking fish of all species. You'll need to use an alarm too (low volume).

Thirdly, never fish a rod like this for pike, perch, zander, chub, or any other fish which are liable to swallow a bait.

It's probably true, though, that by doing this your floatfishing will suffer!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

thanks for that anderoo. i will confess that the idea was as you said, to just put out a rod not really expecting anything but targeting some of the bigger carp with a self hooking rig and some larger baits like boilies etc.

knowing that certain fish will at times just wolf a bait down i would certainly never leave a rig like that out targeting those species.

Coincedence this thread being here the day i first fished in the way you described :) It was also the first time ive ever used boileys, hair rigs, bolt rigs and hooks bigger than size 10 for anything other than pike and sea fish. I had a lively days float fishing and the "sleeper" rod worked as intended (one fish lost, 1 landed) but i also learnt a couple of lessons. One being i need stronger hook lengths on the carp rod, probably more like 10lbs and the other being its best not to fish to close to any snags or margins on the sleeper rod. Next time im going to fish with it in open water so i have more time to get to it before the fish gets to a snag.

Obviosly if your catching frequently on both rods bring one in or you will end up in a predicament like others have said.